Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting back to riding

My wife and I are in Florida for the next two months and there's a small riding group that goes out on paved trails twice a week.

We just bought a Cannondale 400 and a Trek 7.3 which we are picking up tomorrow.

My question is the group goes out about 10-12 miles is that ok for a first ride or should we cut it short?

We're both fit and in good shape

Tks

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have ridden any that is not a lot of mileage. Should be mainly flat here in Florida. The new bicycles need to be properly fitted to both of you, though. Tell the people you ride with your situation and that you may cut things short. Make sure you know the way back, too (no kidding intended here.) Have fun. Where are y'all in Florida?

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fitness is often exercise specific. How long has it been since you've ridden? I'm guessing by the nature of your question, it's been some time. It might be a good idea to take a shorter ride just to check out the fitness levels before going on a group ride. As Bill mentioned above, bike fit is important. You may find the mileage well within your abilities, but with a poor fit the hands, arms, neck, shoulders, and/or backside may get mighty uncomfortable in a hurry.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned, fit is very important for even short 10-12 mile rides. Make sure the bikes are adjusted to fit both of you. You didn't mention what area of Florida you are coming to, but here in the Tampa Bay area, we have been having some exceptionally nice weather with temps into the 80's. Make sure that you bring plenty of water with you and keep hydrated throughout the ride. Make sure that you let the group know up front that you may not be able to make the entire route. In many cases, if it's a casual ride, they will make several stops in order for you to rest enough to finish. Our club does that for new riders on our Saturday casual rides. Other than that, I think that you will be fine if you are fairly fit, but you may have some sore legs after the ride.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't been riding but used to do 2-3 miles once in a while over the past few years on our old Walmart bikes but not regular or distance.

Since meeting a group here we got interested in upgrading to good bikes.

The bikes were given a quick fit to test ride them yesterday, and will be fit in detail when we pick them up tomorrow.

We are in Dade City and they go to the Withlacoochee trail often perhaps some others.

We will cut it short if we wish.

My Bikes
    Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always do a couple of shorter rides for preparation.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your bike is set up to fit you my bet is that you will be able to do a 10, 12 mile ride but your behind will hurt the next day. It takes awhile to adapt to the saddle.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo2006 View Post
    We will cut it short if we wish.
    That's the ticket.

Don't lock yourself into too long or too short. Just play it by ear. You'll be doing longer rides than you can now imagine before very long.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I swim, several times I have had very "fit" and younger folks amazed that they can not swim the length of the pool. As mentioned, fitness is very activity specific, in that you use different muscles - they need to develop veins and capillaries and strengthening in these muscles.

That said, most folks can ride 10 miles OK, but be prepared if you can't, and be prepared for some soreness afterwards.

Good luck and have fun.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks