Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-11, 07:15 PM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OT: A 72yo Journeys into the World of Smart Phones - W 7.5

I ordered a HTC Trophy with Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) today. It will be a (free) upgrade - along with paying for that 2 year contract and bigger data package.

I did a lot of reading on the Windows phone operating system, and this phone. Every consumer review I read was outstanding - 5 of 5 - and I read a lot of them.

Right now my current LG phone can not use aps, and only gets on the internet rather clumsily, as is the email program.

I will miss my real keyboard, but the choices for keyboard-equipped phones are quite limited, and the reviews of these phones are not that great.

So, hopefully, I can still learn and understand this new fangled Aps - I believe that W has only about 18,000 aps - about 17,990 too many for me

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-27-11 at 07:18 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 07:29 PM   #2
Velo Fellow
Senior Member
 
Velo Fellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not yet made the plunge into "smart" phones. My Samsung "flip" phone gets dropped every other day, fits in a jersey pocket, and is cheaply replaced. Besides, watching my son walk through life staring at his palm (he can navigate busy sidewalks & narrow hallways without looking up) just doesn't seem so attractive to me. Somebody else will have to throw those angry birds!
Velo Fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 07:29 PM   #3
Phil85207
Century bound
 
Phil85207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mesa Arizona
Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
Posts: 2,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good luck, I am about to do the same thing. My semi smart phone (Palm pre) is great, but looking for a sarger screen. Thinking about the Droid Incredible 2. We will see what happens.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 07:33 PM   #4
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
Good luck, I am about to do the same thing. My semi smart phone (Palm pre) is great, but looking for a sarger screen. Thinking about the Droid Incredible 2. We will see what happens.
If I can't use it or don't like it, I can always revert to my old phone, which still works great.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 07:40 PM   #5
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Posts: 11,041
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow View Post
I have not yet made the plunge into "smart" phones. My Samsung "flip" phone gets dropped every other day, fits in a jersey pocket, and is cheaply replaced. Besides, watching my son walk through life staring at his palm (he can navigate busy sidewalks & narrow hallways without looking up) just doesn't seem so attractive to me. Somebody else will have to throw those angry birds!
Last summer I saw a lady riding her comfort bike no hands on the sidewalk...while she was happily texting away.

I use the otterbox and beltline clip for it. I clip it on the backside of my waistband and run the earbuds line up my back it plays my favorite Pandora music stations. As a music lover, it really comes in handy for those long, hot stretches with no bends in sight, not to mention cranking up the blues when grinding out the hills.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 08:13 PM   #6
lphilpot
Saved by Grace
 
lphilpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The slow guy in the back
Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally got smart (phone, that is) about a year ago. Given that I work in IT, I rationalized that I needed to know what they're about, since 80% of the folks I deal with in and out of IT have them... I got an Android phone: a Samsung Galaxy S (AT&T name Captivate). Just finally upgraded it to 2.2 the other evening. While I'm not a rabid texter, having the increased functionality of the smart phone is nice. Whether or not it's worth the price is harder to quantify.
lphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 08:56 PM   #7
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953
 
cccorlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Posts: 6,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When my barely a phone mobile broke I got an iphone. It totally rocks. I am thrilled. It works really well and is easy to use. Heck, you can even talk to it and it actually works like in a sci-fi movie. In one week I don't know how I did without it.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 09:05 PM   #8
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
I ordered a HTC Trophy with Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) today. It will be a (free) upgrade - along with paying for that 2 year contract and bigger data package.

I did a lot of reading on the Windows phone operating system, and this phone. Every consumer review I read was outstanding - 5 of 5 - and I read a lot of them.

Right now my current LG phone can not use aps, and only gets on the internet rather clumsily, as is the email program.

I will miss my real keyboard, but the choices for keyboard-equipped phones are quite limited, and the reviews of these phones are not that great.

So, hopefully, I can still learn and understand this new fangled Aps - I believe that W has only about 18,000 aps - about 17,990 too many for me
Wonderful, that means I can be cell phone free for another 22 years
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 09:10 PM   #9
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
Wonderful, that means I can be cell phone free for another 22 years
Do you have a landline?

Why?
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 09:25 PM   #10
fasthair
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DnvrFox: It's App not aps All kidding a side smart phones are a wonderful thing. I'm a gadget geek and find my Android phone to be very useful. There are many uses for just on the bike alone that I think you will find after a couple of weeks there is no going back to a dumb phone. Because Google Maps is on my phone (I'm sure your phone will use Bing) along with the GPS I'm always pulling up the bike paths when I'm out exploring to see where I might want to head to next.

Have fun!

fasthair
fasthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 09:28 PM   #11
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA
 
flatlander_48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cathedral City, CA
Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
So, hopefully, I can still learn and understand this new fangled Aps - I believe that W has only about 18,000 aps - about 17,990 too many for me
To put this into perspective, Apple says the app count for the 4S is 500,000+, but that is only what is available through their Store. There are some other folks that work outside of the Store and are accessible if you Jailbreak your phone (at least I think that is the process).
flatlander_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 09:29 PM   #12
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: So Cal
Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Posts: 3,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I have an Iphone and it is a lot like having your computer and GPS everywhere you go. It will tell you about the weather. It lets me do my banking. I can load a ton of music. I can send and receicve pictures. I can even locate my wife or at least her phone by GPS. I don't even need to bring a book to the doctor office, I have kindle loaded and can retrieve my books. It has built in Navagation so if you ever get off track on a long ride just turn on the phone it will show me where I am and how to get where I want to go.

Sometimes I think the phone is smarter than me.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 09:33 PM   #13
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
I have an Iphone and it is a lot like having your computer and GPS everywhere you go. It will tell you about the weather. It lets me do my banking. I can load a ton of music. I can send and receicve pictures. I can even locate my wife or at least her phone by GPS. I don't even need to bring a book to the doctor office, I have kindle loaded and can retrieve my books. It has built in Navagation so if you ever get off track on a long ride just turn on the phone it will show me where I am and how to get where I want to go.

Sometimes I think the phone is smarter than me.
Well, my current phone has navigation, weather, music (if I wanted to pay for it), email, some web access, can send and receive pictures - so maybe it won't be such a change after all.

One of the features I will appreciate is the ability to read and edit WORD docs - something I do a lot of, but can't do on my current phone.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-27-11 at 09:39 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-11, 10:58 PM   #14
Red Rider
Don't mince words
 
Red Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vacaville, CA
Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Posts: 6,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Back in '04I got a Palm Treo that I kept for 3 yrs. I jumped to a Blackberry, which at the time was amazin. I needed a bigger screen, tho, and c_gallagh & I needed a way to sync our calendars, so in July of '10 we got Android smartphones. All was groovy.

Two weeks ago I won an iPad 2 in a raffle to support our local HS Robotics Club...and I get the Apple thing. Not enough to get an iPhone, but enough to think about it. Often.

I love how smartphones make me more productive, and how I can be connected when need be for my clients. No going back for this geek.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 07:39 AM   #15
NOS88
Senior Member
 
NOS88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just yesterday I used my Droid smart phone to check the weather before my ride; tracked my 27.83 mile ride (including elevation, average speed, total moving time, etc.); stopped to take a phone call from my wife; looked up and gave her directions for the cheapest place to get gas; found a restaurant and made dinner reservations (we're on a short vacation); and, found my way back to the hotel (yes, there was a short stretch where I wasn't sure where I was).

Like most tools, used properly, smart phones can be very helpful things.
__________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831
NOS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 09:05 AM   #16
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...
 
Dudelsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loovul
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Are you sure you want to pursue this?
__________________
Signature line for rent.
Dudelsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 09:59 AM   #17
HawkOwl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 2,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'll have to keep us up to speed on battery life. Almost everyone I know who has Android or iPhone systems complains of battery life unless they turn off about half the functionality. Many of them tell me they can't even make it through a complete business day on one charge. On the other hand our Blackberry Torch phones(touch screen and keypad) can go two or three days between recharges and still using all the device's functions. Don't do a lot of Wi-Fi internet and the time between recharges gets longer.

When our contract expires we'll be looking for something and have considered Windows phone as a replacement. Unless Blackberry comes through on their promises that is.
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 10:42 AM   #18
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post


Are you sure you want to pursue this?

DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 10:47 AM   #19
CACycling
Senior Member
 
CACycling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oxnard, CA
Bikes: '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
Posts: 4,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sons are heading to Europe tomorrow for 26 days and have downloaded apps for the airlines they are flying, Europe's train system and many other stuff that will help them find their way (hopefully). It is truly remarkable how much is available.
CACycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 10:51 AM   #20
gtragitt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, TX - Energy corridor
Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have Mango on my Samsung Focus. It is a 3G phone, but it is much better than my Wife's iPhone 4.
gtragitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 10:56 AM   #21
NOS88
Senior Member
 
NOS88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
You'll have to keep us up to speed on battery life. Almost everyone I know who has Android or iPhone systems complains of battery life unless they turn off about half the functionality. Many of them tell me they can't even make it through a complete business day on one charge. On the other hand our Blackberry Torch phones(touch screen and keypad) can go two or three days between recharges and still using all the device's functions. Don't do a lot of Wi-Fi internet and the time between recharges gets longer.

When our contract expires we'll be looking for something and have considered Windows phone as a replacement. Unless Blackberry comes through on their promises that is.
My battery life has been fine; I've gone three days without a need to charge. Of course I do turn off everything but what I'm currently using (on rides I keep the phone function on and the tracking program running). When I need to use the other functions, I simply turn them on. When job is completed I turn them off. It takes but a few seconds once you know how to do it. My youngest son jokes that "smart phone" really means you have to be very smart to figure it out. I don't know this to be true, but do know there is a learning curve, as with anything else. Now, he (my youngest son) must charge his in the middle of the day as well as at night. But he's using his to download music, watching streaming video, post photos to Facebook, etc. Those really do drain battery life.

Denver, remember that after Alice went down the rabbit hole she ultimately realized that the Queen screaming "Off with their heads!" was nothing more than one card in a deck of cards, and she woke up safe and sound in the same spot where her dream started. As with many things, the fears often seem bigger than the ultimate reality.
__________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831
NOS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 02:04 PM   #22
bigbadwullf
Senior Member
 
bigbadwullf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West, Tn.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Android. The only way to go
bigbadwullf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 03:23 PM   #23
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...
 
Dudelsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loovul
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
Denver, remember that after Alice went down the rabbit hole she ultimately realized that the Queen screaming "Off with their heads!" was nothing more than one card in a deck of cards, and she woke up safe and sound in the same spot where her dream started. As with many things, the fears often seem bigger than the ultimate reality.
That's what they want you to believe

Really the only major problem I've had with my iPhone is when I use a cycling app with it. It severely limits the battery life.

Otherwise they really are pretty cool.
__________________
Signature line for rent.
Dudelsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 05:25 PM   #24
Lightingguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
You'll have to keep us up to speed on battery life. Almost everyone I know who has Android or iPhone systems complains of battery life unless they turn off about half the functionality. .
I like to think of it as managing functionality. When I don't need WiFi I keep it off. I almost never use Bluetooth so it stay's off. GPS on occasion, but in all cases understanding what the phone is capable of and what it NEEDS on to be functional to the user is key. Many app's just don't need to be constantly sync'ing and accessing data, so disable that portion. As well, having an extra duty battery helps immensely and that alone is one of the advantages of some Android phones (among many disadvantages compared to iPhone, to head off a war). I have the extra life battery for my HTC Incredible and can go 3 days easily in moderate usage, though I am now trained, as it were, to charge overnight.

In my life, the improvements to many aspects of my daily routine more then make up for having been trained by the devices to care for it.
Lightingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 05:36 PM   #25
doctor j
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central Louisiana
Bikes:
Posts: 2,875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone use them to make phone calls?
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:12 AM.