Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-25-11, 01:20 PM   #1
aquist

Bikes: Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
arthritus and cycling

my left knee is hurting I still ride a bit and am wondering if that hurts or helps my knee. I stopped trying to ride with the local club cuz I can't keep up and am dnf off the back. I am going to be 72 in Feb. the left leg was badly broken in 1980 due to being hit by an 18 wheeler, in fact I was dead. they resuscitated me with defrib. mostly my left leg has been ok for over 30 years but now it wants to buckle under me.
aquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-11, 01:23 PM   #2
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-riding-a-bike
Old 12-25-11, 04:19 PM   #3
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Bikes:
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquist View Post
my left knee is hurting I still ride a bit and am wondering if that hurts or helps my knee. I stopped trying to ride with the local club cuz I can't keep up and am dnf off the back. I am going to be 72 in Feb. the left leg was badly broken in 1980 due to being hit by an 18 wheeler, in fact I was dead. they resuscitated me with defrib. mostly my left leg has been ok for over 30 years but now it wants to buckle under me.
I found out through the length of my years, when one think things are bad, it is time to count their blessing!!
1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
1989 Centurion Master Ironman
1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Btr)
1985 Raleigh Prestige
1985 Raleigh Competition
1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1
19? Raleigh M50 MTB
19? Cannondale F300 MTB

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K
http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
75,Old,Dirty,&Fast
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 04:28 AM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Those old injuries come back to haunt you and in your case it has taken some time. Whatever you do-- If it hurts-Don't go out with the fast boys. Time to get the stamina up and go distance for a change--or frequency.

Have times when I can hardly walk with knee problems but get on a bike and 30 miles later it is no worse. That bit of exercise has its own pay back time and although I may not feel better- regular and often will keep the knees working and the pain eases.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 09:35 AM   #5
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
The knee has so many structures involved with it that knee pain can be any number of things or combination of things, not just arthritis. The main thing is to get to your Doc, especially an orthopedist, ASAP and have them check it. It might be something as simple as stretching and strengthening and taking an anti-inflammatory and icing your knee for 20-30 minutes. The problem is, if you don't get it checked and it is just a minor thing, it could turn into something worse. Since you're not a 19 year old athlete that heals quickly, it's even more important. You could have a meniscus problem, patellar tendon problem, the tissue under the knee-cap could be the problem, and the first one is inside the knee capsule, the second one is on top of the knee, and the last one is under the knee-cap but outside the knee capsule, and that's just three of the things it could be. So go get a good knee evaluation by a good orthopedist, find out exactly what the problem is, and get it fixed BEFORE it gets much worse. If it's the worst case scenario and you need a knee replacement, then it's also important to start rehab BEFORE surgery so that you can come back quickly.
HIPCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 12:56 PM   #6
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPCHIP View Post
The knee has so many structures involved with it that knee pain can be any number of things or combination of things, not just arthritis. The main thing is to get to your Doc, especially an orthopedist, ASAP and have them check it. It might be something as simple as stretching and strengthening and taking an anti-inflammatory and icing your knee for 20-30 minutes. The problem is, if you don't get it checked and it is just a minor thing, it could turn into something worse. Since you're not a 19 year old athlete that heals quickly, it's even more important. You could have a meniscus problem, patellar tendon problem, the tissue under the knee-cap could be the problem, and the first one is inside the knee capsule, the second one is on top of the knee, and the last one is under the knee-cap but outside the knee capsule, and that's just three of the things it could be. So go get a good knee evaluation by a good orthopedist, find out exactly what the problem is, and get it fixed BEFORE it gets much worse. If it's the worst case scenario and you need a knee replacement, then it's also important to start rehab BEFORE surgery so that you can come back quickly.
Yep, DO IT!!!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 09:28 PM   #7
Closed Office

Bikes:
My doctor said bicycling is good for the knees, unless it is done in excess.

I'm not a very social person and I never do group rides. Mine are to get to work or to get the errands done. I also like to take the time to enjoy them. If any of that sounds good to you, it should take some pressure off your knee. It all sounds good to me.
Closed Office is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 02:44 PM   #8
aquist

Bikes: Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others
thanx for all of your comments, i will try to do what you reccomend
aquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 03:13 PM   #9
RedC 

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquist View Post
thanx for all of your comments, i will try to do what you reccomend
Look for a more favorable group while you're at it. We have what we call the "Breakfast Club" which is mostly retirees and we do a "no drop ride" that goes as fast or as slow as everybody feels on a given day. Some times some of the young crowd that is "re-hab ing from one thing or another drops back and joins us but mostly those guys leave us before we get out of the parking lot and we get all the good things about group riding without punishing ourselves

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix
RedC is offline   Reply With Quote