Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 131
  1. #1
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Advice on Low T?

    I can't find the post that was on here awhile back on testosterone patches but, inspired by that discussion, I had my doc test me for low T at my annual checkup last week. Did not expect to have it, but heck I'm training fairly hard and want to be sure. Well, I got a phone message from the doc tonight that everything checks fine EXCEPT that I have low testosterone. I'm supposed to give him a call.

    Any advice/experience?

    (Especially from those with experience?)
    Last edited by billydonn; 01-16-12 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Clarify my question

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    24,295
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had mine checked for the heck of it....475
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  3. #3
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot, Raleigh Delta (Project Bike)
    Posts
    6,759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    I can't find the post that was on here awhile back on testosterone patches but, inspired by that discussion, I had my doc test me for low T at my annual checkup last week. Did not expect to have it, but heck I'm training fairly hard and want to be sure. Well, I got a phone message from the doc tonight that everything checks fine EXCEPT that I have low testosterone. I'm supposed to give him a call.

    Any advice/experience?

    Oh yeah... my colonoscopy is set for Jan 27th.
    Yes, call your doctor, they will probably refer you to a urologist to rule out any medical reasons for low T. If there are no medical reasons, then the doctor can discuss treatment options with you such as supplements.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    central Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    6,792
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The patch may cause skin irritation (rashes, red spots, etc,) and you may have problems with it falling off when you sweat. Gel is a bit more fuss, but without the problems associated with the patch.

  5. #5
    Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    5,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you registered with the UCI?
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

  6. #6
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A colonoscopy offers a good opportunity for a digital prostate exam. According to this study, that often does not happen. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695146/

    Might want to put a bug in the ear of the gastroenterologist beforehand.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  7. #7
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    A colonoscopy offers a good opportunity for a digital prostate exam. According to this study, that often does not happen. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695146/

    Might want to put a bug in the ear of the gastroenterologist beforehand.
    Already done. My doc described this as "perfect". I am quite proud!

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  8. #8
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who was diagnosed with low testosterone and he opted to get an injection every few weeks instead of using a patch. He did notice that his athletic ability increased after he started the treatments.

    I just had my colonoscopy last week. The prep is not fun but it's not that bad, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Does the ignore feature just replace all of the poster's text with "Said something stupid" because that would be awesome.
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  9. #9
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talked to my doc just now and I'm going on a product called Testim. It's a gel. I expect to be getting in bar fights in no time.

    Or maybe I'll just recover better from a hard bike ride!
    Last edited by billydonn; 01-13-12 at 08:53 PM.

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  10. #10
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    central Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    6,792
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Or maybe I'll just recover better from a hard bike ride!
    That's what I noticed most.

    I don't have to worry about the UCI; my bike isn't a bike.

  11. #11
    Senior Member az_cyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    I have a friend who was diagnosed with low testosterone and he opted to get an injection every few weeks instead of using a patch. He did notice that his athletic ability increased after he started the treatments.

    I just had my colonoscopy last week. The prep is not fun but it's not that bad, either.
    but the drugs they give you are pretty good!
    I had my annual physical last week. Blood tests indicate my testosterone is on the lower end of normal. My doctor will have me get another blood test in 6 months.

  12. #12
    Senior Member TomD77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone read Dave Barry's description of the laxative used as prep for a colostomy? References are made to space shuttle launches though, personally, I think the references are silly. I doubt that you could achieve a velocity much past 200 meters per second as a result of the laxative, much less escape velocity.

  13. #13
    Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    5,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    That's what I noticed most.

    I don't have to worry about the UCI; my bike isn't a bike.
    Sorry, I forgot.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

  14. #14
    Century bound Phil85207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mesa Arizona
    My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Posts
    2,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get a "T" shot once a month with vitamin B12. I can tell you it has made a hugh difference in my ridding and my general outlook too. I am not sure sure once a month is often enough and will talk to him about it on the next visit. I can feel myself lag at about three weeks. Good luck
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

    Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

    Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

    If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

    In God we trust

  15. #15
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    I get a "T" shot once a month with vitamin B12. I can tell you it has made a hugh difference in my ridding and my general outlook too. I am not sure sure once a month is often enough and will talk to him about it on the next visit. I can feel myself lag at about three weeks. Good luck
    I discussed shots with my doc and he did mention that the dosage is not even when you take T that way. I'm waiting for insurance red tape to be worked out before I can get my 30 day supply of T gel. Apparently the doc actually has to call my insurance carrier to tell them why he prescribed the drug for me... go figure. Cost if I just pay for it without insurance? $395!
    Last edited by billydonn; 01-13-12 at 09:03 PM.

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  16. #16
    Saved by Grace lphilpot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The slow guy in the back
    My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Posts
    603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post
    Has anyone read Dave Barry's description of the laxative used as prep for a colostomy? References are made to space shuttle launches though, personally, I think the references are silly. I doubt that you could achieve a velocity much past 200 meters per second as a result of the laxative, much less escape velocity.
    It's hard to beat Dave's stuff, but this is pretty accurate, I mean funny, too.
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    he opted to get an injection every few weeks instead of using a patch.
    I think the injections are given in the rear end, and I always wondered about that. If a person is bicycling some days an not bicycling others, wouldn't the absorbed dose be about 100 times greater on the bicycling days? The muscles might be flexed thousands of times.

    Or can the injections be given in muscles that aren't used for bicycling, like the triceps?
    mainlytext.com/bike.html Bicycling in winter, the entertainment version

  18. #18
    Senior Member ChargerDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    My Bikes
    Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "ABOUT THE WRITER: Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist for the Miami Herald.

    Colonoscopy Journal:

    I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy.

    A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis."

    http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/1...-my-colon.html
    Last edited by CbadRider; 01-16-12 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Copyright violation.

  19. #19
    VNA
    VNA is offline
    Senior Member VNA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    37.893 N, 122.124 W
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Closed Office View Post
    I think the injections are given in the rear end, and I always wondered about that. If a person is bicycling some days an not bicycling others, wouldn't the absorbed dose be about 100 times greater on the bicycling days? The muscles might be flexed thousands of times.

    Or can the injections be given in muscles that aren't used for bicycling, like the triceps?
    Very slow absorption, and the injection itself is administered slowly because it a very thick liquid!

    Once a correct level is established the patient can self administer the injection on the side of the upper leg!

    The effect is incredibly helpful when suffering from very low testosterone level due to hypopituitarism! (my case)

  20. #20
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did get my one month stash of Testim gel today. Paid about $60 after insurance and copay discount card was applied. Tonight I'm having a strange urge to buy some guns and go hunting.

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  21. #21
    Cabrơnista™ dprayvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    a high fructose corn, olé!
    Posts
    395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not just yet 50+ but I've been getting a fat twice-daily dollar-a-day fix here (thanks to the way cool doc, right proper progressive he is).

    It's a cream. Put it on the legs. It's really the only way to go.
    .


    What is 50 miles of good road? Yes, I call it a very easy distance.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Gravity Aided's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think I'll just stick with the B-12 , Thank You.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot, Raleigh Delta (Project Bike)
    Posts
    6,759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerDawg View Post
    "ABOUT THE WRITER: Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist for the Miami Herald.

    Colonoscopy Journal:

    I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy.

    A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis."

    http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/1...-my-colon.html
    Now this thread has gone completely into the crapper....
    Last edited by CbadRider; 01-16-12 at 07:50 PM. Reason: edited quoted post

  24. #24
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    I did get my one month stash of Testim gel today. Paid about $60 after insurance and copay discount card was applied. Tonight I'm having a strange urge to buy some guns and go hunting.
    Have been using the Testim gel about four days now and I do think I can feel a little difference... especially with my legs recovering more quickly from hard efforts. Could be a placebo effect I suppose. But still...
    P1020760.jpg

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  25. #25
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, S-Works Epic, Bianchi Speciale, Tricross Expert
    Posts
    4,127
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watch the grapes don't become raisins!
    Ionnsaich aig casan latha an-dè, bi bẹ airson latha an-diugh, bi an ḍchas airson latha a-maireach.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •