Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What if?

Old 01-27-12, 03:36 PM

Bikes: Too many to count

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What if?

You were retired, high six figure income, good health, had people to take care
of your affairs, wife that traveled, her job,

How much would you ride?

I have done just over 20,000 miles in just under two years and have not been
more than fifty miles from home at any time.

From April to Oct I did 9200, best month was July, 1600, best day was 126.
Many days just over 100. Average was just over 16mph. Best single ride was
just over twenty miles in 55 minutes. Lot of wind behind me.
Old 01-27-12, 04:34 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That's not one of the problems that god gave me, so I'll leave you to figure it out. Meanwhile, it's back to work for me.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-27-12, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
What is I were 5'7" tall; 135lbs., 3% body fat and a Vo2 max of 85? I'd quit my job and ride five hours every day.
Old 01-27-12, 04:55 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Retired, sufficient resources, adequate health, with a spouse that travels around on his own adventures six months of the year leaves me to bird, bike, volunteer and visit with family and friends. I did 1500 miles riding last year but it was my first year and my average mph for the year sure wasn't close to yours. This year I figure I will ride about 3000 miles.

I am almost always more than 50 miles from home. Last year I rode in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, and Texas. This year probably will be similar but I am thinking of moving my winter base further east.

Last edited by goldfinch; 01-27-12 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-27-12, 05:42 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 45 Posts
I owe
I owe
It's off to work I go.....

Old 01-27-12, 06:50 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
We all have little problems to solve.

I'll trade.
Old 01-27-12, 06:57 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Everyone is different and it depends on where and why you are traveling. When we go it's usually to visit the one or two of the kids and grand-greatgrand kids. While in the RV not so much, but when at our destination lots more. It's your time, do with it what you like.
Old 01-27-12, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
All of my riding is commuting, so I probably would go from about 6,000 miles per year to nearly nothing. It's one of the reasons I worry about what life will be like when I am finally forced to retire.

Paul
Old 01-27-12, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mostly-retired, great health, adequate income for my needs/wants, wife likes to ride the tandem. I still ride the same amount as always (10-20,000 miles/year). I ride because I enjoy it, that is the one constant in my life. In fact, it is an important part of who I am. That said, if I could never ride again I'm sure I would find something else that I would enjoy just as much.
Old 01-28-12, 06:34 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Don't know that my cycling habits would change but (assuming I could get someone to watch our dogs) I'd be ut on the Ducati more and farther. Probably meeting her on her trips if it's in-country,.
Old 01-28-12, 08:12 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BHOFM
You were retired, high six figure income, good health, had people to take care
of your affairs, wife that traveled, her job,

How much would you ride?
I'd definitely ride more.
If my wife travelled I'd have to eat out a lot (I'm not a cook) and then I'd gain weight (so I'd have to ride even more) or I'd eat a lot of salads and sandwiches.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-28-12, 08:36 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Not my cross to bear.

When I retire this year, I'll go to work part time to supplement my retirement and my wife's income, putting us in no danger of approaching six figures. I'll commute to my new job at the bike shop since the roads I'll ride are much safer at off peak hours.
Hoping to see a big increase from my usual 4K or so annual mileage. Hoping to work in some events across the country and to add gravel grinders and adventure touring to the ride mix.
Old 01-28-12, 08:40 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 1,027 Posts
If I was retired, high six figure income, good health, a wife that traveled...I'd take care of my own affairs!
Old 01-28-12, 09:13 AM
carpe diem

Bikes: CAAD 9 , Schwinn World, Prologue, Madison , Sports Tourer ; Ironman , Opus lll , Allez , Peugeot 753, Trek 531 (2) , Assenmacher ( custom)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were in your situation, I'd probably be...very happy!! Also, I'd be ridin' about 5000 miles a year, instead of 2000.
Old 01-28-12, 10:21 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Well, I match two of the five attributes of the OP and only rode a little over 5,000 miles last year while still working. Now retired, I hope to ride more miles than last year, especially now that I got an N+1 (should be riding it on Tuesday).

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-28-12, 10:43 AM
carpe diem

Bikes: CAAD 9 , Schwinn World, Prologue, Madison , Sports Tourer ; Ironman , Opus lll , Allez , Peugeot 753, Trek 531 (2) , Assenmacher ( custom)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John_V , OK we're gonna need to see pics of the new Colnago. It's made from steel, right?
Old 01-28-12, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you considered doing any tours?
If you search around I'm sure you could find some supported tours that you might find interesting. They can range from anywhere from camping at night to staying in 5 star hotels, and from week long trips to two month coast to coast adventures.
And then there are the European tours...
Old 01-28-12, 11:17 AM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ping jockey
Have you considered doing any tours?
If you search around I'm sure you could find some supported tours that you might find interesting. They can range from anywhere from camping at night to staying in 5 star hotels, and from week long trips to two month coast to coast adventures.
And then there are the European tours...
I assume you are asking me? For the time being we have moved in with my Mom. Dad passed away
in Aug. Until we decide what we are going to do I am not getting to far from the house. We have
care givers several days a week but I still need to be available. I have enough to deal with at this
time, my financial affairs are handled by the trust at this time. The wife is a pilot for a large
corporation and gets to play with their high $$ toys. I think she would do it even if she wasn't
paid.

Funny story, she went to Dallas to pick up a client and he didn't want to get on the plane, he
didn't believe she was the pilot. She is 6'3", under 140lbs and a retired model.

This is her high school graduation picture I did a little work on.

Last edited by BHOFM; 01-28-12 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-28-12, 11:20 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts
Originally Posted by BHOFM
I assume you are asking me? For the time being we have moved in with my Mom. Dad passed away
in Aug. Until we decide what we are going to do I am not getting to far from the house. We have
care givers several days a week but I still need to be available. I have enough to deal with at this
time, my financial affairs are handled by the trust at this time. The wife is a pilot for a large
corporation and gets to play with their high $$ toys. I think she would do it even if she wasn't
paid.

Funny story, she went to Dallas to pick up a client and he didn't want to get on the plane, he
didn't believe she was the pilot. She is 6'3", under 140lbs and a retired model.
Time for a photo of the pilot..

Old 01-28-12, 11:37 AM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If that were my situation I'd go online and rub those less fortunate noses in it.
Old 01-28-12, 11:39 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Dang! I gotta move to Arkansas! 64, hope to retire about 67 and will definitely spend more time touring and take longer trips.
Old 01-28-12, 02:12 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Actually, as a retired person with a good income, good health, no affairs that need taking care of, and a wife who doesn't mind my following my inclinations and impulses, I primarily ride locally, though every summer I get off to some place for some riding, sometimes with my wife, sometimes without. Last summer we went to the San Juan Islands. So in truth, I can ride as much as I want and pretty much where I want. The biggest deterent to riding is the competing outdoor interests I have. I also like to hike, backpack, kayak (touring), and just walk. The second biggest deterent is not having anyone to take trips with other than my wife. Most of my friends are still working or consider themselves too old for any kind of adventure. Very depressing. If I had a close friend who loved cycling, I would probably take several long toruing trips each summer. I've been looking to get down the Oregon coast for several years now but can't convince my wife--she hate cycling on roads that have a lot of traffic--or find anyone else. I'll probably have to do it by myself one of these years.