Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaning chains and gears

I think I have cleaning my chains down since I use SRAM chains (easily removable) and take the chains off to soak in degreaser. The last time, I spent quite a while on the rear cassette and other rear bits with a spray degreaser and a stiff nylon brush but even after 20 minutes+, I wasn't even close to happy with the result. I bought a $12 can of "Finish Line" bike degreaser and cleaner and, while it did get ALL the gunk off the chain and cassettes, a large portion of the gunk was deposited elsewhere on the bike.

That + no way in hell am I going to start buying a large number of $12 + tax spray cans that blow crap all over my bike means I am still looking for an ideal way to clean my rear cassette, chain ring and other gears.

Suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To do the job right you really need to remove the cassette from the wheel itself and then clean it properly.

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I want to clean a cassette or Freewheel, I simply remove it.
    MUCH easier to get to.
    On a cassette, I'll just drop it in a container of "solvent" and let it soak for a bit first.
    Freewheel has the bearings inside, so that's not a viable option.

My Bikes
    2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the others have mentioned, remove the cassette from the hub, (cogs and spacer combinations, vary) and place the parts in a small container of mineral spirits.

Use some latex / rubber gloves, swish them around and in a moment or two the parts will be shiny and clean. Maybe be a mild brushing ( I use a small bottle brush) but nothing more needed.

Then just lay them flat on a few paper towels or hang to air dry.

If you don't like mineral spirits a decent household dish soap will accomplish the same thing, although you will have to scrub harder and it will take you longer.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clean the cassette while on the wheel--Get some sisal string--the old style natural rough coarse stuff- and use it between the rings. I have a chain cleaning tool and use that for the chain and if I am cheapskate it is sneak to the kitchen and use clothes washing liquid-- the less foamy stuff for automatic washers- and dilute with water 50/50. Then wash out with the hose and then to get rid of the water it is WD or similar.

Then it is down to clean the bike with soapy water and elbow grease.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue with leaving the cassette on the freehub is that the solvent seeps past the seal on that side and gets into the bearings. It's not something you want to happen. It's always best to remove the cogset to clean it.

There are various half-moon brushes on the market designed to get down between the cogs. Of course, if you have cogset such as Deore, you can remove it from the freehub, undo the small bolts through it and take all the cogs and spacers apart to wash them. You don't even have to screw them back together as a unit before putting them back on the freehub.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    ALAN alloy, Argos Reynolds 753, Tony Oliver Custom Reynolds/Columbus tourer, Raleigh Richmond (Reynolds 531), Raleigh Hustler all-steel roadster Raleigh Road Ace (531c)Raleigh Vitesse Carlton Corsair (531)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old fashioned pro-race bike mechanics use diesel as a cleaner for these parts as it contains a percentage of oil. Cheaper to buy by the gallon!
    1985 753 Argos
    1984 ALAN Super Record
    1994 Tony Oliver Custom tourer 708/Columbus SP
    1980 531 Raleigh Road Ace - Special Products Division.
    1991 531 Raleigh Vitesse
    1980 531 Raleigh Record Ace
    1978 531 Raleigh Richmond
    1980 531 Carlton Corsair
    1960s Raleigh Hustler - all-steel for shopping

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remove the rear wheel and hold it horizontally on my workbench with the drive side up. Then I pour a little solvent onto a rag and use it to "floss" between each pair of cogs. I'm thinking it's about a 5 minute job.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I remove the rear wheel and hold it horizontally on my workbench with the drive side up. Then I pour a little solvent onto a rag and use it to "floss" between each pair of cogs. I'm thinking it's about a 5 minute job.
    ^^^ This.

But to add to it, I first place the wheel drive side down, spray it with an orange degreaser, brush the cogs, then rinse clean using an adjustable nozzle set on a light spray. When the gunk is off, I turn the wheel over and use a rag with some cleaner on it to better clean (and dry) the cogs. Turning the wheel upside down and using a low volume, low pressure spay helps keep water out of the bearings.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Trek 2.1, Trek 930, Fugi Sagres c.1980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just take off my glasses when I go out to ride and I don't see the dirt.

A stiff brush with soap & water every couple of weeks will remove enough of the dirt to prevent undue wear without removing the cassette (wheel off bike).

Quit cleaning & go ride.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wipe everything with a rag when I do get inspired to clean it, which isn't often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a small amount of WD-40 on the cassette to soften up the gunk (with the wheel off the bike), then floss between the cogs with a rag. I do the same with the chain as OP, soak off the bike.
    I ride because... I really enjoy it !

My Bikes
    Raleigh Venture 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I do on the rear cogs. I also wipe down the chain by wrapping a rag around it and spinning it backwards after every ride. That takes about a minute.
    "Why is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a barbecue?" Anonymous

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleaned 3 drive chains today-

Bike 1---Used the chain cleaning tool with Proper degreaser in it- or rather commercial degreaser I have at work. 1 minute turning the chain and it was clean. Then used a brush to clean the deraillers and Crankset and took the wheel off to get the sisal in between the cogs. Total time 10 minutes but add 5 for cleaning the rear wheel of Dirt and oil.

Bike 2--Have a detachable chain so skinned knuckles later and chain was in the degreaser in a jar and shaken. Then the brush on the deraillers and crankset and No sisal left so folded rag to get between the cogs. Total time 10 minutes + 5 for the wheel and two putting on the elastoplast.

Bike 3 quick wipe over the chain with a greasy rag and wipe excess dirt off the deraillers and crankset. total time 5 minutes and did not do the wheels. Then 15 minutes to do it properly as the chain crunched as it turned and the bike looked dirty.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of ways to clean the chain and gears, the main thing is to do it often and keep it lubed.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Fuji Touring 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1
    I always clean my cassette this way.
    Remember it's mind over matter
    if you don't mind it doesn't matter

Ride more and drive less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    as the chain crunched as it turned and the bike looked dirty.
    Heh!

If the chain crunches like someone chewing ice cubes, it is possibly past time to clean--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I floss cassettes on the bike. I use the white towels (60 pack) from costco. Spray some solvent on the doubled over edge and floss. It just takes a few minutes, so doing it often is easy. Works great on pavement ridden bikes. bk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at the Park Tools chain scrubber, right now I use a mild detergent and a rag for the cassette so I can run it between the rings. I don't like spray cleaners fro the crap they spread when I cleaned my dirt bike chains. I still take the chain off (SRAM as you have Tom) to clean it and always wipe it off after lubricating it.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Schwinn Fred-mobile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coffee can and gasoline!!

I'm kidding, of course. Used to do the mineral spirits or WD-40 bulk fluid.
    Before hitting "Enter" or "Send" ask yourself: Is this true? Is this kind? Is this NECESSARY?
    I once had a Colnago/Campy bike built in Italy...then life caught up with me!
    Now I ride a Schwinn Beach cruiser to work!
    RIP: My friend Charles V. Beasley. We laughed until we cried over Opus and "Bloom County" in the '80s. Always remember "Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    To clean the cassette while on the wheel--Get some sisal string--the old style natural rough coarse stuff- and use it between the rings.
    Was in the LBS the other day and saw a Finish Line product called "Bike Floss" which was essentially that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to start a search for some common material (and cheap) that can be used for flossing.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the chain cleaning machines that clamp on to the bike. The few times I used one way back when, I made more of a mess than I cleaned up. For routine chain cleanup, I drip more than enough Pro Link on the chain, let it sit overnight and then backpedal to run the chain through a hand help shop rag to remove whatever grime comes off with the excess lube. Then I keep running the chain through the rag until it is as dry as I can get it. If the chain gets too gunked up for that method, I take the chain off and clean it thoroughly.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use something that doesn't attract dirt and get all "greasy" in the first place, then there is little/no cleaning to do.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast