Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Man up ---- Calling Blues Dawg

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-19-12, 08:22 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts

I am a member of ACA. I love watching the Ride the Divide video about the unsupported unofficial no reward ride from Banff to Antelope Wells, NM.

In 2010 I did the C&O Canal/GAP from D. C. to Pittsburgh.

So now I'm thinking and wondering about this. No Entry Fees - No Prizes - No Support......but you are somewhat close to civilization.

Oh yeah, no grizzlies reported in the area.

https://alleghenymountainsloop.blogsp...loop-2012.html

Last edited by Monoborracho; 01-19-12 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 09:45 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Hmm. Thanks, but I'm not sure why you are calling me out on this. Looks kind of interesting, but not the kind of thing I've ever thought about doing. I don't have a suitable bike for loaded touring, nor the right kind of camping gear. Probably won't be getting either anytime soon.

But have fun. I'll enjoy hearing about your exploits.
Old 01-19-12, 10:15 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I thought you were into mountain biking, you're only an eastern state or two states away, and it's not for a touring bike.

Would I will I? Who knows.
Old 01-20-12, 09:38 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by Monoborracho
I thought you were into mountain biking, you're only an eastern state or two states away, and it's not for a touring bike.

Would I will I? Who knows.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the nature of the event. Not a lot of background info at the site you linked and what I found through Google was mostly accounts of people on loaded touring bikes following the ACA route. The route looks like more of a mix of paved and gravel roads than mountain biking terrain. I've never given much thought about how to carry a lot of gear on my Stumpjumper.

Maybe I'll do some more investigating before ruling it out completely. Wish I could come up with some extra bucks to buy a Salsa Fargo (or maybe a Vaya).

Last edited by BluesDawg; 01-20-12 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-24-12, 08:59 PM
just keep riding

This idea is growing on me. There is not a wealth of information about this route out there, but I'm finding enough to start getting some idea what the ride might be like. Here are the most interesting reports I've found:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p..._id=53771&v=Dg
https://www.adventurecycling.org/stor...nt.cfm#reviews
https://www.adventurecycling.org/foru...45530#msg45530

I'm still not sure what bike I would take on such a trip. I could probably come up with ways to haul enough clothing and camping gear on either the Stumpjumper or the Casseroll. From the ride reports and reading between the lines, I'm thinking the Casseroll with its 34mm tires might me great for most of the route, but I'm not sure it would be up to snuff on a couple of sections. I'm sure the Stumpy could handle it all, but I'm not too excited about spending hours riding paved roads on a full suspension MTB. I think the Vaya would be great for this ride IF I can find a way to afford a new bike by then.

Who knows if this is something I'll want to really make happen? But it is intriguing to think about.
Old 01-25-12, 04:15 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'm still not sure what bike I would take on such a trip. I could probably come up with ways to haul enough clothing and camping gear on either the Stumpjumper or the Casseroll. From the ride reports and reading between the lines, I'm thinking the Casseroll with its 34mm tires might me great for most of the route, but I'm not sure it would be up to snuff on a couple of sections. I'm sure the Stumpy could handle it all, but I'm not too excited about spending hours riding paved roads on a full suspension MTB. I think the Vaya would be great for this ride IF I can find a way to afford a new bike by then.

Who knows if this is something I'll want to really make happen? But it is intriguing to think about.
Just an idea: Install a Surly Long Haul Trucker fork on the Casseroll. You not only get mid-blade mounts for a front rack, you could put a 700x40 on the front.

Running a bigger tire in the front makes the bike more stable and provides a little more tire on toughest sections.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-25-12 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-25-12, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On Crazyguyonabike there is a journal of a person(woman) who did the route towing a Bob trailer.