Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Magazines

Old 01-24-12, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Magazines

Which BIKE magazines seems to have the better coverage...Just general coverage maintance...

Last edited by fmc1941; 01-24-12 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-24-12, 09:43 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Coverage of what?

I find that the AARP Bulletin has the best coverage for cycling repair.

My coffee table is my workstand and the Bulletin covers it perfectly. Just when I run out of pages, a new one comes in the mail.

I did pull out the pullout section on walking in the current issue, because it's a little on the small side and just in case I decide to do any cross-training.
Old 01-24-12, 09:50 AM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What are you trying to cover?
Old 01-24-12, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
General bike coverage
Old 01-24-12, 11:42 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Here it comes...
Old 01-24-12, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
There are multitude of magazines out there, with fans and detractors of them all. The variety of cycling areas and how they are covered are as different as one might imagine. If you are new to the sport, "Bicycling" by Rodale press is one that many folks have started with. However, there are many people here who quickly out grew their need for the kind of information provided (two of the biggest criticisms are: 1) too many ads and stories about high end equipment that many can't afford, 2) same old stories month after month). There are also cycling magazine that provide race results and keep tabs on the professional cycling world. ProCycling is one. Velo is another. Two additional options that I personally find more fulfilling are CyclingPlus (a British magazine with a fairly wide range of topics, tips and reviews) and Bicycle Times (a refreshing non-race oriented/alternative cycling lifestyle magazine). It may be worth looking at some of the online offerings for all of these before plunking down your cash.
Old 01-24-12, 12:03 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fmc1941
General bike coverage
"Bicycle Times" is a general coverage bike mag.

https://www.bicycletimesmag.com/

https://www.facebook.com/bicycletimes

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 01-24-12, 07:35 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
There used to be one that was for "East Coast Bicycle Culture", but at this moment, I cannot remember what it was called. They had offices right in Arlington, MA. It was a nice Mag, with lots of local stuff.
Old 01-24-12, 08:44 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
My favorite is "Road Bike Action".

I like them because, when they review products, they like some and they don't like others just like real people. Most magazines like everything, especially products with a big ad in the same issue.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 01-25-12 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-24-12, 09:35 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Peloton and Paved in the U.S.
Old 01-25-12, 07:42 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Velo News and Road Bike Action by subscription for me. I buy Cycle Sport America and several other foreign pubs, mainly form England. I get my tech fix from RBA and results and training tips for VN and the others. I like the English/UK pubs a lot for the different style of writing.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-25-12, 08:07 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Peloton and Paved in the U.S.
Ditto. Plus Road Bike Action occasionally, and Bicycle Times when I feel a need to shift the balance away from performance road riding.
Old 01-25-12, 08:45 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hate Bicycling and yet I still subscribe. What's wrong with me? It's amazing how little text they actually "squeeze" on each page. Their graphic designers put pictures, giant first letters, giant quotes from the short articles, and all sorts of junk on each page - to avoid having to actually write something? Most (virtually all?) of their training articles don't apply to me because I'm not a racer, don't want advice on what to eat, etc. Their "reviews" of bikes are like thumbnails of pictures, and their one-liners at the end are ludicrous. I actually get more out of the ads than the articles.

I much prefer Road Bike Action. They have actual articles and several reviews each month that are actual, fairly-in-depth reviews. The bikes they focus on are mostly far out of my price range, but they do have plenty of reviews of lower-priced rides.

I've recently subscribed to Bicycle Times. It's interesting, but it's not really aimed at someone like me. I'm a recreational rider who participates in a couple of centuries a year, and goes on tour each summer. It seems to be mostly oriented towards urban commuters. A recent topic was finding bicycling clothes that don't involve Spandex or jerseys. I wear Spandex shorts because I like them (certainly not because I think I look good in them) and jerseys because I like how they fit and like the pockets in the back. I have no desire to find some other apparael because I'm concerned about looking like one of those bike racers. If I want to avoid cycling togs I can go back to riding in jeans and a t-shirt like I did in college. Still, there's plenty of things of interest in the magazine. Will I renew my subscription when it expires? The jury is still out.

I really like Adventure Cyclist since I'm a tourer. I usually read it cover to cover in a few days. My biggest criticism is that it's too short.
Old 01-25-12, 09:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I've recently subscribed to Bicycle Times.
+1 I recently subscribed also.
Old 01-25-12, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I subscribe to a few; Bicycling, Velo News, Road, Bicycling Times, Road Bike Action, Adventure Cycling... They're all a little different with different foci. The one least applicable to my riding and one I may not renew is Bicycling Times. Its main focus is eco/bike advocacy and associated commuting and utility cycling. It's all good, just not my thang. Of the others, I'd rate them Road Bike Action, Velo News, Bicycling, Adventure Cycling. Road is expensive @ $53/yr and it's main attraction is its photography and large pix.
Old 01-25-12, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked up Peloton the other day, tres cool, mix of old vintage photos and newer stuff.
Old 01-25-12, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 583 Posts
Road: Peloton (U.S.) and CycleSport (U.K./U.S.); some issues of Cycling+ (U.K.) and of Paved (U.S.).
Mtb: Bike (U.S.), Singletrack (U.K.). Probably Switchback (mtb version of Peloton) if I can ever find a copy.
Blog: BSNYC
Of these, Peloton and BSNYC are far and away my favourites.

The rest, far as I'm concerned, are bumfodder. Don't care for the faux-'60s/hipster 'vibe' of either Dirt Rag or Bicycle Times, for example, and Bicycling is simply unspeakably bad (and the 'one-article-every-fourth-issue' that might be worth reading can be read while sipping an espresso in Chapters [//Borders]).
Unfortunately, Cycling+ had moved a little in the 'Bicycling' direction the past few years (used to subscribe), but seems slowly to be moving back to being a good, interesting, all-around 'road' magazine.
Old 01-25-12, 05:13 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I haven't renewed my LAB membership so my Bicycling subscription finally ran out.
I just renewed my subscription to RBA.
I buy other mags at the bookstore if they have something I want to read.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-25-12, 05:18 PM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
My favorites are: Paved, Mostly because of the focus on inspiring cycling photography, and Bicycle Times.
Old 01-25-12, 06:51 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
if it were not $8+ bucks an issue Vintage Bicycle Quarterly , Jan Heine's, out of Seattle
has its own clique, of readers. he is into classic French Brevet machines.

Tries to compare stuff in a controlled test, so less about writers shilling
for the stuff sent in for free.
Old 01-25-12, 07:11 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
I prefer the Interwebs.
Old 01-26-12, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I prefer the Interwebs.
Yep..

On maintenance, If Sheldon Brown hasn't covered it, it isn't worth covering. That said, there are a lot of sites like Park Tools etc that have maintenance info.
Old 01-27-12, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 66 Posts
What better way to enjoy a Starbuck's coffee while your significant other goes shopping at the mall, than just sampling the magazine rack at Barnes & Noble. By the time I get there, there's no place to sit.
Old 01-27-12, 12:54 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I prefer just browsing what's on the web. I used to do subscriptions, but the old issues tend to pile up, and I don't have time to read them anyway. It would be nice to find some online publication with writing as clean and engaging as the New Yorker or Esquire. Sort of a literary/style magazine that focuses on bicycles. Momentum (out of Vancouver) is into style, but it's hard to get the good writers unless they're well-paid.

It always helps too if the mag has a photo spread of naked females draped over state-of-the-art bikes!

L.
Old 01-27-12, 01:08 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
On maintenance, If Sheldon Brown hasn't covered it, it isn't worth covering.
Unfortunately I have to disagree.

Even while he was still alive, Sheldon admitted he had so many pages of website that he couldn't keep them all accurately updated. Since he has died, the world keeps marching on and his wonderful website, unfortunately, doesn't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.