Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jan Sales have started.

Getting a few notifications coming through and one is for the Magic Shine lamp. At this price it will be a snip---IF it is as good as many of you say-it is reliable and if it has enough battery life in it for a 4 hour ride.

It is not one of my favourite choices for a lamp but at this price it will be hard to turn down

So what are the problems and is it powerful enough to light up the road without bursting into flames or breaking down?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Getting a few notifications coming through and one is for the Magic Shine lamp. At this price it will be a snip---IF it is as good as many of you say-it is reliable and if it has enough battery life in it for a 4 hour ride.

It is not one of my favourite choices for a lamp but at this price it will be hard to turn down

So what are the problems and is it powerful enough to light up the road without bursting into flames or breaking down?
    Yes, it lights the road well. I have one with the recalled battery and chose not to worry about it. The only problem I had was that there was not always a response to the button that makes it switch modes. I put a drop or two of WD40 into the contacts and it has never failed to respond since.

I have been totally pleased with mine.

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stap, could you educate us on this lamp, I am looking for a good model for Monica and I to install. Tired of loosing riding time to the early sunset this time of year.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one a year ago and liked it so well that I bought another two this year. They're cheap enough I don't worry about moving them from bike to bike. I just buy another light.

Night blindness runs in my family and it's hit me pretty hard. The MS provides me with adequate lighting on my commutes. It's probably overkill for pleasure rides in the country, but here in the city, it's just about right.

It it a perfect light? No. I'd prefer an asymmetric beam pattern--flat on top, less spill out the sides. But I understand they also sell to MTBers, and symmetric, besides being cheaper to produce, is better for them.

I can also recommend their taillight. It is every bit as powerful as the legendary DiNotte 140R (which I also own), but it runs from the MS battery.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MS is a reverse-engineered copy of a Lupine; not quite as nice, but without the Lupine's $250 price tag.

I'm another MS owner who hasn't done the battery recall. A year or so ago, I had a battery quit charging, received what was then the most current battery as a replacement, and I haven't had any problems, save for one broken o-ring (fixed in about 30 seconds). I'm not crazy about the o-ring mount (I'd much rather have a snap-in mount like a Cygolite), but other than that it's been a good light. The area where I live has little in the way of street lighting, so I'm thinking of trying one of the quad-emitter versionss.