User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magazines

Which BIKE magazines seems to have the better coverage...Just general coverage maintance...
    Last edited by fmc1941; 01-24-12 at 11:36 AM.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coverage of what?

I find that the AARP Bulletin has the best coverage for cycling repair.

My coffee table is my workstand and the Bulletin covers it perfectly. Just when I run out of pages, a new one comes in the mail.

I did pull out the pullout section on walking in the current issue, because it's a little on the small side and just in case I decide to do any cross-training.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you trying to cover?
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General bike coverage

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it comes...
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are multitude of magazines out there, with fans and detractors of them all. The variety of cycling areas and how they are covered are as different as one might imagine. If you are new to the sport, "Bicycling" by Rodale press is one that many folks have started with. However, there are many people here who quickly out grew their need for the kind of information provided (two of the biggest criticisms are: 1) too many ads and stories about high end equipment that many can't afford, 2) same old stories month after month). There are also cycling magazine that provide race results and keep tabs on the professional cycling world. ProCycling is one. Velo is another. Two additional options that I personally find more fulfilling are CyclingPlus (a British magazine with a fairly wide range of topics, tips and reviews) and Bicycle Times (a refreshing non-race oriented/alternative cycling lifestyle magazine). It may be worth looking at some of the online offerings for all of these before plunking down your cash.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmc1941 View Post
    General bike coverage
    "Bicycle Times" is a general coverage bike mag.

http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/

http://www.facebook.com/bicycletimes
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There used to be one that was for "East Coast Bicycle Culture", but at this moment, I cannot remember what it was called. They had offices right in Arlington, MA. It was a nice Mag, with lots of local stuff.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite is "Road Bike Action".

I like them because, when they review products, they like some and they don't like others just like real people. Most magazines like everything, especially products with a big ad in the same issue.
    Last edited by Retro Grouch; 01-25-12 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peloton and Paved in the U.S.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Velo News and Road Bike Action by subscription for me. I buy Cycle Sport America and several other foreign pubs, mainly form England. I get my tech fix from RBA and results and training tips for VN and the others. I like the English/UK pubs a lot for the different style of writing.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    Peloton and Paved in the U.S.
    Ditto. Plus Road Bike Action occasionally, and Bicycle Times when I feel a need to shift the balance away from performance road riding.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate Bicycling and yet I still subscribe. What's wrong with me? It's amazing how little text they actually "squeeze" on each page. Their graphic designers put pictures, giant first letters, giant quotes from the short articles, and all sorts of junk on each page - to avoid having to actually write something? Most (virtually all?) of their training articles don't apply to me because I'm not a racer, don't want advice on what to eat, etc. Their "reviews" of bikes are like thumbnails of pictures, and their one-liners at the end are ludicrous. I actually get more out of the ads than the articles.

I much prefer Road Bike Action. They have actual articles and several reviews each month that are actual, fairly-in-depth reviews. The bikes they focus on are mostly far out of my price range, but they do have plenty of reviews of lower-priced rides.

I've recently subscribed to Bicycle Times. It's interesting, but it's not really aimed at someone like me. I'm a recreational rider who participates in a couple of centuries a year, and goes on tour each summer. It seems to be mostly oriented towards urban commuters. A recent topic was finding bicycling clothes that don't involve Spandex or jerseys. I wear Spandex shorts because I like them (certainly not because I think I look good in them) and jerseys because I like how they fit and like the pockets in the back. I have no desire to find some other apparael because I'm concerned about looking like one of those bike racers. If I want to avoid cycling togs I can go back to riding in jeans and a t-shirt like I did in college. Still, there's plenty of things of interest in the magazine. Will I renew my subscription when it expires? The jury is still out.

I really like Adventure Cyclist since I'm a tourer. I usually read it cover to cover in a few days. My biggest criticism is that it's too short.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueToe View Post
    I've recently subscribed to Bicycle Times.
    +1 I recently subscribed also.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I subscribe to a few; Bicycling, Velo News, Road, Bicycling Times, Road Bike Action, Adventure Cycling... They're all a little different with different foci. The one least applicable to my riding and one I may not renew is Bicycling Times. Its main focus is eco/bike advocacy and associated commuting and utility cycling. It's all good, just not my thang. Of the others, I'd rate them Road Bike Action, Velo News, Bicycling, Adventure Cycling. Road is expensive @ $53/yr and it's main attraction is its photography and large pix.

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Endura, 1973 Mercier 200, many Peugeots, MTB Trek Hardtails 800 series.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up Peloton the other day, tres cool, mix of old vintage photos and newer stuff.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road: Peloton (U.S.) and CycleSport (U.K./U.S.); some issues of Cycling+ (U.K.) and of Paved (U.S.).
    Mtb: Bike (U.S.), Singletrack (U.K.). Probably Switchback (mtb version of Peloton) if I can ever find a copy.
    Blog: BSNYC
    Of these, Peloton and BSNYC are far and away my favourites.

The rest, far as I'm concerned, are bumfodder. Don't care for the faux-'60s/hipster 'vibe' of either Dirt Rag or Bicycle Times, for example, and Bicycling is simply unspeakably bad (and the 'one-article-every-fourth-issue' that might be worth reading can be read while sipping an espresso in Chapters [//Borders]).
    Unfortunately, Cycling+ had moved a little in the 'Bicycling' direction the past few years (used to subscribe), but seems slowly to be moving back to being a good, interesting, all-around 'road' magazine.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't renewed my LAB membership so my Bicycling subscription finally ran out.
    I just renewed my subscription to RBA.
    I buy other mags at the bookstore if they have something I want to read.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorites are: Paved, Mostly because of the focus on inspiring cycling photography, and Bicycle Times.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it were not $8+ bucks an issue Vintage Bicycle Quarterly , Jan Heine's, out of Seattle
    has its own clique, of readers. he is into classic French Brevet machines.

Tries to compare stuff in a controlled test, so less about writers shilling
    for the stuff sent in for free.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the Interwebs.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    I prefer the Interwebs.
    Yep..

On maintenance, If Sheldon Brown hasn't covered it, it isn't worth covering. That said, there are a lot of sites like Park Tools etc that have maintenance info.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What better way to enjoy a Starbuck's coffee while your significant other goes shopping at the mall, than just sampling the magazine rack at Barnes & Noble. By the time I get there, there's no place to sit.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer just browsing what's on the web. I used to do subscriptions, but the old issues tend to pile up, and I don't have time to read them anyway. It would be nice to find some online publication with writing as clean and engaging as the New Yorker or Esquire. Sort of a literary/style magazine that focuses on bicycles. Momentum (out of Vancouver) is into style, but it's hard to get the good writers unless they're well-paid.

It always helps too if the mag has a photo spread of naked females draped over state-of-the-art bikes!

L.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    On maintenance, If Sheldon Brown hasn't covered it, it isn't worth covering.
    Unfortunately I have to disagree.

Even while he was still alive, Sheldon admitted he had so many pages of website that he couldn't keep them all accurately updated. Since he has died, the world keeps marching on and his wonderful website, unfortunately, doesn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast