77.1 miles and 2018 feet of climbing to
    • Marshalltown Wednesday, July 25
      84.8 miles and 3576 feet of climbing to
    • Cedar Rapids Thursday, July 26
      42.2 miles and 2272 feet of climbing to
    • Anamosa Friday, July 27
      69.4 miles and 2890 feet of climbing to
    • Clinton Saturday, July 28

471.1 miles and 16125 feet of climbing for the whole week. Anybody in?

I registered yesterday. Started training today.
    2011 Masi Speciale Randonneur
    2009 Trek FX 7.3

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fun! I did it in '08, just to say I had. WAY too many other cyclists on the road for my taste. But I know that some people just love that aspect of the ride. It looks like a lot less climbing than I did, should be a fast route. (If you can avoid being caught in the crowds like a fly in amber.)

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it last year - will be doing other big rides this year.

Have a blast!
    Regards,
    Duncan

My Bikes
    Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it last year and had a blast! See my avatar (that's the Mississippi behind me and a 50+ jersey on me)! Would love to do it again but probably won't be able to take enough time off work this year. I'm considering doing the second half of BRAG instead.

Riding with 10000 to 20000 other cyclists didn't bother me much, and was actually fun once I got used to it. My first mistake was assuming I could actually ride through a "pass-through" town. But it's way too crowded for that: you have to walk through them.

70 miles on the last day will be tough. Everyone is in a hurry to get to the end town to meet their charter buses, which usually start leaving mid-afternoon.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my claims to fame is riding Wednesday of RAGBRAI I.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ragbrai is definitely on my to-do list, but I don't think it will be this summer, maybe in 2013...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might could do a stage or two but a whole week is definitely not in the works (insert grumble about running your own business)

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fun and enjoy yourself.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Kona Sutra , Seven Axiom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be riding Ragbrai again this year, Riding from my sisters house 115 miles south of Sioux Center, Then riding the route till Friday, then going North to a friend house on Sat. for a day, will leave his place on Monday for my ride back to my sisters house. Should be close to 900 miles of riding by the time i get back. All self supported. Hoping for a little cooler weather this year, was a scorcher last year.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested in their source of climbing totals. I looked at last year's course legs on ridewithgps, a reasonable barometer of climbing, and the published totals very the ride were significantly great; I think more than 2x. I might try to due a leg if I'm in Iowa on business.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I'd be interested in their source of climbing totals. I looked at last year's course legs on ridewithgps, a reasonable barometer of climbing, and the published totals very the ride were significantly great; I think more than 2x. I might try to due a leg if I'm in Iowa on business.
    At this point I'm sure the climbing totals are estimates as they haven't decided on the exact routes yet. Once the routes are finalized, Rich Ketcham will likely go out on the route with his GPS equipment and get accurate course and climb information, then post it on http://www.geobike.com/

It is generally accepted as being accurate. Ridewithgps goes by approximate terrain information provided by another source and may not be as accurate as someone riding the course with the right equipment.

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX (2009)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Have fun! I did it in '08, just to say I had. WAY too many other cyclists on the road for my taste. But I know that some people just love that aspect of the ride. It looks like a lot less climbing than I did, should be a fast route. (If you can avoid being caught in the crowds like a fly in amber.)
    I've ridden the Apple Cider Century with 5000+ and found myself alone near the end, but that was a one day with multi-length routes and I was doing the metric century.

Quote Originally Posted by wnl256 View Post
    I did it last year and had a blast! See my avatar (that's the Mississippi behind me and a 50+ jersey on me)! Would love to do it again .....
    I'll be sure my 50+ kit is on for the ceremonial front tire dip in Clinton.

Riding with 10000 to 20000 other cyclists didn't bother me much, and was actually fun once I got used to it. My first mistake was assuming I could actually ride through a "pass-through" town. But it's way too crowded for that: you have to walk through them.
    Registration is allegedly capped at 10000; but there must be a few (thousand) more that scab the route.

70 miles on the last day will be tough. Everyone is in a hurry to get to the end town to meet their charter buses, which usually start leaving mid-afternoon.
    For my riding buddies home is 15 miles east of Clinton. I, however, have three more hours of expressway(s) to get to my own bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    One of my claims to fame is riding Wednesday of RAGBRAI I.
    Interesting! How was it with no crowds, no entertainment, no roadside food stands ??? And I'm assuming you must have been a teenager then, right?
    2009 Trek FX 7.3

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX (2009)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Konasutra View Post
    Will be riding Ragbrai again this year, Riding from my sisters house 115 miles south of Sioux Center, Then riding the route till Friday, then going North to a friend house on Sat. for a day, will leave his place on Monday for my ride back to my sisters house. Should be close to 900 miles of riding by the time i get back. All self supported. Hoping for a little cooler weather this year, was a scorcher last year.
    Wow, the IronMan version of RAGBRAI! I'm with ya on the weather wish.

At this point I'm sure the climbing totals are estimates as they haven't decided on the exact routes yet. Once the routes are finalized, Rich Ketcham will likely go out on the route with his GPS equipment and get accurate course and climb information, then post it on http://www.geobike.com/

It is generally accepted as being accurate. Ridewithgps goes by approximate terrain information provided by another source and may not be as accurate as someone riding the course with the right equipment.
    Very interesting website with piles of historical data. I wonder how much time and gas he has invested in driving all the legs of all 39 years? Thanks for the link.

And thanks to all for the good wishes. Now, on to more trainer time.
    2009 Trek FX 7.3

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bosma View Post
    Interesting! How was it with no crowds, no entertainment, no roadside food stands ??? And I'm assuming you must have been a teenager then, right?
    The Girl Scouts had FREE cookies for us. FREE! Nobody thought about using RAGBRAI for a fund raiser back then.

Uh - back when I was a teenager we never had to ride up hills because the earth was still flat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first mistake was assuming I could actually ride through a "pass-through" town. But it's way too crowded for that: you have to walk through them.
    you can if you learn to track stand

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Registration is allegedly capped at 10000; but there must be a few (thousand) more that scab the route.
    Registration is capped (and I believe it is at 10,000). There are lots of "bandits" on the ride, either because they couldn't get a wristband or chose not to pay for one. Some estimates I've seen put the total ridership for RAGBRAI at close to 20,000.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden the Apple Cider Century with 5000+ and found myself alone near the end, but that was a one day with multi-length routes and I was doing the metric century.
    LOL - I live in Michigan, but you're closer to Three Oaks than me. I did ACC once and hope to do it again, but I'm glad I missed last year's rain ride.