Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Difference between ultra gatorskin & gator hardshells

Recently seen Conti ultra gatorskin tires referenced a couple of times here. What is the difference between those and the Conti gator hardshell tires on which I've ridden the last two years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultra gatorskins are the older version of the Hardshells. The Hardshells have more puncture protection and tread, and seem to ride a lot smoother and are easier to mount.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    Ultra gatorskins are the older version of the Hardshells. The Hardshells have more puncture protection and tread, and seem to ride a lot smoother and are easier to mount.
    What he said.

I just got some Ultra Gatorskin tires for my road bike that were marked down to below the price of their regular Gatorskins. The shop must have had them for a few years as they were beaded and 25 mm. I can attest that they were a bit of a pain to mount. I just hope that I don't get the opportunity to have to repeat it too often, especially out on the road. I don't know how smooth the Hardshells are, but these are much smoother than the Kenda Kriterium 25's I had on before.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress