Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is there such a beast for me??

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-27-11, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 59. I have had a serious injury in the past- broken neck/back. I have severe arthritis. Last spring I bought a Trek Feet First bike. I love the fact that the pedals are a bit forward. The handlebars look like the ones that the 'Wicked Witch of the West' in 'Oz'! Well, I was able to ride a very few times- 3-4. Then was having more back/neck pain and couldn't get the bike on the carrier on my VW. Found out my neck is much worse.
My bike is heavy for me- I think 30#. Is there a light-weight bike that doesn't have terribly skinny tires? Must still have the same type handlebars/pedal position.
If I had a minivan all would be ok- I could roll the bike in it. Don't have one.
I can't ride around here, as it isn't safe. I am only allowed to lift about 10#.
Can anybody suggest anything???? Thanks
Old 12-27-11, 09:04 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Here's a 22 pound crank forward bike by RANS. They have a full line of crank forward bikes - the Mini is the only one with 20" wheels. They also make recumbent bikes.

https://www.rans.com/mini
Old 12-28-11, 08:40 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I have similar issues but no where near as severe as yours. I own a Bacchetta Giro which is a blast until I have to load its 30 lbs on a Thule rack on my Passat. I agree, it's no fun.

I think the alternatives are costly. I could get the carbon fiber equivalent of my aluminum bike for $4000, or I could pay $600 for a trailer hitch to be installed on the Passat and another chunk of change for one of those nifty bike racks that only sit about a foot off the ground.

Over the next 18 months I'll probably go the latter route. Unfortunately, unless you ask others to load it for you (which might be the way to go if you're persuasive enough), you don't have that many other options.

Old 12-28-11, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Something like this:
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...e/TH990XT.html

I've seen them at group rides. They are very easy to load.

Old 12-28-11, 05:35 PM

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I have a friend building me a recumbent trike. I broke my back (fused T7-12) and neck over this past summer and am recovering pretty well. I can tolerate my regular bicycle on the trainer, but still can't get past 10-15 minutes at most. As much as I want to ride the bikes I own, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to yet. So the recmbent, for me, might be the better answer.
Old 12-28-11, 05:50 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I don't know where you live, but you mentioned Oz. If you are within striking range of Hays, Kansas, I'd strongly suggest a visit to the Rans factory. They have samples of all of their crank forward bikes that you can try. They're nice people too.
Old 01-04-12, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He- he 'groucho/retro'!!

When I mentioned 'OZ', I meant my bike looks like the bike that the Wicked Witch of the West was riding when she stole Toto!! Upright handlebars with baskets on the back/walk-thru!!

Anyway, thank you all for your info. I just started riding a little yesterday- friends loaded/unloaded for me. Right now, as I am unable to work, that seems to be the only alternative. They just go ahead and I catch up later....when it gets to hurt too much I just walk the bike.