dbg
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek 5900 Superlight, 2001 Lemond BA, Dozen other muts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it sacrilege to walk the steeps?

Whenever I see discussions on super low gearing for steep hills (and even Sheldon Brown advocated some amazingly low combos) I revert to my images of spinning madly and barely moving inches upward. I find myself setting a lower limit on gearing because I can get off and walk faster. I originally dismounted on the steeps to avoid back strain. I'm better now but I still get off and walk past folks who are spinning crazily and going nowhere.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA (Trek 5900 Superlight), (Lemond BA), (Peugeot UO8 (SS)), (Dozen other muts)

"The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous; everyone hasn't met me yet" --Rodney Dangerfeld

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will stop on a long hill to rest sometimes (hardly ever anymore, used to all the time), but I will not walk. Rest a bit, then get back on and continue.
    DP
    04 Specialized Expedition Sport
    08 Surly LHT

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a rider is "spinning crazily", which I'll take to be 110 rpm, with a 24 tooth chainring and a 27 tooth cog, then you're going to have to walk eight minute miles to keep up. Who's looking like crazy legs?

I have found that it is generally faster to have and use the low gears than it is to walk the steep grades. However, if you enjoy the ride more when you walk a bit, then that's what you should do. As long as you're having fun and being legal, safe and courteous, there really isn't a right way to do it, at least in my opinion.

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes. It is sacrilege. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

dbg
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe not crazily. I do occasionally walk past people on very steep hills. But I promise to try harder to stay in the saddle. (It's not that often anyway)
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA (Trek 5900 Superlight), (Lemond BA), (Peugeot UO8 (SS)), (Dozen other muts)

"I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous; everyone hasn't met me yet" --Rodney Dangerfeld

My Bikes
    2009 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh Sentinel, old department-store MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I subscribe to the 'rest stop' when necessary, remaining on the bike, (many scenarios here, but my favorite is twisting around, looking into the distance as if waiting for a less-fit riding partner) but if I were crossing the Rockies, I'd probably do a lot of walking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way back when I was a young fit bike racer, I'd have rather eaten worms than walk my bike up a hill. Now that I'm all grown up, I just do what needs doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is steep enough to have to walk I certainly won't be able to clip in and start back up. I haven't had to walk on the road but sometimes on my mtb it does happen. But that is probably due to my lack of any technical skills.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is absolutely no shame in walking a bike up a hill. You won't see me doing it, but there's no shame in it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far in my brief cycling life I haven't ridden a hill so steep that I felt the need to walk it. But, if I did; I would.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-works e-5, Davinci joint venture, Specialized Vienna Commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our tandem has a low gear of 18.5 inch, that's about 24-35 with 26 in wheels. We can ride 4 mph up hill at a cadence of 70ish. I can walk 4 mph, but not on a hill pushing a bike, we rest when we need to and ride slow up the hills.
    R

My Bikes
    Specialized Camber Elite 29er
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
    Now that I'm all grown up, I just do what needs doing.
    My thoughts exactly. I don't care what anybody else thinks, If I need to walk up something, I do it. If I hit a spot of singletrack with bigger rocks then I feel comfortable riding across, I walk it. If I need to peddle furiously to go slowly up an incline, then I do it.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had to walk a few hills, especially when the grade is well over 20%. However, I do pull my shirt or jacket over my face so I cannot be recognized......................... OK, just kidding.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    Whenever I see discussions on super low gearing for steep hills (and even Sheldon Brown advocated some amazingly low combos) I revert to my images of spinning madly and barely moving inches upward. I find myself setting a lower limit on gearing because I can get off and walk faster. I originally dismounted on the steeps to avoid back strain. I'm better now but I still get off and walk past folks who are spinning crazily and going nowhere.
    Naperville and steeps? I guess it's all relative. An old timer once told me that he considered walking as his lowest gear. You're still propelling you and your bike with your legs.

dbg
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam83 View Post
    Naperville and steeps? I guess it's all relative. An old timer once told me that he considered walking as his lowest gear. You're still propelling you and your bike with your legs.
    There's one hill in this great corn sea that's almost 5% and nearly 75 yds long. So there.

Maybe my problem is having no hills to train on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not sacrilege but you have to carry the bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I walked the last few feet of Mt Diablo the first time I rode it in 1986. I vowed to never walk a road climb again, and I haven't.

When I was out of shape and coming back after 8 years of not cycling, I had to stop and rest on some steep long climbs to get my heart rate back down. I'm fitter and don't need to do that any more.

My Bikes
    Too many to count
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must wear a "I'm a Wimp" jersey.

I only walk one spot, not because of the
    hill, but it is the top of an over pass
    and very very windy at times. Cross
    winds.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look on it as defeat if I have to walk a hill. I may be going slow and cadence may be down into the 50's on the really long steep ones but Walking is a no-no for me. Couple of reasons--

I have a leg problem and Getting off and walking will cause me some pain---just walking. To be pushing a bike aswell will be even worse.

The hills are there to be conquered and it is one of the few challenges left for me.

Mind you- If it is that steep-I can always not do the hill- or turn round and try another day. It's been a long time since a hill did defeat me but with lack of practice over the winter and a bit of aging coming in- I doubt I could do the 16%er right now but a few rides on the gentler 12% and I will be ready.

Main bike is a compact with 34/27 and the hill bike is a triple with 30/25. I am not a speed merchant either so I do manage to save some energy for the slopes. And where I live- we have plenty of slopes.

Hills take a different mindset. They take training and they take some effort. Put me on a long flat ride and I get bored. Hills do provide the variety and the workout I need to keep me riding.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never walk up a hill. I try to never stop on a hill.

And I never spin fast on any grade. The reason why was made visible to me a few years ago, when I decided to ride my new fixed gear bike (70 inch gear) for a few miles, up a 7% grade to the top of Griffith Park, in Los Angeles. I was thinking I'd turn around after a few hundred yards, but I found I could just keep grinding away.

And although my cranks were turning slowly, I easily passed a group of young guys on mountain bikes who were in their lowest gears (probably around a 20 inch gear). The guys were spinning so fast, and had been for a mile or so, that they were wearing out.

So I try to strike a balance: no matter what the grade, I'll put myself in a gear that keeps my rpms down, and keeps my speed up.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    Well, the question isn't really if you can pass people spinning by walking but whether you yourself are more efficient walking than riding. This is an empirical question that you can get data for with a bike computer and heart rate monitor. If your heart rate is slower and your speed is faster walking than cycling then you are onto something ... give it a try and let us know what your find.
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had to walk a bit three times over the last five years or so. The first was two years ago at Mountains of Misery, where it wasn't the steepness of the road. It was just that I was completely out of gas and my legs were cramping up after 103 miles finishing up a very steep mountain.

The other two were both very short, steep sections of some hilly "rollers" around here. In both cases my Garmin GPS was showing a 26%+ grade. Who knows how accurate that is, but believe me they are both very, very steep despite being quite short. I have a compact setup with a 34/28 low gear. I could have gotten up both of them with a lower gear, but I don't want to use that setup for the few times when I run out of gearing. I had to walk a half a block each time, at most. There's no way I could have gotten restarted after stopping on those.

Besides that I WILL make it up Bear Wallow Rd in Warrenton, VA this summer when I'm lighter and not wearing nine layers of winter clothing

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/136337905
    Last edited by JimF22003; 02-03-12 at 01:05 AM.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's your life and your bike. I've actually fallen over on hills so steep that I couldn't get unclipped in time (and I'm not the only one who has on this particular climb - I've seen Cat 1 riders do the same). If you find more enjoyment walking instead of spinning, then walk. Don't let others live rent free in your head.

Last edited by NOS88; 02-03-12 at 05:06 AM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back problems in the past few years has impacted my ability to climb hills. I often need to stop and rest before continuing up the hill and sometimes I just need to walk. It's tough pushing a bike up a hill but it's less stress on my back and legs. I usually take the Madone on hilly rides as it's lighter than the other bikes.

I have this jersey and I've never met a hill I couldn't walkhill slug.jpg
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some suggested taking a 'rest' stop.

Some suggested 'tough it out'.

May I suggest a 'moving rest walk'. Just keep it moving.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast