Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the saddle again :)

My new doc (a member of our bike group) gave me the green light to start riding again, starting small and slowly increasing if no new pain. I wear a BandIT brace on each elbow on every ride, and ice/heat/ice immediately after.

I started last Tuesday with a 5 mile ride, and today rode 15. I could ride longer but I'm being conservative to avoid fatigue; if I get tired, I'll rest hard on my arms. As long as I keep a loose grip on the bars, no pain. After 51+ miles since last Tuesday, I'm happy to report there is NO NEW PAIN in my elbows. They seem completely oblivious to this "new" activity!

I still have the same ol' tennis elbow pain and that will continue until this heals, and I believe it will one day. I've read LOTS about tennis elbow, and know it requires lots of patience and lots of time to heal.

I registered for the 25-mile route in the Tour de Palm Springs. Then, I'll continue slowly increasing about 10-12% each week to re-build my base mileage and work my way back.

Meanwhile, Hubby has a new Madone and rode his age +2 last weekend and is considering his first century in Palm Springs. Now, I'm his recovery ride.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back to the bike!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Trek 2.1, Trek 930, Fugi Sagres c.1980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You go girl!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Coming back" is what this place is often all about. As seen in you, cycling kinda goes beyond just cycling.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. You just made my day. Congratulations.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear that news, Surly Girly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you when you say your recovery will take patience. Many decades ago I chucked what was rounding into a decent shot at making a living as a pro tennis player. I developed some arm problems, took six-months off and spent the next six months in the weight room. When the problems came back two months later, I decided to not give the surgeons permission to experiment. Fortunately, during all this rehab I developed passions for cycling and biochemistry and I haven't missed tennis.

I would advise you to take those mileage increases slower than 10-12% per week. This has been a long lay-off and it is really easy to take it too fast. Also, maybe a tandem is in your future, then you and Hubby can share both his hard work-outs and his recovery rides.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is really good news Yen!
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoopee!!
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just plain OUTSTANDING! way to go Yen, just don't push the recovery and return then end up back at zero.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I also appreciate the advice to take things slowly, even B. Carfree's advice to take things a bit slower (coming from someone who knows!). Tennis elbow is like a little devil and takes a lot of work, time, and patience to heal.

Rode 17 miles today, mostly flat with some fast intervals on a trail keeping up (or ahead of) my riding partner. Fun!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay!

I've been MIA for a couple of years now, so I didn't know that you'd stopped riding. Good to hear that you're back on the bike and making great progress. And remember, there's honor in being (temporarily, I'm sure) someone's recovery ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Thanks everyone. I also appreciate the advice to take things slowly, even B. Carfree's advice to take things a bit slower (coming from someone who knows!). Tennis elbow is like a little devil and takes a lot of work, time, and patience to heal.

Rode 17 miles today, mostly flat with some fast intervals on a trail keeping up (or ahead of) my riding partner. Fun!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to hear you are back on the bike. I will be at the TDPS and doing the Century so may see you at the finish.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary: You're right -- hey I'm a Domestique! I've been trying to heal bi-lateral Tennis Elbow and Rotator Cuff Tendinitis since late December 2010. It's not healed yet (not nearly) but I'm able to ride pain-free while wearing elbow bands, and taking things slowly.

Mobile155: I hope to meet you. I ride a black road bike (Specialized Roubaix) and wear a white/silver helmet. Other than that, not sure how you might spot me and if the weather is cool enough I'll be wearing my green jacket. Hey, I might wear my 50+ vest!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WTG Jen Keep it up and you'll be needing a new bike!

BTW, what Madone did he buy
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary: You're right -- hey I'm a Domestique! I've been trying to heal bi-lateral Tennis Elbow and Rotator Cuff Tendinitis since late December 2010. It's not healed yet (not nearly) but I'm able to ride pain-free while wearing elbow bands, and taking things slowly.

Mobile155: I hope to meet you. I ride a black road bike (Specialized Roubaix) and wear a white/silver helmet. Other than that, not sure how you might spot me and if the weather is cool enough I'll be wearing my green jacket. Hey, I might wear my 50+ vest!
    My Jersey and my bike might be easier for you to Spot. There will be a few from our club there Bright Yellow, white and Black jersey With D V V on the back. The bike is black and gold.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, it's great to see you here again and to hear despair is gone. It's almost like Spring, with you, Gary, Louis, and Beverly up and chirping, the robins are coming back to the North!

is your remaining elbow sensitivity related at all to hand pressure? I find that moving my saddle back incrementally, say 1/8 inch or less at a time, helps me noticably reduce hand pressure. I'm think if you are pressing with your hands, that is tension in the tendons passing through the elbows. Reduce the force the hands have to exert, reduce the pressure inside the elbows.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beverly: He has a 5.2 Madone.

Mobile 155: Thanks, I'll look for you! I may wear my bike group jersey which is shades of green and white, but I'm undecided.

John: Thank you, love your analogy to spring. My remaining elbow sensitivity is just that the tennis elbow hasn't finished healing. On the bike, it's not an issue since I wear the elbow bands and am careful how I use my arms. My bike is perfectly dialed in thanks to a fitter I saw in late 2010. On my first ride last month after not riding for 1+ year, I felt not one bit stretched out or uncomfortable -- he did an amazing job. I just need to be more conscious about my hands... I put more pressure on them when I start feeling fatigued which is why I'm being conservative increasing my weekly mileage.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's excellent.
    Silver Eagle Pilot