Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Domestic purchase strategy

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-23-12, 08:37 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

My wife caught me putting this frameset https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_10000_202337 into a shopping cart Sunday. She blurted out, in a kind of dismayed tone "you're buying a $1200 bike?" I'm just musing with it, but I came back innocently with "Just the frame set. But it's only $399, less than your bike cost. I'll just need some bars, maybe a groupset and I have enough other parts ... "

She's seen me browsing Ultegra components before, and high end wheels and so on and offered up that it would be $2500 or more before I was done. I was just making scenarios and I'm really considering something like the nashbar touring frame and fork, but it got me thinking. That $2500 is way low on my virtual builds, but I'm really only going to spend about $300-$400. Maybe considering realistic mid-range prices would buy me some brownie points on the real plan ... What would you do?
Old 01-23-12, 09:44 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Man up.
Old 01-23-12, 09:57 AM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse , M300 and Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With my wife it's a matter of equals. When I bought my Stumpjumper years ago my wife asked what was wrong with my hybrid. Told her need for off road and eventually she went with me and she ended up with a Cannondale F700. Bought a 2011 Synapse 6 and just to take the edge off told her it was $1M less than I actually paid. It just makes like easier and she will not go on a road bike. She always ends up on the plus side when you add the cost of her handbags and shoes. LOL

Old 01-23-12, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Man up.
Well it's going to happen regardless, the real question is minimizing collateral costs. Quid pro quo tends to be jewelry, dining out, that sort of thing ...
Old 01-23-12, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
All of this is a bit strange to me. Since we've been married (32 years now) we always operated on a system of each of us having a certain amount of discretionary income for our own use each month (my kids call this our grown-up allowance). Hence, when either of us wants something just for us, it always comes about because we've saved enough of our discretionary income. Now, with that said, part of the reason this system works is because we've both been willing to use our personal discretionary income to purchase surprise gifts for one another, or help with a purchase that was big enough it was going to take some considerable saving.
Old 01-23-12, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,776 Posts
I like just buying a little at a time. Takes patience though.

Old 01-23-12, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by himespau
I like just buying a little at a time. Takes patience though.
that's what I was thinking.
Old 01-23-12, 12:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I foresee a diamond in your future, the only thing it wont be a frame but wife bling!
Old 01-23-12, 12:14 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Sounds like you need to trade in the wife. Mine always say something like, "Don't get the cheap model. Get what you want."
Her reasoning is she knows cycling is good exercise and she wants me to get a good workout and good results. Can't do that with cheap stuff.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-23-12, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by RonH
Sounds like you need to trade in the wife. Mine always say something like, "Don't get the cheap model. Get what you want."
Her reasoning is she knows cycling is good exercise and she wants me to get a good workout and good results. Can't do that with cheap stuff.
I already blew that, I've been riding on the cheap stuff for too long and she'd know better. Too be fair to her she did suggest a new bike last year. Probably not anticipating a $2500 price tag though.
Old 01-24-12, 12:21 PM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
All of this is a bit strange to me. Since we've been married (32 years now) we always operated on a system of each of us having a certain amount of discretionary income for our own use each month (my kids call this our grown-up allowance). Hence, when either of us wants something just for us, it always comes about because we've saved enough of our discretionary income. Now, with that said, part of the reason this system works is because we've both been willing to use our personal discretionary income to purchase surprise gifts for one another, or help with a purchase that was big enough it was going to take some considerable saving.
That theory works great,except for one small problem, what if you do not get an allowance anymore?
Old 01-24-12, 12:31 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter_C
That theory works great,except for one small problem, what if you do not get an allowance anymore?
Then the whole thrust of this thread would be somewhat lacking in meaning.
Old 01-24-12, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
A hundred years ago the thread title would have established his intent to do so.
Old 01-24-12, 12:47 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I'd really like a set of Zipp wheels for my tri bike.

But if I buy them before I buy a new tandem, there won't be any point in a new tandem.
Old 01-24-12, 12:58 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am riding a ten year old Litespeed. My wife who bought a high end TREK carbon fiber bike last year is after me to update my current ride. I think my Litespeed still has a few more years in it so I am resisting. I guess my "problems" are somewhat different than other guys have.
Old 01-24-12, 01:37 PM

So everyone thinks that the reverse-psychology of "considering" some high-end bikes to provoke a suggestion of building an improved lower end one is not feasible? Or just too sneaky. You're probably right. I'll just have to do a straightforward cost/benefit analysis and select the optimal for my circumstances, which in theory should head off potential conflicts and unrealistic expectations. Representing the most logical choice that is, it would be unassailable.
Old 01-24-12, 02:36 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PatW
I am riding a ten year old Litespeed. My wife who bought a high end TREK carbon fiber bike last year is after me to update my current ride. I think my Litespeed still has a few more years in it so I am resisting. I guess my "problems" are somewhat different than other guys have.
Glad to hear you are resisting trading the Litespeed. My Litespeed will be 11 years old in April. Still my favorite ride.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-24-12, 02:53 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
So everyone thinks that the reverse-psychology of "considering" some high-end bikes to provoke a suggestion of building an improved lower end one is not feasible? Or just too sneaky. You're probably right. I'll just have to do a straightforward cost/benefit analysis and select the optimal for my circumstances, which in theory should head off potential conflicts and unrealistic expectations. Representing the most logical choice that is, it would be unassailable.
They say it's healthy to have a fantasy life.
Old 01-24-12, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88
They say it's healthy to have a fantasy life.
Yeh, I don't really buy it either but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-24-12, 03:47 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I'm lucky. All I really need to do is express a "want" in something and my wife is all over me - go ahead and buy it...did you buy it yet...when does it arrive?

She knows that by the time I mention it to her, I've already done the shopping to find a good deal, checked the budget for issues and perhaps covered the cost by selling something that I no longer need or use.

It's sooo nice to have a trusting wife....and I've never broken that trust.
Old 01-24-12, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by k7baixo
I guess I'm lucky. All I really need to do is express a "want" in something and my wife is all over me - go ahead and buy it...did you buy it yet...when does it arrive?

She knows that by the time I mention it to her, I've already done the shopping to find a good deal, checked the budget for issues and perhaps covered the cost by selling something that I no longer need or use.

Nice post. Sounds like you have a good partnership going on.
Old 01-24-12, 06:09 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by k7baixo

Thats just about the same place I'm at. If I mention that I am looking at something, she is usually pushing me to get it. I say
"usually".
Old 01-24-12, 07:35 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I told my wife I was buying a new bike a while back, she said OK(nothing more).

It arrived a short time later and sat in its unmarked box in the front hall all of a week. About 6 months later, she saw it hanging in the garage and asked 'when did you get that bike?'
Old 01-24-12, 10:41 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by miss kenton
Nice post. Sounds like you have a good partnership going on.
My wife is Brazilian...and trust me, they have a different thought process....mostly in her favor. Two examples:

I did Ragbrai this year and the first day was a little more difficult than I would have imagined so I treated myself to a massage. Later, when I touched based, the conversation was like this....

" Baby, I did something nice for myself today. I got a massage."

MrsK7: "Oh...thats so nice. (pause). Was she cute?"

"Oh yeah."

MrsK7: "Oh....that so nice."

I was in Brazil last week on business. In the seat next to me on the return flight was a lovely Brazilian lady. My wife had no way of knowing of course and when I turned my phone on upon landing, I had this message:

"have a nice trip. Make it interesting. Sit next to a very pretty lady."

I showed the message to the Brazilian lady next to me and told her, "OK....I'll have to tell my wife I did as she instructed (BR lady interrupted with a very nice "thank you!") but I slept all the way home!"

We both had a nice laugh as we got off the plane.

I am lucky and trusted...it's a good combo.
Old 01-25-12, 06:05 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I tend to find and repair old bikes, sell them and trade them to obtain the proceeds for what I want . A self-supporting hobby keeps all parties happy . Hear there's a depression on . I'm pretty happy, myself . I prefer not to overdo the expenses , and Mrs. GA appreciates that .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.