Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stretching "myths" - Agree or disagree?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 06:34 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...yth_Stretching
Old 01-22-12, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
It seems reasonable to me. The problem is that articles like this tend to be interpreted by the public as "stretching isn't helpful".

Old 01-22-12, 07:15 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agreed with some, not others; I know what degree, type, etc., of stretching works for me. Don't play the 'myth/truth' games.
Old 01-22-12, 09:21 PM
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I (we) hardly ever stretch, just take it easy till all is warmed up! Not sure if it's correct, just our style,
R&J
Old 01-22-12, 10:08 PM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lot of hedging in the various claims, I don't know anything about what 5 minutes of stretching will do before intense exercise - though I do believe that a quick stretch will not ameliorate improper technique in any physical activity.

I also believe - from my own experience - that yoga practiced regularly over the period of a year will bring greater flexibility and balance, even in a 58 year old.

I am taking about 4 yoga classes week now, and it seems to be paying off. Form what I understand, balance, flexibility, and strength should continue to improve for a number of years to come.
Old 01-23-12, 07:01 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I've stretched since HS track (1972) and really believe in doing stretches since my back injury and surgeries. I have to do a couple every morning before I even turn on the coffee maker. Regardless of what this study found I know the stretches the PT taught me in rehab do work, very well, for me and have kept me injury free in those areas they help, ever since. YMMV.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-23-12, 07:32 AM
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some of it seemed right on, some of it just stated the obvious and some of it was vague.

I believe in and practice the notion that static stretching before warming up is not a good idea and that consistency is important.

To me the most difficult thing related to stretching is knowing what to stretch. They point out that aches in one part of the body might be caused by a problem in another. It would be terrific is someone would write an article explaining what to stretch to help which problems.
Old 01-23-12, 08:17 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I always stretch at the beginning of a long charity ride since I don't get a chance to do any warm up rides prior to the start. I have never had any issues during or after the ride when I stretch. I did have issues on one ride when I got there late and just in time to start and wasn't able to do my stretching. I had to wait until I got to the first SAG station to stretch because my thighs were starting to cramp.

On my daily rides at the MUP, there's almost two miles of service road before it gets to the main loop. I normally ride this part of my first lap at a slower pace just to warm up and then finish the rest of my ride at my normal, faster pace. This has worked well for me and until it no longer works, I think I'll continue my normal routine.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-23-12, 08:43 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe stretching is highly overrated. Especially if you stretch "cold".
Old 01-23-12, 09:04 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
I believe stretching is highly overrated. Especially if you stretch "cold".
Years ago, when I was in martial arts, we stretched for 15 minutes prior to our classes and then another 5 minutes at the start of each class. If you got there late and didn't get the chance to do your stretches, you would definitely know it during your workouts, especially when doing high kicks or during sparing. It may be overrated, but it works.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-23-12, 09:11 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main thing emphasized by my trainer is to do active stretches as opposed to static stretches. I stretch basically every day, regardless of what I'm doing in terms of weight lifting or biking/aerobics.
Seems to be working for me. Flexibility is largely a thing of the past, so current routine is designed to maintain current flexibility.
Old 01-23-12, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Years ago, when I was in martial arts, we stretched for 15 minutes prior to our classes and then another 5 minutes at the start of each class. If you got there late and didn't get the chance to do your stretches, you would definitely know it during your workouts, especially when doing high kicks or during sparing. It may be overrated, but it works.
Flexibility is crucial for something like martial arts. Cycling on the other hand has a much smaller range of motion involved with significantly lower risk of injury. I can't see any reason to stretch before riding.
Old 01-23-12, 09:36 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm new to cycling, but not new to physical activity - and have done plenty of high-stress events.

I have never stretched, and I have never been injured.

Meh-
Old 01-23-12, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I'm still doing some limited teaching in the martial arts. When I first started, as a student, we did pretty much the same thing you describe. If your experience was like mine, once class started it was full out intensity with each technique. Today, we use a different approach in getting students warmed-up and ready for class. We build in a 10 to 15 minute period before formal drills start where people are guided through low intensity movements that gradually increase. We've discovered we have fewer injuries with this approach.

I think stretching simply improves flexibility, which is a good thing. I do agree that there are misconceptions about stretching as an adequate warm-up activity. If one is extremely careful and uses static stretching, slowly allowing the muscles to stretch it can have some limited value as a warm-up. That is, there will be some increase of blood flow in the regions being stretched. However, this is very time consuming, only creates the most minimal increase in blood flow, and is likely not done properly by most people. I think a better warm-up activity is to simply begin moving those muscles that will be used slowly and then gradually increase the intensity. In terms of building flexibility, I've always felt you get better results stretching after the body if fully warmed-up.

I use a similar approach in cycling. Any ride always starts with me telling myself to take it easy and just spin in an easy gear for the first 15 to 20 minutes. I don't consider myself even remotely ready to "put the hammer down" or take on serious climbing until I have a good sweat going from spinning and a gradual increase in speed and gear inches. However, when I stretch at the end of hard rides, I find my recovery less difficult. I think it helps get all those toxins out that build up with hard efforts.
Old 01-23-12, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,634 Times in 945 Posts
Is it just me or did some of those slides contradict each other?

Anyway I stretch. I have a back condition and did physical therapy yrs ago. When they cut me loose I discovered that if I didn't stretch the back would get tighter and painful again. Continued stretching keeps it under control. So I stretch once a day weekdays.

But I don't stretch before or after riding or weights or other workouts. Generally just hop on and go. In the mornings I'm slower than the afternoon/evenings.
Old 01-23-12, 11:10 AM
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yoga is God.

I've done it to some degree or another since 1978 for the pain I was having racing- and for the chronic injuries since. I had John Mellancamps fiddler as one of my first instructors at an Ashram. If I could only do one form of exercise, it would be yoga- mind, body, flexibility, BALANCE of muscles and structure, BREATHING- I usually only do about five or six poses now- not elaborate- and it only takes maybe 15 minutes unless I want to go longer- the best!
Saved me from a number of sprains when I turned an ankle or missed a step- just gives you that extra range to turn or flex without injuring.

People these days want to turn it into a line dance, and then they complain they've hurt themselves somehow. The beauty is that even if you overstretch or strain something, it is usually just a day or two before settling it back out. Newer practioners are more prone to overstretch, but the first rule is that if you feel pain, you've overdone it. It's not like training where you intentionally stress to build up the level- you progress without pain in yoga.

me circa 1993
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
077.jpg (88.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by harpon; 01-23-12 at 11:27 AM.