Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Forums greeting card

Back in October of last year, I started this thread on the General Cycling Forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    I am a year-round cyclist in Boston, and an enthusiastic subscriber to Bike Forums. We seem to have a lot of Forum members around here. Whenever I'm out on the road and encounter a serious-appearing cyclist, hoping to meet a fellow BF subscriber, I try to inquire if they are on the Forums, and if not, I try to introduce it to them. Often these encounters are brief, and the best I can do beyond a quick explanation, is to give them the URL (“BikeForums [one word, emphasis on plural] dot net” [emphasis on net].)

I was thinking about making a little business type card, 3.5 x 2 inches, to hand out for their further consideration. A first draft of my message is:

[SEE ORIGINAL POST]

I chose the Forums listed to demonstrate and appeal to a wide range of interests, and as self-explanatory by title. Any comments or suggestions?
    I got some encouraging responses:

Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    …Believe it is a total waste of time and effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    I'm not at all sure about handing out business cards like that ... they remind me a bit too much of the soliciting that goes on in airports, or around places like the Eiffel Tower in Paris...
    Quote Originally Posted by billyymc View Post
    …Have you ever been approached out of the blue, out in public, by someone like that? I have. It's weird. Especially if they hand you materials to read. Like a laminated card. Or they are having a normal conversation with you then they spring "Jesus loves you" on you out of nowhere.

If someone has interest in reading about cycling online, they will eventually find BF.
    …to fuhgeddaboutit. I still think it’s a good idea; not soliciting, but more like pleasantly exchanging a business card with a potentially interested client for mutual benefit.

Last month I had the opportunity to learn how to use the Microsoft Publisher office program with the capability to design and print double-sided business cards; see photo below. Since the 50+ Forum distinguishes itself by its congenial and welcoming spirit, I'd be glad to offer these Bike Forum greeting cards gratis to anyone. Just send me a mailing address and I’ll send ten, or whatever requested, with your user name, or any other message of a similar nature.

I mentioned these cards to a local BF personal friend, a recent college grad and cycling roadie working as a bike courier, and he was interested, and even offered to reimburse me.

I also designed a double-sided joke card, based on an ethnic joke I once saw directed towards my own ethnic heritage (see below). Though intended towards snooty roadies, my friend is very pleasant and intelligent, with a degree in physics.

BF Greeting Card.jpg Joke Card.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed on the card, "...for a list some of the special interest forums..." should be, "...for a list of some of the special interest Forums..."

Fixed on the template.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great idea.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cards like this came with my Tilley hat. I've given a few of them out.

The jersey is an attention getter, but I don't know of anyone who came to BF because they saw me wear one. If anything, I probably scared them off.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used them for the super moderators at a site I helped start for dirt bikes. I gave them out at tracks and to shop owners that were interested. Might work here.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who owns www.roadbikerider.com and he hands out cards like that, if, after a 3-5 minute conversation the other person seems interested in "learning more".

BTW: my RBR jersey is my favorite.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast. R.I.P.

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hand out cards when asked about my Bright tail Light.

I also have BF cards with local info on them.

Encountered some that left BF because of the snarky replys from BF road riders.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a very good idea, Jim. If someone simply told me of a website, I'd probably forget the address by the time I got home. This concept is probably best suited for those who ride in groups or in areas with heavy bike traffic. I think I'd likely have to throw the cards at those few I pass (or pass me) on my travels!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike Forums greeting cards

Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    great idea

Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    I think this is a very good idea, Jim…
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Cards like this came with my Tilley hat. I've given a few of them out…

Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    We used them for the super moderators at a site I helped start for dirt bikes. I gave them out at tracks and to shop owners that were interested. Might work here…

Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    I hand out cards when asked about my Bright tail Light…
    Thanks for the replies. As I have mentioned, my idea is not to be a shill for Bike Forums, but to make serious and/or potential cyclists aware of it for their benefit. I serendipitously learned of Bike Forums from an offhand comment on a blog devoted to a newspaper cartoon strip, and I was already a serious cyclist for over 30 years. I added an addendum recently to my introductory cycling biography written when I first subscribed to BF, telling of how it affected my cycling lifestyle:

… Since joining Bike Forums, I have also ridden on the Second Annual Fifty Plus Ride...and with the Third Annual Ride...

Also since subscribing, I have adapted to riding my Cannondale Mountain Bike in rain and winter precipitation, including on icy roads, thanks to advice from the Forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    I have a friend who...hands out cards like that, if, after a 3-5 minute conversation the other person seems interested in "learning more"

Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    …If someone simply told me of a website, I'd probably forget the address by the time I got home. This concept is probably best suited for those who ride in groups or in areas with heavy bike traffic. I think I'd likely have to throw the cards at those few I pass (or pass me) on my travels!
    The opportunity to talk to other cyclists is indeed fleeting and limited, to describe what BF is all about; thus my idea of a greeting card. Not to sound pretentious, but a favorite quote of mine as to how we find our way in the world is “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”
    Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-11-12 at 03:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appear to be what?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”

Quote Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
    Appear to be what?
    Since this is a Buddhist proverb, I guess the answer might be, "Appear to be." or to quote the Firesign Theater, "Gee-You,-Are-You?" (spells GURU.)
    Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-14-12 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or"don't crush that dwarf,hand me the pliers