Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OT - Download sites for MP3 music for my new cell phone

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 06:37 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

OK, I downloaded all my gospel songs from my gospel groups CD into my android phone, and set up a play list.

I tried to find a site where I could legally download mp3 songs, and all I could find was Amazon, which was fine, except there seems to be no way to preview the song/album.

Any other legal sites where one might preview before buying? Am I missing something at Amazon?

Thanks.

I posted on 50+ because I thought there might be a chance someone would respond in language I might be able to understand.

And. to keep bicycle related, I might play these on bicycle trips, but NEVER while riding!!
Old 01-23-12, 06:50 PM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
If you have the song title and artist,
you can hear most songs on Youtube.
Even old and osbcure ones

Old 01-23-12, 07:02 PM
Banned.

OK, but I really wanted to download to my phone so I could hear them, not watch.
Old 01-23-12, 07:07 PM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I thought the problem was that you couldn't preview the songs from
Amazon. So I was suggesting that you preview the songs on Youtube
and purchase the songs you like thru Amazon.
Old 01-23-12, 07:41 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://mp3.com

Last edited by Pete In Az; 01-24-12 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 07:44 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
I thought the problem was that you couldn't preview the songs from
Amazon. So I was suggesting that you preview the songs on Youtube
and purchase the songs you like thru Amazon.
Oh!!

OK, I misunderstood

Thanks
Old 01-23-12, 08:23 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm glad you ask the question cause I have a smart phone and didn't know I could upload music to it. I did know I could play lots of different music radio programs on it though.
Old 01-23-12, 10:27 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
IMO, the best place to buy music is Apple's iTunes. (I have a 'Droid, and the iTunes format plays just fine.)

The best place to preview music is Spotify. Install it on your PC or your phone or both, listen to the music, then get it on iTunes.

(I'm a part-time rock music journalist, and do this stuff all the time )
Old 01-24-12, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I also play iTunes on my 'Droid. But I'm still old school about this...most of my music is purchased on CD. This way there is no doubt about ownership. I also have to say that I still got about 150+ vinyl albums from a large collection to convert to digital yet.
Old 01-24-12, 06:04 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I also play iTunes on my 'Droid. But I'm still old school about this...most of my music is purchased on CD. This way there is no doubt about ownership. I also have to say that I still got about 150+ vinyl albums from a large collection to convert to digital yet.
Technically with a CD, you only own the piece of plastic that it comes on, same with Vinyl and tape, the music is owned by the original composer or their agent and the performance is owned by the performer or their agent, in many cases the record label or the company that owns the record label is the agent. The plastic comes with permission to use the piece of plastic to listen to the music, but you actually don't own it. Every generation of copyright law, means you as the end user, has less and less ability to do things with the money you spend, which seems to always increase.

What I find interesting is I can go into a book store and buy a physical book, and it costs me $10, which is reasonable, they need to obtain the paper, print it, bind it, ship it, pay customs on it, ship it some more, store it on a shelf, and finally sell it to me. With a digital download, it still costs me $10, but there is no paper, no printing, no binding, no shipping, no customs and no storage, and they keep passing new laws that allow me to do less and less with my $10.
Old 01-24-12, 07:40 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
Technically with a CD, you only own the piece of plastic that it comes on, same with Vinyl and tape, the music is owned by the original composer or their agent and the performance is owned by the performer or their agent, in many cases the record label or the company that owns the record label is the agent. The plastic comes with permission to use the piece of plastic to listen to the music, but you actually don't own it. Every generation of copyright law, means you as the end user, has less and less ability to do things with the money you spend, which seems to always increase.

What I find interesting is I can go into a book store and buy a physical book, and it costs me $10, which is reasonable, they need to obtain the paper, print it, bind it, ship it, pay customs on it, ship it some more, store it on a shelf, and finally sell it to me. With a digital download, it still costs me $10, but there is no paper, no printing, no binding, no shipping, no customs and no storage, and they keep passing new laws that allow me to do less and less with my $10.
I'm only talking about owning the CD. Having successfully won a copyright suit against a major university, I'm fairly familiar with copyright laws/issues.

In terms of the $10 book issue. Running and maintaining servers, paying for the promotion of the product, etc. are not free.
Old 01-24-12, 07:51 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Dnvr,

You may want to try Rhapsody. You can go to their web site and search for the type of music you want and it will show all the artist and CD/albums that are available. You can also do a 30 sec preview of the song you want to listen to. If you join, you can listen to the entire song or CD/album and then buy it from them as an mp3 download. All you have to do then is transfer it to your phone. As a member, you can go on line and listen to as much music as you like, as many times as you like, without having to downloading it. I've been using it for years and have downloaded some of my best music from them.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-24-12, 07:52 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Not sure how the Amazon interface to your phone works, but on a computer there are usually music samples on the page for music downloads and CDs.
https://www.amazon.com/Singular-Geniu...r_195223011_14
Old 01-24-12, 08:11 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Not sure how the Amazon interface to your phone works, but on a computer there are usually music samples on the page for music downloads and CDs.
https://www.amazon.com/Singular-Geniu...r_195223011_14
Uh duh!! It was right there, and I totally missed it. Thanks!!
Old 01-24-12, 11:57 AM

Bikes: trek pilot 2.1, giant trance 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this technique instead. Been doing it for a dozen years and provides exactly what you want to listen to, legally. The cost is around a sawbuck and buys a license that can last a lifetime and may include carry over rights to one or more new computers.

Simply, buy sound recording software for your computer's sound card. I use Total Recorder, but have no relationship with the company. With zero initial know how, one simply plays one or more songs on their machine (Pandora, Last FM, CD, Spotify, Rhapsody, MP3, vinyl, YouTube etc.) and records the music in a chosen format via the software. Afterwards, it is then possible to separate the song (s) into precisely what you want to hear, under file names chosen by the individual in single songs or in playlists. I use other software to record video, using the same principle.

Besides my wife, Total Recorder is one of the best investments I've ever made. YMMV.
Old 01-24-12, 07:18 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Specilized Roubaix Pro, Schwinn Paramount 1971, trek Remedy, AMP Mtn bike, Cannondale R700, Ibis hardtail,other old bikes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can also try your market app, it should have come with the phone, and then click on music. there are all styles of music available, the previews are much onger than on I=tunes. If you have music on I-tunes, you can make free ringtones from any song that you have listed. Just follow along with this website. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=8rw9yQjY9PA>

Last edited by Smogsteve; 01-24-12 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-24-12, 07:41 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
My wife and son both have ipods, so we have itunes. I let them deal with the headaches of what happens if...

When I want music, I use itunes, buy what I want, and then make a CD using itunes.

I then use a CD ripper and rip the tunes off the CD into MP3 format. I put those songs into my phone. I save the CDs for the day that itunes dies on my pc... oh it will happen... mark my words.

My MP3s are fully portable, the itunes stuff... BLA. And the damn program is bloatware.
Old 01-24-12, 07:48 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

What I find interesting about this concept is that as media changes, some RIAA dweeb really expects me to pay over and over and over again for the same '60's tune from some artist long dead. I don't think so. How many times do I have to buy various forms of plastic to hear "At Last?" And how does this "you only own the plastic" concept work for digital downloads?

While I agree that I don't "own" the music, I don't believe I should have to "lease the right to listen to it" over and over again just because the media changes... the music is still the same... and that is what I want, not the plastic.
Old 01-24-12, 09:16 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I'm only talking about owning the CD. Having successfully won a copyright suit against a major university, I'm fairly familiar with copyright laws/issues.

In terms of the $10 book issue. Running and maintaining servers, paying for the promotion of the product, etc. are not free.
Your right, servers are not free, but they are a lot cheaper to operate then the cost of moving dead trees around, especially for the publisher who moves that cost on to a retailer like Amazon. As for promotion, that's present with a book that is printed as much as with one that is downloaded. Copyright laws used to allow for a backup of the media, technically that would make the tape for the car, legal. The DMCA already eliminated that ability, and they are pushing similar laws to be passed elsewhere, they tried in Canada, but several elections over a short period of time, meant the bills kept dying when Parliament was dissolved. They keep reintroducing it, it may pass this time, but it also is much more open then the US law.....
Old 01-26-12, 08:00 AM

Bikes: $150 BSO Replaced stolen 1980s Motobecane 10 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is why I like Jamendo ( https://www.jamendo.com.) The artists themselves add the music to the site, you can download the music or there is an app that allows you to listen to streamed music from their site. If you like the artists music, you can send them a contribution if not, you can delete it.
Old 01-26-12, 01:34 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by RecLoose
Try this technique instead. Been doing it for a dozen years and provides exactly what you want to listen to, legally. The cost is around a sawbuck and buys a license that can last a lifetime and may include carry over rights to one or more new computers.

Simply, buy sound recording software for your computer's sound card. I use Total Recorder, but have no relationship with the company. With zero initial know how, one simply plays one or more songs on their machine (Pandora, Last FM, CD, Spotify, Rhapsody, MP3, vinyl, YouTube etc.) and records the music in a chosen format via the software. Afterwards, it is then possible to separate the song (s) into precisely what you want to hear, under file names chosen by the individual in single songs or in playlists. I use other software to record video, using the same principle.

Besides my wife, Total Recorder is one of the best investments I've ever made. YMMV.
^^ This. I didn't want to be the first to disclose this, but I often do that with Rhapsody and other streaming audio sources.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-04-12, 12:13 PM
Banned.

Loving my Android - I have over 100 songs loaded in.

Lots of good apps, including one that tells you elevation and coordinates, and another that lets me listen to police and fire broadcasts no matter where I am!! I can download kindle books and google books and YELP and others. I have map my ride, but have yet to activate. There is also a MS Suite allowing editing of documents - much better than the one that came with the WPhone7.5.

I bought an extended battery - 3500 ma's - lasts forever - $12.95.

Thanks, all.
Old 02-04-12, 12:31 PM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Got to a local bookstore and buy the hard copy. You may be keeping your neighbor in a job.
Old 02-04-12, 03:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
denver, I looked at my files and I have one with 341files in 38 folders in it,they are all mp3files that I took from vinyl records and cleaned them up with an audio restoration program to get rid of the pops scratches ,etc.I can put it on a CD and send it to you and you can write them to your mp3player,let me know and I will do it(along w/ a mail address)
Bud
Old 02-04-12, 05:17 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by oldster
denver, I looked at my files and I have one with 341files in 38 folders in it,they are all mp3files that I took from vinyl records and cleaned them up with an audio restoration program to get rid of the pops scratches ,etc.I can put it on a CD and send it to you and you can write them to your mp3player,let me know and I will do it(along w/ a mail address)
Bud
Sure - I don't know how much room I have left on the 8gb card, but I can choose what is best for me. I will PM you.