Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

arthritus and cycling

my left knee is hurting I still ride a bit and am wondering if that hurts or helps my knee. I stopped trying to ride with the local club cuz I can't keep up and am dnf off the back. I am going to be 72 in Feb. the left leg was badly broken in 1980 due to being hit by an 18 wheeler, in fact I was dead. they resuscitated me with defrib. mostly my left leg has been ok for over 30 years but now it wants to buckle under me.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquist View Post
    my left knee is hurting I still ride a bit and am wondering if that hurts or helps my knee. I stopped trying to ride with the local club cuz I can't keep up and am dnf off the back. I am going to be 72 in Feb. the left leg was badly broken in 1980 due to being hit by an 18 wheeler, in fact I was dead. they resuscitated me with defrib. mostly my left leg has been ok for over 30 years but now it wants to buckle under me.
    I found out through the length of my years, when one think things are bad, it is time to count their blessing!!
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
    1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
    1989 Centurion Master Ironman
    1986 Schwinn Prelude(Beater)
    1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Beater2)
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
    1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
    1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K (commuter)
    http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
    74,Old,Dirty,&Fast

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those old injuries come back to haunt you and in your case it has taken some time. Whatever you do-- If it hurts-Don't go out with the fast boys. Time to get the stamina up and go distance for a change--or frequency.

Have times when I can hardly walk with knee problems but get on a bike and 30 miles later it is no worse. That bit of exercise has its own pay back time and although I may not feel better- regular and often will keep the knees working and the pain eases.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The knee has so many structures involved with it that knee pain can be any number of things or combination of things, not just arthritis. The main thing is to get to your Doc, especially an orthopedist, ASAP and have them check it. It might be something as simple as stretching and strengthening and taking an anti-inflammatory and icing your knee for 20-30 minutes. The problem is, if you don't get it checked and it is just a minor thing, it could turn into something worse. Since you're not a 19 year old athlete that heals quickly, it's even more important. You could have a meniscus problem, patellar tendon problem, the tissue under the knee-cap could be the problem, and the first one is inside the knee capsule, the second one is on top of the knee, and the last one is under the knee-cap but outside the knee capsule, and that's just three of the things it could be. So go get a good knee evaluation by a good orthopedist, find out exactly what the problem is, and get it fixed BEFORE it gets much worse. If it's the worst case scenario and you need a knee replacement, then it's also important to start rehab BEFORE surgery so that you can come back quickly.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HIPCHIP View Post
    The knee has so many structures involved with it that knee pain can be any number of things or combination of things, not just arthritis. The main thing is to get to your Doc, especially an orthopedist, ASAP and have them check it. It might be something as simple as stretching and strengthening and taking an anti-inflammatory and icing your knee for 20-30 minutes. The problem is, if you don't get it checked and it is just a minor thing, it could turn into something worse. Since you're not a 19 year old athlete that heals quickly, it's even more important. You could have a meniscus problem, patellar tendon problem, the tissue under the knee-cap could be the problem, and the first one is inside the knee capsule, the second one is on top of the knee, and the last one is under the knee-cap but outside the knee capsule, and that's just three of the things it could be. So go get a good knee evaluation by a good orthopedist, find out exactly what the problem is, and get it fixed BEFORE it gets much worse. If it's the worst case scenario and you need a knee replacement, then it's also important to start rehab BEFORE surgery so that you can come back quickly.
    Yep, DO IT!!!!
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My doctor said bicycling is good for the knees, unless it is done in excess.

I'm not a very social person and I never do group rides. Mine are to get to work or to get the errands done. I also like to take the time to enjoy them. If any of that sounds good to you, it should take some pressure off your knee. It all sounds good to me.
    mainlytext.com/bike.html Bicycling in winter, the entertainment version

My Bikes
    Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx for all of your comments, i will try to do what you reccomend

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquist View Post
    thanx for all of your comments, i will try to do what you reccomend
    Look for a more favorable group while you're at it. We have what we call the "Breakfast Club" which is mostly retirees and we do a "no drop ride" that goes as fast or as slow as everybody feels on a given day. Some times some of the young crowd that is "re-hab ing from one thing or another drops back and joins us but mostly those guys leave us before we get out of the parking lot and we get all the good things about group riding without punishing ourselves
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix