Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I just became a LeBron James fan!

Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting article with the stats and stuff. I think he's not the only pro athlete to cycle to work, but I don't imagine there are a lot of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LeBron says despite his annual $16 million salary, this isn't his first work commute on two wheels.

"I've done it a few times; it's not common but I've done it a few times. It felt good this morning," James said after the game.
    Yahh, he's just a regular bloke like you and me. Nice to know we have something in common.

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look where the top tube and down tube meet. Is there any chance this custom bike really fits?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That story doesn't mention that LeBron James owns a major stake in Cannondale (since 2007).
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/3...o-work-to.html
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big redhead, Bill Walton, is big into cycling also.
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
    Walton rode the 109 at Tour de Tucson last November, as did Barry Bonds. I thought I read somewhere that Phil Jackson rode a bike to practice when he played with the Knicks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joey Harrington of Detroit Lions was almost killed in a cycling accident last year, ditto Australian F-1 driver, and noted cyclist Mark Webber in 2008.

And if you're a Cav's fan, you're no fan of LeBron. But note: there is a potential "prodigal son" story in the making according to some recent news articles re LeBron leaving Miami and returning to Cleveland when his contract is up. Could get interesting...
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LeBron isn't the only NBA player to ride. Several of them have been in the "news" lately for their regular riding. A "Giant" helmet?

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
    See him peddaling in the SD area all the time... He rides a beautiful custom made Holland painted by Joe Bell.

Did you read the article - why would the writer say "his giant helmet"? Like is he suppose to wear a tiny beanie?

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport, Trek TX700,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that is what we all need. Someone "back in the back" at work to wash our commuting clothes so we can wear them home. Lebron is a brand and he works it.

Go Mavs
    Wayne

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waynesulak View Post

Go Mavs
    Word

DirkSwish
    Last edited by jmccain; 01-31-12 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    That story doesn't mention that LeBron James owns a major stake in Cannondale (since 2007).
    I thought I had read that he sold out to Pacific/Dorel when the other owners did.
    I heard he was involved in helping kids get bikes when he was in Cleveland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife was a big LeBron fan because they are both grads of St. Vincent - St. Mary high school in Akron. Now that he is playing for Miami...not so much.
    Last edited by Louis; 01-31-12 at 04:52 PM.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had built up a big dislike of LeBron over the years. I think he got caught up in the whole superstar thing and was extremely self obsessed (using the royal "we", etc). I think he has changed. Interviews show a more graceful and mature man. I think he gets it now, and I actually like him (much to the disdain of my wife and other friends). I could relate some terrible stories of his "ass-holiness" in youth, but who among us didn't have those moments?
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    My wife was a big LeBron fan because they are both grads of St. Vincent - St. Mary high school in Akron. Now that he is playing for Miami...not so much.
    A number of my childhood friends from Goodyear Heights went there, and a house my mother lived in as a child was torn down to make room for the gym. In my opinion, de facto recruiting by parochial schools is the leading factor in the destruction of beneficial community involvement in HS athletics. It does work really, really well if your kid just happens to be that once in a lifetime talent. As if...
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    A number of my childhood friends from Goodyear Heights went there, and a house my mother lived in as a child was torn down to make room for the gym. In my opinion, de facto recruiting by parochial schools is the leading factor in the destruction of beneficial community involvement in HS athletics. It does work really, really well if your kid just happens to be that once in a lifetime talent. As if...
    Yeah, I tend to agree.

My granddaughter, a former h.s. basketball star, was in a position to finish her last two years at a parochial school (not St. V/M.) even though her parents couldn't afford the tuition; I don't know the details. She chose to remain at her public school and still got a nice D1 scholarship.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    I thought I had read that he sold out to Pacific/Dorel when the other owners did.
    I heard he was involved in helping kids get bikes when he was in Cleveland.
    You are probably right. Another article I saw said he had been an owner in the past. I don't really know anything about the guy. Basketball players are not really on my radar screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letting your franchise player bicycle through Miami traffic? Scary.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The word "fan" like in sports fan, comes from the word "fanatic". Let's not put too much into sports personalities. We don't have to mention all the most recent scandalous behavior. But the one thing that we seem to agree on is virtue. When we see that, it rings true.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A slightly different take on this (non)story:

"This story has been all over the news, and it's a perfect example of what's wrong with America. Where else would the sports media marvel over the fact that a professional athlete in peak physical condition was able to survive a bicycle ride of just over half an hour?
    The ride took 40 minutes and he safely arrived at the arena with plenty of time to spare.
    I'm not sure if they're amazed he was able to do something a typical Dutch grandmother does on a daily basis, or that he didn't get run over by a car, or both, but in any case it's a sad reminder of just how developmentally challenged our relationship with cycling is here in Canada's steer head belt buckle. I'm also not sure why James opted for the "Cat 6 scuba diver" look (especially given the fact that he's in Miami, where it seems like his usual basketball uniform would have been a cooler and more comfortable choice of attire) but I'm sure he had his reasons. In any case, I certainly don't mean to criticize James himself for his mode of transport; rather, I just wish I lived in a country where this wasn't considered in any way remarkable. (I also wonder if ESPN would have found it funny if James was hit by a car and sent flying into a barbed wire fence.) Even the "smugness media" is excited about it, even though James appears to be one of those infuriatingly un-smug "vehicular cyclists" who wears a helmet and doesn't ride in tweed.
    " (BSNYC)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just happy to see some positive publicity for riding bicycles on streets.