Thread: Indoor trainer

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indoor trainer

Got a Kinetics by Kurt Road Machine indoor trainer for Christmas.
    Anyone have any experience with this model? Just wondering if I should keep or trade for a CycleOps or something else.
    Thanks and Merry Christmas!!

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany. Just ordered a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105 to replace my "destroyed" CAAD 10 2.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one last July to do my physical therapy after knee surgery. Rode it every day for 3 weeks before the doc let me out on the road again.
    My previous trainer was a Cyclops. The KK Road Machine is MUCH better. Keep it and ride the heck out of it.
    Since you can't ride today (crappy rain ) put the bike on it and burn those extra calories you've been packing in all week.
    Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by RonH; 12-25-11 at 11:02 AM.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105 on order

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All indoor trainers are of the devil and should be tossed into the firey Pit of Hell.

But if you must, the Kurt Kinetic is a good one. It's what I use when I'm demon-possessed.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 For the Kurt. I have a Minoura, but from everything that I have read, the Kurt is better than the Clyclops.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a KK Road Machine. It's a well built machine. The only problem is the reverse relativity effect. I've gotten on mine and rode it for an hour. When I get off I've found the rest of civilization has only aged 12 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro56 View Post
    I have a KK Road Machine. It's a well built machine. The only problem is the reverse relativity effect. I've gotten on mine and rode it for an hour. When I get off I've found the rest of civilization has only aged 12 minutes.

Hell, I think my ancient Blackburn wind trainer puts out the same ratio as that.
    Last edited by Louis; 12-25-11 at 09:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KK makes an excellent trainer with outstanding customer support. Hard to go wrong keeping it.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twentysomething View Post
    Got a Kinetics by Kurt Road Machine indoor trainer for Christmas.
    Anyone have any experience with this model? Just wondering if I should keep or trade for a CycleOps or something else.
    Thanks and Merry Christmas!!
    You have received one of the best trainers, if not THE best. Here's a review:

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a Kinetics by Kurt Road Machine indoor trainer for Christmas...Just wondering if I should...trade for a CycleOps or something else.
    I certainly hope not. I just bought a KK Road Machine for myself based on the posts in this subforum and in the Road Cycling subforum. Supposedly it is one of the better trainers out there. I will be setting mine up today.

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll come to hate it well, soon enough. The Road Machine is a great trainer.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

My Bikes
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2, 2010 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rock and Roll!!

I currently own a CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro and a Kurt Kinetics Rock and Roll.

The Cycleops is an adequate stationary trainer. I actually like the way it engages the steel skewer heads better than the way the KK unit does this. I also prefer the lever for engaging the rear wheel on the CycleOps but at times this lever can be inconsistent and requires a bit more random fiddling to get it to work. The CycleOps is much louder then the KK unit. If noise is an issue take this into consideration.

As far as the Kurt Kinetics Rock and Roll goes this video is what compelled me to purchase one:

This ability to rock the bike back and forth as one would while riding outdoors is AWESOME!!! One might think it would be rather unstable but the truth is I've yet to push it to the point where I thought it might actually tip over. Far from it!! This trainer is rock solid!! And the workout your core muscles get cannot be had on other trainers!

Like the unit you currently have the locking mechanism for the rear axle/skewer is a bit more clunky than the CycleOps. And the twist knob for engaging the rear tire doesn't really allow for an exact setting that can be precisely repeated day in and day out. It does runs a lot quieter than the CycleOps unit! The few nits I mention here are really minor. I LOVE my Rock and Roll and clearly I ride inside more often since buying it!

So if you are considering an upgrade of your trainer look no further than the Kurt Kinetics Rock and Roll.
    Last edited by VertigoFlyer; 12-26-11 at 03:19 PM. Reason: video link

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KK Road Machine is excellent. Far quieter and better built with a never leak guarantee. Keep it. Rock and Roll is a fad!
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what you do?

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    KK Road Machine is excellent. Far quieter and better built with a never leak guarantee. Keep it. Rock and Roll is a fad!
    Maybe, but I like the idea and am tempted to try one. OTOH there are these reviews that do seem to have an interesting point:

Part 1

Part 2

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot