rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domestic purchase strategy

My wife caught me putting this frameset http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_10000_202337 into a shopping cart Sunday. She blurted out, in a kind of dismayed tone "you're buying a $1200 bike?" I'm just musing with it, but I came back innocently with "Just the frame set. But it's only $399, less than your bike cost. I'll just need some bars, maybe a groupset and I have enough other parts ... "

She's seen me browsing Ultegra components before, and high end wheels and so on and offered up that it would be $2500 or more before I was done. I was just making scenarios and I'm really considering something like the nashbar touring frame and fork, but it got me thinking. That $2500 is way low on my virtual builds, but I'm really only going to spend about $300-$400. Maybe considering realistic mid-range prices would buy me some brownie points on the real plan ... What would you do?

My Bikes
    2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man up.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Synapse , M300 and Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my wife it's a matter of equals. When I bought my Stumpjumper years ago my wife asked what was wrong with my hybrid. Told her need for off road and eventually she went with me and she ended up with a Cannondale F700. Bought a 2011 Synapse 6 and just to take the edge off told her it was $1M less than I actually paid. It just makes like easier and she will not go on a road bike. She always ends up on the plus side when you add the cost of her handbags and shoes. LOL

My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Man up.
    Well it's going to happen regardless, the real question is minimizing collateral costs. Quid pro quo tends to be jewelry, dining out, that sort of thing ...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of this is a bit strange to me. Since we've been married (32 years now) we always operated on a system of each of us having a certain amount of discretionary income for our own use each month (my kids call this our grown-up allowance). Hence, when either of us wants something just for us, it always comes about because we've saved enough of our discretionary income. Now, with that said, part of the reason this system works is because we've both been willing to use our personal discretionary income to purchase surprise gifts for one another, or help with a purchase that was big enough it was going to take some considerable saving.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like just buying a little at a time. Takes patience though.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"

My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by himespau View Post
    I like just buying a little at a time. Takes patience though.
    that's what I was thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I foresee a diamond in your future, the only thing it wont be a frame but wife bling!

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida.
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you need to trade in the wife. Mine always say something like, "Don't get the cheap model. Get what you want."
    Her reasoning is she knows cycling is good exercise and she wants me to get a good workout and good results. Can't do that with cheap stuff.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon

If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on. -- Lance Armstrong

My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Sounds like you need to trade in the wife. Mine always say something like, "Don't get the cheap model. Get what you want."
    Her reasoning is she knows cycling is good exercise and she wants me to get a good workout and good results. Can't do that with cheap stuff.
    I already blew that, I've been riding on the cheap stuff for too long and she'd know better. Too be fair to her she did suggest a new bike last year. Probably not anticipating a $2500 price tag though.

My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    All of this is a bit strange to me. Since we've been married (32 years now) we always operated on a system of each of us having a certain amount of discretionary income for our own use each month (my kids call this our grown-up allowance). Hence, when either of us wants something just for us, it always comes about because we've saved enough of our discretionary income. Now, with that said, part of the reason this system works is because we've both been willing to use our personal discretionary income to purchase surprise gifts for one another, or help with a purchase that was big enough it was going to take some considerable saving.
    That theory works great,except for one small problem, what if you do not get an allowance anymore?
    Peter_C
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/ <-- My Photos

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
    That theory works great,except for one small problem, what if you do not get an allowance anymore?
    Then the whole thrust of this thread would be somewhat lacking in meaning.
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    A hundred years ago the thread title would have established his intent to do so.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd really like a set of Zipp wheels for my tri bike.

But if I buy them before I buy a new tandem, there won't be any point in a new tandem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am riding a ten year old Litespeed. My wife who bought a high end TREK carbon fiber bike last year is after me to update my current ride. I think my Litespeed still has a few more years in it so I am resisting. I guess my "problems" are somewhat different than other guys have.

My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So everyone thinks that the reverse-psychology of "considering" some high-end bikes to provoke a suggestion of building an improved lower end one is not feasible? Or just too sneaky. You're probably right. I'll just have to do a straightforward cost/benefit analysis and select the optimal for my circumstances, which in theory should head off potential conflicts and unrealistic expectations. Representing the most logical choice that is, it would be unassailable.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida.
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatW View Post
    I am riding a ten year old Litespeed. My wife who bought a high end TREK carbon fiber bike last year is after me to update my current ride. I think my Litespeed still has a few more years in it so I am resisting. I guess my "problems" are somewhat different than other guys have.
    Glad to hear you are resisting trading the Litespeed. My Litespeed will be 11 years old in April. Still my favorite ride.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon

If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on. -- Lance Armstrong

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    So everyone thinks that the reverse-psychology of "considering" some high-end bikes to provoke a suggestion of building an improved lower end one is not feasible? Or just too sneaky. You're probably right. I'll just have to do a straightforward cost/benefit analysis and select the optimal for my circumstances, which in theory should head off potential conflicts and unrealistic expectations. Representing the most logical choice that is, it would be unassailable.
    They say it's healthy to have a fantasy life.

My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    They say it's healthy to have a fantasy life.
    Yeh, I don't really buy it either but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm lucky. All I really need to do is express a "want" in something and my wife is all over me - go ahead and buy it...did you buy it yet...when does it arrive?

She knows that by the time I mention it to her, I've already done the shopping to find a good deal, checked the budget for issues and perhaps covered the cost by selling something that I no longer need or use.

It's sooo nice to have a trusting wife....and I've never broken that trust.
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
    I guess I'm lucky. All I really need to do is express a "want" in something and my wife is all over me - go ahead and buy it...did you buy it yet...when does it arrive?

She knows that by the time I mention it to her, I've already done the shopping to find a good deal, checked the budget for issues and perhaps covered the cost by selling something that I no longer need or use.

Nice post. Sounds like you have a good partnership going on.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post

Thats just about the same place I'm at. If I mention that I am looking at something, she is usually pushing me to get it. I say
    "usually".
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I told my wife I was buying a new bike a while back, she said OK(nothing more).

It arrived a short time later and sat in its unmarked box in the front hall all of a week. About 6 months later, she saw it hanging in the garage and asked 'when did you get that bike?'

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    Nice post. Sounds like you have a good partnership going on.
    My wife is Brazilian...and trust me, they have a different thought process....mostly in her favor. Two examples:

I did Ragbrai this year and the first day was a little more difficult than I would have imagined so I treated myself to a massage. Later, when I touched based, the conversation was like this....

" Baby, I did something nice for myself today. I got a massage."

MrsK7: "Oh...thats so nice. (pause). Was she cute?"

"Oh yeah."

MrsK7: "Oh....that so nice."

I was in Brazil last week on business. In the seat next to me on the return flight was a lovely Brazilian lady. My wife had no way of knowing of course and when I turned my phone on upon landing, I had this message:

"have a nice trip. Make it interesting. Sit next to a very pretty lady."

I showed the message to the Brazilian lady next to me and told her, "OK....I'll have to tell my wife I did as she instructed (BR lady interrupted with a very nice "thank you!") but I slept all the way home!"

We both had a nice laugh as we got off the plane.

I am lucky and trusted...it's a good combo.
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to find and repair old bikes, sell them and trade them to obtain the proceeds for what I want . A self-supporting hobby keeps all parties happy . Hear there's a depression on . I'm pretty happy, myself . I prefer not to overdo the expenses , and Mrs. GA appreciates that .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast