Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to climb better?

Get a mountain bike and USE it! Only 2 weeks back on the mountain bike and I climb a lot better. Road bike feels like a toy now.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have what you guys call hills here in Florida, but we do have areas of central Florida that have, what we call rolling hills. These areas seem to be the select location for most of the century plus charity rides throughout the state. I don't have a mountain bike, but I often use my hybrid to climb bridges and some of these hills to prepare myself for these charity rides, that I do quite often throughout the year. You are correct! Climbing with a heavier bike does make a difference when you switch back to a road bike.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's because your MTB riding has you doing more climbing. You get better at climbing by doing a lot of it. It doesn't matter if it's on a mtb or road bike.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    It's because your MTB riding has you doing more climbing. You get better at climbing by doing a lot of it. It doesn't matter if it's on a mtb or road bike.
    Or the fact that the gearing on a MTB is lower. I can climb like a billy goat on my MTB It might be because my low gear is a 28X34? My MTB is a lot heavier but I climb a lot better. However I also climb a lot slower.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used a similar strategy only with a fully loaded touring rig. After riding it for a week or two, and climbing the 17.5% grade to get back to my home, my unencumbered road bikes felt like they had after-burners built into them.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you guys may be missing the point. Riding a mountain bike offroad is a more intense activity than road riding no matter what bike you ride on the road.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I think you guys may be missing the point. Riding a mountain bike offroad is a more intense activity than road riding no matter what bike you ride on the road.
    I don't doubt the intensity, but I thought the OP was talking about climbing, not necessarily mountain bikes. Perhaps his intent was to talk about mountain bikes. If so, I missed it. I can, however, attest to the fact that climbing with 65+ lbs of gear will improve your overall climbing.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I can, however, attest to the fact that climbing with 65+ lbs of gear will improve your overall climbing.
    Especially when almost half that weight is the bike itself. Add to that the big, gnarly, rumbling mudder tires they have and you got yourself one big workout. Because I am a dedicated roadie I abhor getting on my MTB.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't talking weight. My MTB doesn't weigh much more than my road bike. Just riding up steep, technical hills has improved my legs/cardio that much in just a couple weeks of riding. Went out on the road bike and rode some hills and it seemed like nothing. Definitely use more glutes on the mtb.

2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Wasn't talking weight. My MTB doesn't weigh much more than my road bike. Just riding up steep, technical hills has improved my legs/cardio that much in just a couple weeks of riding. Went out on the road bike and rode some hills and it seemed like nothing. Definitely use more glutes on the mtb.
    Of course. My MTB weighs upwards of 35lbs and my Trek 460 around 22.5 in present trim. I get an improvement just riding the MTB on flat sidewalks for a week. That's all it takes, and how much more the improvement doing what you are. Ride on!
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding up hill is hard wether on Mountain Bike or Road Bike--it is great for the muscles and of course the heart.

This trail (Mitchell Canyon) has 2 miles of 20-25% grade, start at 400 feet and ends 3,000 feet and often will go to the summit at 3800 feet on the road, on average twice a week this past year!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now THAT is a work out!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if you are loafing during your road rides. There's a reason that MTB racers train on the road and it's not because its easier.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm more of a roadie than a mountain biker and I often argue with my mountain biker only friends who claim that road riding is too easy and not much of a workout. The most serious of the mountain bikers are very aware of the workout value of long, fast and hilly road rides. It is a big part of their training for mountain bike racing.

But that does not take anything at all away from the point BBW made about riding mountain bikes on mountain bike trails. More than once I have come back to mountain biking after a long stretch of only road riding and have been shocked and humbled by how quickly I have to stop and struggle to catch my breath and for my heart to stop pounding so loudly I can almost hear it echoing through the hills.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding a mountain bike offroad is a more intense activity than road riding no matter what bike you ride on the road.
    Go out on any bike you want and see how long you can maintain 30 mph on a level road with no wind, and then get back to us.

After riding a roadie for so long, I don't really like getting on my mountain bike. Because of the upright position I can't get as much power to the pedals as I can on a road bike. That, and it makes my butt hurt...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing there's an element of your body becoming accustomed to specific kinds of activity. Hence, when you venture into territory that the body's not currently used to, it gets harder. Perhaps the reason people cross train?

Well at least I hope that's part of the reality. I'd hate to see this turn into..."Yeah, well XYZ is harder than ABC."

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm more of a roadie than a mountain biker and I often argue with my mountain biker only friends who claim that road riding is too easy and not much of a workout. The most serious of the mountain bikers are very aware of the workout value of long, fast and hilly road rides. It is a big part of their training for mountain bike racing.

But that does not take anything at all away from the point BBW made about riding mountain bikes on mountain bike trails. More than once I have come back to mountain biking after a long stretch of only road riding and have been shocked and humbled by how quickly I have to stop and struggle to catch my breath and for my heart to stop pounding so loudly I can almost hear it echoing through the hills.
    I also didn't realize he was talking about riding in the dirt. I thought he was talking about the same hills we do on our road bikes. The style is so different for me it dosn't translate much. But I tend to ride my MTB to the dirt so some of the hills are the same just the MTB is slower. My mistake.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing there's an element of your body becoming accustomed to specific kinds of activity. Hence, when you venture into territory that the body's not currently used to, it gets harder. Perhaps the reason people cross train?

Well at least I hope that's part of the reality. I'd hate to see this turn into..."Yeah, well XYZ is harder than ABC."
    I agree. Riding up long steep hills on a mtb requires a lot of upper body in addition to being pretty much stuck in one position on the bike. After a few mtb rides I get re-aquainted with the position and relax the upper body and just climb and even add some OTS. On a road bike climb I can pull on the bars efficiently and be all over the saddle and OTS breaking up the effort to allow for some recovery.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    Only if you are loafing during your road rides. There's a reason that MTB racers train on the road and it's not because its easier.
    This.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I am quite sure that this does happen. As for one being harder than the other, I think they are both equally hard. By saying mountain biking is more intense, I am speaking of how quickly it will tire me. After 2 to 3 hours of moderately hard mountain bike riding on the kind of trails I usually ride, I am pretty much used up and ready to call it a day. Much the same way I feel after a metric or a century. I probably haven't used as much energy and I'll probably recover faster from the MTB ride, but at the time I am equally used up.