A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepwagner View Post

I think the reason that people who exercise to lose weight end up gaining weight is pretty simple: from watching friends, its easy to go out and exercise hard enough to burn 500 calories, and then reward yourself with 750 calories worth of ice cream. For example, pushing yourself hard on a bike, and rewarding your self with a couple of glasses of chocolate milk.
    Preacher, you've gone from preachin to meddlin with that one.

My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I blamed my weight gain over the years on slowing metabolism. I exercised a lot, but the pounds kept creeping up. A year ago, I downloaded a free app (LoseIt.com) on my iPhone and started using it daily. It takes all of your personal info (age, weight, etc.) and sets a daily calorie budget for you depending on how much weight you want to lose over what period of time. You record everything you eat as well as all of your exercise, and it tracks your progress. Basically, if you follow the budget or go under it, you should lose weight.

I was skeptical but it was fun to play with on my new iPhone. The surprising thing was that I lost weight almost exactly at the rate I picked (1 lb/week) when I set my calorie budget. I reached my weight goal right on target and then reset the goal to a lower weight. Eventually I lost 30 lbs, getting back to my college weight, and I've maintained that weight for about 6 months now.

So, in conclusion, the old calories in/ calories out formula works but you have to be pretty diligent about it. Having my iPhone handy made it much more doable because I didn't have an excuse for forgetting to log all of the food I ate. Regular exercise also helped, mainly by making it possible to eat more and still maintain my budget.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    So, in conclusion, the old calories in/ calories out formula works but you have to be pretty diligent about it.
    From what I understand, if you have ever had a significant weight issue - like me - and you lose weight, you will need to be diligent to keep the weight off.

I read an article recently that claimed that even after keeping weight off for 6 years, there are still some chemical indicators that your body is seeking to regain that weight.

That's not the end of the world - all kinds of people have chronic medical conditions that require more expensive and complicated treatment than eating a little less than you might want to.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand, if you have ever had a significant weight issue - like me - and you lose weight, you will need to be diligent to keep the weight off.

I read an article recently that claimed that even after keeping weight off for 6 years, there are still some chemical indicators that your body is seeking to regain that weight.

That's not the end of the world - all kinds of people have chronic medical conditions that require more expensive and complicated treatment than eating a little less than you might want to.
    The bolded sections are precisely why I'm working so hard. It's not easy getting it off...it's work. But, it is also work to keep it off and I am determined like h*** to keep it off.

I believe that those who did the work, calorie control and exercise, to get weight off are more likely to keep it off than those who had surgery to aid in weight loss.

My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine who knows a lot more about exercise and human physiology than me says research show that the two best determinants of people who successfully lose weight and keep it off are: (1) weighing yourself daily, and (2) tracking all of the food you eat (and I assume exercise as well). That is why I've continued to track my weight, food intake and exercise even though I met my target weight 6 months ago. Checking the scales every day can be frustrating at times because weight can fluctuate widely for a number of reasons, such as salt intake, hydration, exercise and the kinds of food you eat. But it keeps you honest. My weight crept up in December for the usual reasons -- too much pie, cake, cookies, etc over the holidays -- even though I was exercising a lot. I cut back my intake of sweets in January, and my weight started dropping again. However, if I hadn't continued tracking my data and weighing in daily, it would have been very easy to regain 5 lbs.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is said that you should weight yourself first thing in the AM, preferably after a good bowel movement, to have the least variation in your measurements.

Daily fluctuations are usually due to water retention or diuresis. I've noticed that sometimes the wieght will go up after vigorous exercise the day before, which is due to fluid retention I am told.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I get really out of control the "fix" is always to start counting calories on a daily basis. The other things that help me are weighing myself and waist measurement.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    A friend of mine who knows a lot more about exercise and human physiology than me says research show that the two best determinants of people who successfully lose weight and keep it off are: (1) weighing yourself daily, and (2) tracking all of the food you eat (and I assume exercise as well).
    My experience doesn't support #2. My theory is that I have a an expert with me 24 hours a who can tell me whether I am eating too much or not - in fact the sole absolute expert in this matter, and no writing is required.

The expert is, of course, my own body. When I started this process in October of 2010, I realized that I did not know when I was hungry, and when I was not hungry. I had been tuning out those messages from my stomach for decades - and replaced those messages with eating out of boredom, habit, social discomfort, physical pleasure of eating, etc. Note that none of those are hunger. I reflected that I would overeat the most when I was at a social function with people that I was not particularly close to, with really good deserts (boredom, social discomfort, and physical pleasure of eating).

I had an insight that yoga might help me get in touch with my body, and re-establish a route of communication with my stomach. I was shocked when I lost 2.5 lbs in the first week of yoga. This was pretty mild stretching yoga - none of the more cardiovascular varieties.

I was shocked to keep losing 2.5 lbs a week for the next two months.

I continued to be shocked as I kept losing 2.5 lb/week for months on end. Altogether 7 months of losing 2.5 lbs/week.

I weighed myself every day - mostly to verify that I was in fact listening to my stomach, and not conning myself.

I realized at one point that I had lived my whole life with a screwy notion of self-nurture - that in fact a good yoga session was and felt more nurturing than an ice cream sundae.

As a part of exploring self-nuture and physical pleasure, I got on a bike - and had a lot of fun. I kept on the bike because it was fun - but I don't kid myself about calories. If I go out for an hour's ride in the evening, I probably burn 250 calories or so - about a half of a glass of chocolate milk. If/When I start eating due to those other factors - boredom, social discomfort, etc. - 250 calories isn't even a warm up.

For me - and perhaps only for me - tracking what I eat leads me to the wrong question. When I am around people who track their food closely (Weight Watchers, calories counters, etc), the fundamental question is "I really want to eat this, can I eat this?"

For me, the question is, "I can eat this, do I really want to eat this?" - and the answer is almost always "not really". That's mostly because I don't ask the question if I am really in fact hungry.

I realize that my results may be highly idiosyncratic for two reasons:
    1. I am a pretty contemplative guy, I guess. I am comfortable pondering my impulses - instead of reacting immediately.
    2. I was never an athlete - so I think the deeper cause was decades of alienation from my own body. People who were once athletic and no longer are may have a completely different experience.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a part of exploring self-nuture and physical pleasure, I got on a bike - and had a lot of fun. I kept on the bike because it was fun - but I don't kid myself about calories. If I go out for an hour's ride in the evening, I probably burn 250 calories or so - about a half of a glass of chocolate milk. If/When I start eating due to those other factors - boredom, social discomfort, etc. - 250 calories isn't even a warm up.
    [/LIST]
    I never finished the story. After getting on a bike, and continuing to pay attention to my "expert", I kept losing weight, albeit at a slower pace. By November of 2011, my doctor ordered me to stop losing weight - in fact, he wanted me to gain 10 lbs.

I listened to my stomach a little less assiduously, and followed his advice, and gained 4 lbs over the next two months. I didn't like the way that felt, and have returned to my internal expert, and and have lost 3 of those lbs.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im 73 and during the warm months, I ride approx 30 miles every other day. In the last 3 years since I retired I went from 195 down to 170 by that riding and eating reasonably. Just ride------as some one stated his recumbent bike was his LRM------lard removal maching!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmichell View Post
    So the laws of physics have not been repealed. But what the researchers either didn't study, or the reporter didn't include, was which diets were easier to adhere to. I've seen some research that suggests diets higher in complex carbs, rather than simple carbs (ie sugar), and diets higher in protein, are easier to stick to. And that seems to be true in my own experience as well.
    Same here. One reason is that a cup of brown rice along with fibrous green vegetables feels more filling once it's down the hatch than 4 oz of lean beef. And the three together are a good, balanced meal that sticks with you.

One thing they teach us in diabetes educational classes---the secret of good eating is to make a pie chart out of your plate. Divide it in half, and then divide one of the remaining halves into two quarters. Half of your plate is vegetables. One quarter is complex cabrs. The other quarter is lean protein. Avoid drinking empty calories (soda, juice, and limit alcohol) and avoid processed foods, especially stuff with white flour, white sugar, and especially HFCS. This is a way of eating that anyone can stick to. You can have treatsm even, every now and then. You're at someone's birthday party? Have a small wedge of cake, and make the excess calories up somewhere down the road. You feel like having some ice cream after a ride on a hot day? Have a small cup, but leave off the sweet hot fudge which is full of that poison called HFCS (high fructose corn syrup for the uninitiated). Don't deny yourself the occasion treat or feel like you're cheating. Feeling "deprived" is bad for your long term prospects of keeping the weight off. Too many people get to their goal weight and decide to splurge, and then splurging becomes the norm again, rather than the occasional treat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    It is said that you should weight yourself first thing in the AM, preferably after a good bowel movement, to have the least variation in your measurements.

Daily fluctuations are usually due to water retention or diuresis. I've noticed that sometimes the wieght will go up after vigorous exercise the day before, which is due to fluid retention I am told.
    I've also noticed that if the weather keeps me off the bike for a couple of days, my weight actually drops. And that I might be a pound heavier the morning after a hard ride. I have a target range, and as long as it stays within that range, I'm good with it. I was actually a little concerned a couple of weeks ago, when I dropped below 150 and as low as 146, without any apparent reason. But I'm back into my comfort range of 150-157.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that has not been looked at by this thread is physical issues like a thyroid not working properly.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12