Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your expected time for a 100 mile ride in 2012

The century rides will start soon for the 2012 season. Do you have goals for your time in a particular century event? The time I am asking about is from the time you start until you finish, not ride time only.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    My War
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Never done a group ride century. Best solo time is 7:15.

I bet I can beat that this year.

Did a group flat Metric long ago and got in under 2:30. Dunno if I could pull that off today.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon (Vintage); Merckx MX Leader (Campy 10); Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB), Alex Singer (allrounder)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am riding the Cascade 100 this year - an MTB race, 80 miles of which is on single track. Being primarily a recreational roadie, I have no idea how long this will take but it certainly will be an adventurous challenge.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never really think about time on a century ride, think more about how I'm feeling and how I'm doing with those around me.
    I'm happy to finish century type rides in 7-9 hours, depending on hills, wind, etc.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by northbend View Post
    I am riding the Cascade 100 this year - an MTB race, 80 miles of which is on single track. Being primarily a recreational roadie, I have no idea how long this will take but it certainly will be an adventurous challenge.
    Sounds hard. How much climbing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I finish

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon (Vintage); Merckx MX Leader (Campy 10); Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB), Alex Singer (allrounder)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11500 according to the organizers

My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This summer.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start Sunday at about 8:15AM, finish about 7:55PM Friday, any week from Easter to Halloween.

At one time, in one uninterrupted ride, I won't do more than 40-50 anymore. Don't feel the need to 'experience' the century.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last one I did, a few weeks ago (season is early in AZ), ride time was 5:15 for 102 miles, but there was a lot of stopping due to the group I was with liking to do that. I'd like to really rip one off some time in a fast group that doesn't stop, and get the elapsed time under 5 hours. 4:30 would be my target for 100. I may try for a fast one in November at the next Tour de Tucson, which is 109 miles: my target would be 5 hours or less, which is a 21.8 mph average.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 of them this month. 8 to 9 hours.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first century (Tour de Tucson): Has planned only to do 50 miles and sag in. My friends, doing the century, left me and rode on. I could not figure out how to get back to the start since I never saw a sag so I kept riding. Before this ride the most distance I had done was a metric. I finished 10 minutes behind my friends at total time 8 hr. 22 minutes. I spent 20 minutes crying at 100 miles (my feet really hurt!) when I found out I had another 8 to go...After the cry, I got back on the bike and finished strong.

Several years later I helped 3 friends do their first century - I agreed to stay with them. Total time was 11 hrs+... I have to say that was an excruciating long day on a bike and off. I won't ever ride like that again! My friends would socialize at all the rest stops. I think taking like 40 - 45 minutes each time. When I do century its pretty much in and out 5 minutes tops. Generally my total riding time is between 7 - 8 hrs. but like DX-man not really into riding organized centuries anymore.
    Last edited by Pamestique; 01-25-12 at 10:11 AM.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    Last one I did, a few weeks ago (season is early in AZ), ride time was 5:15 for 102 miles, but there was a lot of stopping due to the group I was with liking to do that. I'd like to really rip one off some time in a fast group that doesn't stop, and get the elapsed time under 5 hours. 4:30 would be my target for 100. I may try for a fast one in November at the next Tour de Tucson, which is 109 miles: my target would be 5 hours or less, which is a 21.8 mph average.
    I want the same thing, so I have joined the 5 hour pace group for the Hotten Hell Hundred in Wichita Falls, TX in August. I rode this century in 5 hours 1 minute last August. However, I am getting older each year, so I will join this group that has some guys to pace the peleton.

I did ride one metric century (63miles) in which I did not put a foot down. A good way to ride it.

Most of my centuries are around 6 hours, or a little less.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last did it in 2006. When I failed--but 14 hours was my usual time and 12 hours was the best, South Downs way in one day.

Metric and I can do in around 4 hours on the road but 100 miles and I will be around 8 hours. That extra 35 miles slows me down.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On organized centuries, a lot depends on how much time you spend dawdling at aid/lunch stops. Some have stops every 10-15 miles and if you hit each one you can easily add an hour or more to your time. I tend to go 30 miles between stops and only stop long enough to pee, refill bottles, and stuff some food items into my face and jersey pockets. Stops longer than 5 or 10 minutes seem to make it harder for me to get going again.

IMO, it's not the distance but how long you spend in the saddle. The faster you go, the less time you spend on the bike, and the easier it gets.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by northbend View Post
    11500 according to the organizers
    Wow. Sounds like something I would enjoy, or maybe about half of it.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    I did ride one metric century (63miles) in which I did not put a foot down. A good way to ride it.
    I've taken to approaching my training rides this way, and have a route where I can not break cadence for as many as 3 hours. My base rides are typically 60-80 miles, and other than for traffic lights (which I time when I can), I only stop to use the bathroom or refill my water bottles. For those training rides, I eat either nothing, or some peanut butter. For fast group rides, I use Hammer Gel, or 50% honey/50% water. I've been training my body to burn fat to the highest extent possible, and that includes a diet that is higher in fatty proteins (like nuts).
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    My first century (Tour de Tucson): Has planned only to do 50 miles and sag in. My friends, doing the century, left me and rode on. I could not figure out how to get back to the start since I never saw a sag so I kept riding. Before this ride the most distance I had done was a metric. I finished 10 minutes behind my friends at total time 8 hr. 22 minutes. I spent 20 minutes crying at 100 miles (my feet really hurt!) when I found out I had another 8 to go...After the cry, I got back on the bike and finished strong.
    When did you ride Tour de Tucson, Pam? I have never seen a sag on that ride (but there is a number they give you to call if there is a problem). My results for that have been anywhere from about 6:45 overall to 7:35. I always ride it solo.
    Last edited by az_cyclist; 01-25-12 at 11:06 AM.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only do one or two a year that I worry about timing. For those, anywhere from 4:20 to 4:40 would be good. Although I may zoot the bike out and see how close I can get to 4:00. No drafting, of course - drafting would be 'cheating' in that I'd be relying on someone else to help me reach that time. See, even lowracer riders have ethics!

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Expected century time really doesn't mean much really, too many different variables. For instance, I'm a 6 hour solo organized century rider but know a gang of sub 5 hour century pack riders that post an hour more than I do on timed centuries with with 10,000 ft.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did a 300k last weekend (actually a 309k, 192 miles or so) and took 19 hours and 55 minutes to do it. And it was a good ride and I'm glad I worked it the way I did, and wouldn't do anything different. It's not always about speed.

I'll report back if I hit any speed records on the new bike, though.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm good for a 6 hour, 100-mile Century on a flat, Illinois route in mild weather. I normally catch a few groups during an event, which will pull my on-the-bike speed above 20 mph for 30 to 60 minutes. If I'm solo, I can hold 18 mph on most days. I try to finish 100 miles with two stops for water, a snack and other needs.

If its 80f or warmer, I'll add stops and my time will go up to about 7 hours. I’ve completed events on days that hit 97f, but my pace goes down as the temperatures go up.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-25-12 at 01:05 PM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fastest time so far this year is 3 days. Hoping to bring that down to 2. Maybe someday I'll do it in less than a day.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    When did you ride Tour de Tucson, Pam? I have never seen a sag on that ride (but there is a number they give you to call if there is a problem). My results for that have been anywhere from about 6:45 overall to 7:35. I always ride it solo.
    I wish I could remember - it was maybe 10 years ago? I hadn't planned on doing the century and just casually signed up and decided to do the first part with my friends but then they dumped me after the first "water crossing". I hadn't researched the ride and knew nothing about it... 2 dry river crossings!!?!?!? After the first one I could not engage the cleat (I wore Speedplays at time) for the rest of the ride. I had to push the pedal. By mile 65 my feet were on fire, I really wanted to quit but had no idea where I was and I didn't have a cell phone or a number to call. I would just stop, take my shoe off, put it back on and ride...

It was a cool ride though and I am glad it was my first century. Riding by myself I met alot of nice people along the way. I would ride with them for awhile and then one of us would move on. The finish was well worth the pain. The look on my friends' faces when when I showed up at the hotel 10 minutes behind them was PRICELESS! I probably outrode them if I didn't break down for my cry...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm usually between 7 and 8 hours. A little longer when I'm accompanying a virgin or doing an especially hilly ride. Maybe around 6:45 on the right day.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast