Thread: What if?

My Bikes
    Too many to count
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if?

You were retired, high six figure income, good health, had people to take care
    of your affairs, wife that traveled, her job,

How much would you ride?

I have done just over 20,000 miles in just under two years and have not been
    more than fifty miles from home at any time.

From April to Oct I did 9200, best month was July, 1600, best day was 126.
    Many days just over 100. Average was just over 16mph. Best single ride was
    just over twenty miles in 55 minutes. Lot of wind behind me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not one of the problems that god gave me, so I'll leave you to figure it out. Meanwhile, it's back to work for me.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is I were 5'7" tall; 135lbs., 3% body fat and a Vo2 max of 85? I'd quit my job and ride five hours every day.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retired, sufficient resources, adequate health, with a spouse that travels around on his own adventures six months of the year leaves me to bird, bike, volunteer and visit with family and friends. I did 1500 miles riding last year but it was my first year and my average mph for the year sure wasn't close to yours. This year I figure I will ride about 3000 miles.

I am almost always more than 50 miles from home. Last year I rode in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, and Texas. This year probably will be similar but I am thinking of moving my winter base further east.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 01-27-12 at 06:26 PM.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I owe
    I owe
    It's off to work I go.....

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all have little problems to solve.

I'll trade.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is different and it depends on where and why you are traveling. When we go it's usually to visit the one or two of the kids and grand-greatgrand kids. While in the RV not so much, but when at our destination lots more. It's your time, do with it what you like.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my riding is commuting, so I probably would go from about 6,000 miles per year to nearly nothing. It's one of the reasons I worry about what life will be like when I am finally forced to retire.

Paul

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly-retired, great health, adequate income for my needs/wants, wife likes to ride the tandem. I still ride the same amount as always (10-20,000 miles/year). I ride because I enjoy it, that is the one constant in my life. In fact, it is an important part of who I am. That said, if I could never ride again I'm sure I would find something else that I would enjoy just as much.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know that my cycling habits would change but (assuming I could get someone to watch our dogs) I'd be ut on the Ducati more and farther. Probably meeting her on her trips if it's in-country,.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BHOFM View Post
    You were retired, high six figure income, good health, had people to take care
    of your affairs, wife that traveled, her job,

How much would you ride?
    I'd definitely ride more.
    If my wife travelled I'd have to eat out a lot (I'm not a cook) and then I'd gain weight (so I'd have to ride even more) or I'd eat a lot of salads and sandwiches.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast. R.I.P.
    2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time.

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not my cross to bear.

When I retire this year, I'll go to work part time to supplement my retirement and my wife's income, putting us in no danger of approaching six figures. I'll commute to my new job at the bike shop since the roads I'll ride are much safer at off peak hours.
    Hoping to see a big increase from my usual 4K or so annual mileage. Hoping to work in some events across the country and to add gravel grinders and adventure touring to the ride mix.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was retired, high six figure income, good health, a wife that traveled...I'd take care of my own affairs!
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were in your situation, I'd probably be...very happy!! Also, I'd be ridin' about 5000 miles a year, instead of 2000.
    I ride because... I really enjoy it !

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I match two of the five attributes of the OP and only rode a little over 5,000 miles last year while still working. Now retired, I hope to ride more miles than last year, especially now that I got an N+1 (should be riding it on Tuesday).
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John_V , OK we're gonna need to see pics of the new Colnago. It's made from steel, right?
    I ride because... I really enjoy it !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered doing any tours?
    If you search around I'm sure you could find some supported tours that you might find interesting. They can range from anywhere from camping at night to staying in 5 star hotels, and from week long trips to two month coast to coast adventures.
    And then there are the European tours...

My Bikes
    Too many to count
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ping jockey View Post
    Have you considered doing any tours?
    If you search around I'm sure you could find some supported tours that you might find interesting. They can range from anywhere from camping at night to staying in 5 star hotels, and from week long trips to two month coast to coast adventures.
    And then there are the European tours...
    I assume you are asking me? For the time being we have moved in with my Mom. Dad passed away
    in Aug. Until we decide what we are going to do I am not getting to far from the house. We have
    care givers several days a week but I still need to be available. I have enough to deal with at this
    time, my financial affairs are handled by the trust at this time. The wife is a pilot for a large
    corporation and gets to play with their high $$ toys. I think she would do it even if she wasn't
    paid.

Funny story, she went to Dallas to pick up a client and he didn't want to get on the plane, he
    didn't believe she was the pilot. She is 6'3", under 140lbs and a retired model.

This is her high school graduation picture I did a little work on.

Last edited by BHOFM; 01-28-12 at 10:20 AM.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BHOFM View Post
    I assume you are asking me? For the time being we have moved in with my Mom. Dad passed away
    in Aug. Until we decide what we are going to do I am not getting to far from the house. We have
    care givers several days a week but I still need to be available. I have enough to deal with at this
    time, my financial affairs are handled by the trust at this time. The wife is a pilot for a large
    corporation and gets to play with their high $$ toys. I think she would do it even if she wasn't
    paid.

Funny story, she went to Dallas to pick up a client and he didn't want to get on the plane, he
    didn't believe she was the pilot. She is 6'3", under 140lbs and a retired model.
    Time for a photo of the pilot..
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that were my situation I'd go online and rub those less fortunate noses in it.
    I owe-therefore I am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang! I gotta move to Arkansas! 64, hope to retire about 67 and will definitely spend more time touring and take longer trips.

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, as a retired person with a good income, good health, no affairs that need taking care of, and a wife who doesn't mind my following my inclinations and impulses, I primarily ride locally, though every summer I get off to some place for some riding, sometimes with my wife, sometimes without. Last summer we went to the San Juan Islands. So in truth, I can ride as much as I want and pretty much where I want. The biggest deterent to riding is the competing outdoor interests I have. I also like to hike, backpack, kayak (touring), and just walk. The second biggest deterent is not having anyone to take trips with other than my wife. Most of my friends are still working or consider themselves too old for any kind of adventure. Very depressing. If I had a close friend who loved cycling, I would probably take several long toruing trips each summer. I've been looking to get down the Oregon coast for several years now but can't convince my wife--she hate cycling on roads that have a lot of traffic--or find anyone else. I'll probably have to do it by myself one of these years.
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100