Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-11, 09:55 PM   #1
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
Thread Starter
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Pudding, not Pie............

Persimmon pudding was often served at holiday get-togethers on my mother's side of the family when I was young. Recently bought some persimmon pulp from a lady who lives nearby. Found a recipe in dear old Mom's file of recipes ("1965 Indiana Winning Recipe"). Yesterday, for the very first time, I made Persimmon Pudding and served it today (Christmas!) to my family. My brother said he liked it and that it tasted like he remembers. My wife ate a little and said it's OK. My son ate one bite and offered the rest to my brother. It's an acquired taste. I like it.

__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-11, 11:31 PM   #2
Velo Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Bikes:
Posts: 3,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pudding is gross. Persimmon pudding is interesting, and the flavor may be OK, but I can't ignore that pudding texture.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 03:10 AM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pudding is only suitable as a substitute when Pie is not available. On top of that Pudding has to have custard and unless it is frozen-cannot be held in the hand easily.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 08:56 AM   #4
miss kenton
Senior Member
 
miss kenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Blueberry Capital of the WORLD, NJ
Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
Posts: 2,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
On Christmas Eve, I made a different type of pudding-Yorkshire pudding-to go with Prime Rib and roasted potatoes. Common amongst our British friends on this forum, but a novelty here in NJ. It was well received, especially by my mother(British) and M.I.L. (Irish) who stated they hadn't had it in years and years! Stapfam, did you have yours?
miss kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 09:01 AM   #5
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cantonment, FL
Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Posts: 9,435
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Miss K' that looks good. I love Yorkshire pudding, just don't see it much in the Deep South. Monica made it once as a desert for Beef Wellington. Mmmmmm.

Bill
__________________
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 12:27 PM   #6
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
On Christmas Eve, I made a different type of pudding-Yorkshire pudding-to go with Prime Rib and roasted potatoes. Common amongst our British friends on this forum, but a novelty here in NJ. It was well received, especially by my mother(British) and M.I.L. (Irish) who stated they hadn't had it in years and years! Stapfam, did you have yours?
NO Roast dinner is right unless it has Yorkshire pudding. Normally over here we make them as individual portions about the size of a large cupcake but more than one can be had at a sitting--I had 4 on Christmas day.

But it is not only for serving with the main meal. Can be a starter with rich Onion gravy poured over it or a dessert when spread with jam and Cream.

And if anyone has not tried them--Then get the Recipe book out and make them. Can see it being the next "In" food for the US.

Edit---

Toad-in-the-Hole.

This is Yorkshire pudding made exactly as you have in a large Pie dish--and the Toad is Sausage. Leave a bit of space between the sausages and just bung in the Oven. Serve with Onion gravy again and enjoy.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 12-26-11 at 12:31 PM.
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 12:32 PM   #7
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
Thread Starter
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
On Christmas Eve, I made a different type of pudding-Yorkshire pudding-to go with Prime Rib and roasted potatoes. Common amongst our British friends on this forum, but a novelty here in NJ. It was well received, especially by my mother(British) and M.I.L. (Irish) who stated they hadn't had it in years and years! Stapfam, did you have yours?
The only time I've had Yorkshire pudding was in Ontario thirty years ago on our Atlanta-to-NH-to-Milwaukee bike adventure. It was good but I haven't run across it since. I'm sure it must be in a cookbook I have (Joy of Cooking, etc.) or online. Perhaps the next Taste Sensation in the Heart of America, as suggested by Stepfam.
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 02:03 PM   #8
Pete In Az
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arizona
Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Apparently, JanMM isn't the only one who likes Persimmon pudding.

Unfortunately, I have a couple of tins of Christmas cookies and 3/4 of a chocolate cake, so I won't be able to try any recipes for Persimmon pudding until at least next year. Yes, I realize that's less then a week away.
Pete In Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 03:39 PM   #9
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
Thread Starter
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete In Az View Post
Apparently, JanMM isn't the only one who likes Persimmon pudding.

Unfortunately, I have a couple of tins of Christmas cookies and 3/4 of a chocolate cake, so I won't be able to try any recipes for Persimmon pudding until at least next year. Yes, I realize that's less then a week away.
Next Year is next Sunday. Better be selecting one of those recipes soon.
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 03:44 PM   #10
az_cyclist
Senior Member
 
az_cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona
Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
Posts: 1,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mom makes me persimmon cookies every time I visit her. She lives in western Indiana.
az_cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 08:40 AM   #11
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cantonment, FL
Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Posts: 9,435
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Here is a Yorkshire pudding recipe I found on Google just now:
Yorkshire Pudding Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp melted butter
  • 2 eggs, beaten*
  • 2-4 Tbsp of roast drippings
* If you double the recipe, add an extra egg to the batter.

Method

1 Sift together the flour and salt in a large bowl. Form a well in the center. Add the milk, melted butter, and eggs and beat until the batter is completely smooth (no lumps), the consistency of whipping cream. Let sit for an hour.
2 Heat oven to 450F. Add roast drippings to a 9x12-inch pyrex or ceramic casserole dish, coating the bottom of the dish. Heat the dish in the oven for 10 minutes.
For a popover version you can use a popover pan or a muffin pan, putting at least a teaspoon of drippings in the bottom of each well, and place in oven for just a couple minutes.

3 Carefully pour the batter into the pan (or the wells of muffin/popover pans, filling just 1/3 full), once the pan is hot. Cook for 15 minutes at 450F, then reduce the heat to 350F and cook for 15 to 20 more minutes, until puffy and golden brown.
Cut into squares to serve. Serves 6.




Bill

The image is the one Miss K' used so I suppose it is the same she has in mind. This is from the "Simply Recipes" website
__________________
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 09:37 PM   #12
miss kenton
Senior Member
 
miss kenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Blueberry Capital of the WORLD, NJ
Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
Posts: 2,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Here is a Yorkshire pudding recipe I found on Google just now:
Yorkshire Pudding Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp melted butter
  • 2 eggs, beaten*
  • 2-4 Tbsp of roast drippings
* If you double the recipe, add an extra egg to the batter.

Method

1 Sift together the flour and salt in a large bowl. Form a well in the center. Add the milk, melted butter, and eggs and beat until the batter is completely smooth (no lumps), the consistency of whipping cream. Let sit for an hour.
2 Heat oven to 450F. Add roast drippings to a 9x12-inch pyrex or ceramic casserole dish, coating the bottom of the dish. Heat the dish in the oven for 10 minutes.
For a popover version you can use a popover pan or a muffin pan, putting at least a teaspoon of drippings in the bottom of each well, and place in oven for just a couple minutes.

3 Carefully pour the batter into the pan (or the wells of muffin/popover pans, filling just 1/3 full), once the pan is hot. Cook for 15 minutes at 450F, then reduce the heat to 350F and cook for 15 to 20 more minutes, until puffy and golden brown.
Cut into squares to serve. Serves 6.




Bill

The image is the one Miss K' used so I suppose it is the same she has in mind. This is from the "Simply Recipes" website
That is the recipe I used, however I had to times it by 5 to serve 30 guests! Oddly enough, the dish used in the image I posted, is exactly like one of the dishes I used and my pudding came out just like the photo! I've discovered one need not have the skills of Julia Child to make Yorkshire pudding; kinda hard to mess it up.
miss kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 05:17 AM   #13
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Much better if made in muffin pans.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 07:00 AM   #14
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cantonment, FL
Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Posts: 9,435
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I'm going to make some this Sunday along with the Beef Top Sirloin roast I'll roast for dinner. Mmmmm.

Bill
__________________
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 08:18 AM   #15
miss kenton
Senior Member
 
miss kenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Blueberry Capital of the WORLD, NJ
Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
Posts: 2,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdon View Post
Much better if made in muffin pans.
Dudley, that's called a dinner roll.
miss kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 08:49 AM   #16
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
Dudley, that's called a dinner roll.
incorrect. Now, stop your culinary adventure and get back to your biscuits and gravy!
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 12:53 PM   #17
miss kenton
Senior Member
 
miss kenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Blueberry Capital of the WORLD, NJ
Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
Posts: 2,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdon View Post
incorrect. Now, stop your culinary adventure and get back to your biscuits and gravy!
Geographically incorrect. We don't do biscuits and gravy in NJ. We do hoagie rolls. Shows how much you know. Go eat some back bacon.
miss kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 01:20 PM   #18
Pete In Az
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arizona
Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Food Fight!
Pete In Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 01:50 PM   #19
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
Geographically incorrect. We don't do biscuits and gravy in NJ. We do hoagie rolls. Shows how much you know. Go eat some back bacon.
That's a Quebec thing. We do side bacon here.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 02:58 PM   #20
bigbadwullf
Senior Member
 
bigbadwullf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West, Tn.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stuffing, dressing, pudding. As long as it's in front of me, I'll eat it! You can whine and moan all you wish

I grew up eating stuffing. My wife's family(Southern USA) makes dressing. I like .......BOTH. Southerners make a LOT of damned good food but they don't know **** about .............................G R A V Y!! This crap with eggs in it is for the birds!
bigbadwullf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 05:22 PM   #21
miss kenton
Senior Member
 
miss kenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Blueberry Capital of the WORLD, NJ
Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
Posts: 2,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdon View Post
That's a Quebec thing. We do side bacon here.
"Side bacon"? Is that like "muffin top?" Better hit the trainer, Dudley.
miss kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 05:50 PM   #22
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
"Side bacon"? Is that like "muffin top?" Better hit the trainer, Dudley.
Here you go blueberry. Right from wiki..

"Bacon is prepared from several different cuts of meat. It is usually made from side and back cuts of pork, except in the United States, where it is almost always prepared from pork belly (typically referred to as "streaky", "fatty", or "American style" outside of the US and Canada). The side cut has more meat and less fat than the belly. Bacon may be prepared from either of two distinct back cuts: fatback, which is almost pure fat, and pork loin, which is very lean. Bacon-cured pork loin is known as back bacon."


Last edited by jdon; 12-28-11 at 05:54 PM.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 05:57 PM   #23
miss kenton
Senior Member
 
miss kenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Blueberry Capital of the WORLD, NJ
Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
Posts: 2,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdon View Post
Here you go blueberry. Right from wiki..

"Bacon is prepared from several different cuts of meat. It is usually made from side and back cuts of pork, except in the United States, where it is almost always prepared from pork belly (typically referred to as "streaky", "fatty", or "American style" outside of the US and Canada). The side cut has more meat and less fat than the belly. Bacon may be prepared from either of two distinct back cuts: fatback, which is almost pure fat, and pork loin, which is very lean. Bacon-cured pork loin is known as back bacon."

Excuse me! That's "MISS Pork belly" to the likes of you, Bacon boy.
miss kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 06:01 PM   #24
miss kenton
Senior Member
 
miss kenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Blueberry Capital of the WORLD, NJ
Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
Posts: 2,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How come it says "Pork Belly" in the original post and "blueberry" in the quote? jdon, what are you trying to pull?!?
miss kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 06:03 PM   #25
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
Excuse me! That's "MISS Pork belly" to the likes of you, Bacon boy.
Yeah, yeah. Just cook the Yorkshire pudding in muffin tins next time.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 PM.