Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a best time of the season to have a fitting done?

I haven't ridden my roadbike since late Oct. The only issue that I can remember from last year is a sore shoulder sometimes on rides greater than 35 miles. I occasionally have this problem when doing military press lifting at the Y. Maybe once or twice a month. So I don't think it's totally bike related.

I'm going to FL. in a couple weeks to ride. Should I have a fitting done or wait until I get back or even wait until late spring?

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the current fit is "close enough", then you're probably better off to wait until you're broken-in for the season.

I ride all winter but still find I'm not as flexible at this time of year.

Although you could get fitted now for your off-season flexibility, planning ahead to remove a spacer or two as seasonal flexibility returns. I guess it depends on where you think the trouble is with your fit--the saddle/pedals relationship or the saddle/bars relationship.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have a quick and dirty fitting done now, and a more complete fitting done after having some miles under your belt this season. With fitness, your body can accommodate a wider range of positions/motions. Right now, I would think you want a basic fitting to avoid any injury due to something being completely off.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I need a shorter stem..... I mean the bike needs a shorter stem.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you riding a road bike? I found that shortening my stem on the Defy made a big difference after I went from riding with my hands on the bar to riding on the hoods. I changed from a 110 mm stem to a 90 mm stem and the shoulder pain, hand numbness and arm pain went away. My new bike was set up to the same exact measurements as the Defy from the settings in the Retul computer. On yesterday's 30 mile ride, the shoulder pain came back as did the hand numbness. I guess I have to get it back to the fitter and see what adjustments need to be made if tomorrow's 30 mile ride produces the same problem.

I think you'll like riding in Florida. We are having excellent weather here and it's been great for cycling.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on which fit method you use and who does it is important to consider. The LBS where I had my fit done offers several methods as well as adjustments, after the fact, as part of the service. Sometimes the fit might result in aggressive changes that need to be completed over time. For instance if your seat height needs moved by 3/4" it might be best to move it 1/4" at a time. The same with bar height and stem length which would allow for your body to transition over time. You could have the fit done now, then later in the season when your are more flexible and in better riding condition have adjustments made.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had my fitting it was in the dead of winter, and the fitter set me up with some options to get a bit longer & lower as my flexibility improved throughout the season. While he didn't say so explicitly, it struck me that it would be more difficult to do the opposite (set up a bike with options to get shorter & taller as your body stiffened up in winter?) ...though now that I think about it, it's probably no different. So, um, I dunno, I got nothin'...

My Bikes
    Soma Stanyan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your shoulder may be weak. I found doing 100 push-ups a couple of times a week really helps in my long distant riding, neck and shoulder soreness. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW0lK..._order&list=UL
    To me the life is a glass half full, I love optimism, life's better that way.
    Riding the streets of San Francisco, the roads of West Marin and Northern California...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipaparker View Post
    Your shoulder may be weak. I found doing 100 push-ups a couple of times a week really helps in my long distant riding, neck and shoulder soreness. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW0lK..._order&list=UL
    Yes it is and that's why moving up in the military press (over your head) has been most difficult.

wreckrider
    My Bikes
    cannondale carbon synapse 5/ specialized secteur elite/moto cafe sprint/ jamis steel hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just watch out ur not dealing with a rotator cuff or bicep issue. i would not ignore the pain if the fittings don't take care of it.
    For those adventurers who "wish to wander into the history of their lives" Don Q-Cervantes
    cannondale carbon synapse 5* specialized secteur elite (alum) * Jamis Citizen (steel-hybrid)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a lot stronger than last Oct. I think I'll wait until after the Fl trip and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice guys.