Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Ragbrai XL - 2012 (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/795647-ragbrai-xl-2012-a.html)

Randy Bosma 01-30-12 10:14 PM

Ragbrai XL - 2012
 
RAGBRAI's route for this year was announced January 28:
  • Sioux Center Saturday, July 21
    54.4 miles and 1583 feet of climbing to
  • Cherokee Sunday, July 22
    62.0 miles and 2062 feet of climbing to
  • Lake View Monday, July 23
    81.2 miles and 1724 feet of climbing to
  • Webster City Tuesday, July 24
    77.1 miles and 2018 feet of climbing to
  • Marshalltown Wednesday, July 25
    84.8 miles and 3576 feet of climbing to
  • Cedar Rapids Thursday, July 26
    42.2 miles and 2272 feet of climbing to
  • Anamosa Friday, July 27
    69.4 miles and 2890 feet of climbing to
  • Clinton Saturday, July 28
471.1 miles and 16125 feet of climbing for the whole week. Anybody in? :twitchy:

I registered yesterday. Started training today.

BlazingPedals 01-31-12 06:45 AM

Have fun! I did it in '08, just to say I had. WAY too many other cyclists on the road for my taste. But I know that some people just love that aspect of the ride. It looks like a lot less climbing than I did, should be a fast route. (If you can avoid being caught in the crowds like a fly in amber.)

DGlenday 01-31-12 09:29 AM

I did it last year - will be doing other big rides this year.

Have a blast!

wnl256 01-31-12 10:37 AM

I did it last year and had a blast! See my avatar (that's the Mississippi behind me and a 50+ jersey on me)! Would love to do it again but probably won't be able to take enough time off work this year. I'm considering doing the second half of BRAG instead.

Riding with 10000 to 20000 other cyclists didn't bother me much, and was actually fun once I got used to it. My first mistake was assuming I could actually ride through a "pass-through" town. But it's way too crowded for that: you have to walk through them.

70 miles on the last day will be tough. Everyone is in a hurry to get to the end town to meet their charter buses, which usually start leaving mid-afternoon.

Retro Grouch 01-31-12 10:43 AM

One of my claims to fame is riding Wednesday of RAGBRAI I.

teachme 01-31-12 01:55 PM

Ragbrai is definitely on my to-do list, but I don't think it will be this summer, maybe in 2013...

bigbadwullf 01-31-12 01:59 PM

Might could do a stage or two but a whole week is definitely not in the works (insert grumble about running your own business)

Phil85207 01-31-12 05:47 PM

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Konasutra 01-31-12 06:02 PM

Will be riding Ragbrai again this year, Riding from my sisters house 115 miles south of Sioux Center, Then riding the route till Friday, then going North to a friend house on Sat. for a day, will leave his place on Monday for my ride back to my sisters house. Should be close to 900 miles of riding by the time i get back. All self supported. Hoping for a little cooler weather this year, was a scorcher last year.

rdtompki 01-31-12 06:52 PM

I'd be interested in their source of climbing totals. I looked at last year's course legs on ridewithgps, a reasonable barometer of climbing, and the published totals very the ride were significantly great; I think more than 2x. I might try to due a leg if I'm in Iowa on business.

wnl256 02-01-12 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdtompki (Post 13792709)
I'd be interested in their source of climbing totals. I looked at last year's course legs on ridewithgps, a reasonable barometer of climbing, and the published totals very the ride were significantly great; I think more than 2x. I might try to due a leg if I'm in Iowa on business.

At this point I'm sure the climbing totals are estimates as they haven't decided on the exact routes yet. Once the routes are finalized, Rich Ketcham will likely go out on the route with his GPS equipment and get accurate course and climb information, then post it on http://www.geobike.com/

It is generally accepted as being accurate. Ridewithgps goes by approximate terrain information provided by another source and may not be as accurate as someone riding the course with the right equipment.

Randy Bosma 02-01-12 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 13789780)
Have fun! I did it in '08, just to say I had. WAY too many other cyclists on the road for my taste. But I know that some people just love that aspect of the ride. It looks like a lot less climbing than I did, should be a fast route. (If you can avoid being caught in the crowds like a fly in amber.)

I've ridden the Apple Cider Century with 5000+ and found myself alone near the end, but that was a one day with multi-length routes and I was doing the metric century.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnl256 (Post 13790600)
I did it last year and had a blast! See my avatar (that's the Mississippi behind me and a 50+ jersey on me)! Would love to do it again .....

I'll be sure my 50+ kit is on for the ceremonial front tire dip in Clinton. :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnl256 (Post 13790600)
Riding with 10000 to 20000 other cyclists didn't bother me much, and was actually fun once I got used to it. My first mistake was assuming I could actually ride through a "pass-through" town. But it's way too crowded for that: you have to walk through them.

Registration is allegedly capped at 10000; but there must be a few (thousand) more that scab the route. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnl256 (Post 13790600)
70 miles on the last day will be tough. Everyone is in a hurry to get to the end town to meet their charter buses, which usually start leaving mid-afternoon.

For my riding buddies home is 15 miles east of Clinton. I, however, have three more hours of expressway(s) to get to my own bed. :notamused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 13790633)
One of my claims to fame is riding Wednesday of RAGBRAI I.

Interesting! How was it with no crowds, no entertainment, no roadside food stands ??? And I'm assuming you must have been a teenager then, right? :innocent:

Randy Bosma 02-01-12 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konasutra (Post 13792546)
Will be riding Ragbrai again this year, Riding from my sisters house 115 miles south of Sioux Center, Then riding the route till Friday, then going North to a friend house on Sat. for a day, will leave his place on Monday for my ride back to my sisters house. Should be close to 900 miles of riding by the time i get back. All self supported. Hoping for a little cooler weather this year, was a scorcher last year.

Wow, the IronMan version of RAGBRAI! I'm with ya on the weather wish. :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnl256 (Post 13795809)
At this point I'm sure the climbing totals are estimates as they haven't decided on the exact routes yet. Once the routes are finalized, Rich Ketcham will likely go out on the route with his GPS equipment and get accurate course and climb information, then post it on http://www.geobike.com/

It is generally accepted as being accurate. Ridewithgps goes by approximate terrain information provided by another source and may not be as accurate as someone riding the course with the right equipment.

Very interesting website with piles of historical data. I wonder how much time and gas he has invested in driving all the legs of all 39 years? Thanks for the link.

And thanks to all for the good wishes. Now, on to more trainer time. :cry:

Retro Grouch 02-01-12 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Bosma (Post 13797093)
Interesting! How was it with no crowds, no entertainment, no roadside food stands ??? And I'm assuming you must have been a teenager then, right? :innocent:

The Girl Scouts had FREE cookies for us. FREE! Nobody thought about using RAGBRAI for a fund raiser back then.

Uh - back when I was a teenager we never had to ride up hills because the earth was still flat.

thirdgenbird 02-01-12 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnl256 (Post 13790600)
My first mistake was assuming I could actually ride through a "pass-through" town. But it's way too crowded for that: you have to walk through them.

you can if you learn to track stand

wnl256 02-01-12 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Bosma (Post 13797093)
Registration is allegedly capped at 10000; but there must be a few (thousand) more that scab the route. :(

Registration is capped (and I believe it is at 10,000). There are lots of "bandits" on the ride, either because they couldn't get a wristband or chose not to pay for one. Some estimates I've seen put the total ridership for RAGBRAI at close to 20,000.

BlazingPedals 02-01-12 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Bosma (Post 13797093)
I've ridden the Apple Cider Century with 5000+ and found myself alone near the end, but that was a one day with multi-length routes and I was doing the metric century.

LOL - I live in Michigan, but you're closer to Three Oaks than me. I did ACC once and hope to do it again, but I'm glad I missed last year's rain ride.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 PM.