Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Hotter N Hell 100 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/796436-hotter-n-hell-100-a.html)

teachme 02-03-12 03:23 PM

Hotter N Hell 100

http://www.hh100.org/
Check this out... I think I'm going to try to make this event. I heard its a Big deal; pro cyclist and everything, from the world over.

zjrog 02-04-12 12:35 AM

I was given a jersey, t-shirt and socks for last years event. I was in the hospital recovering from back surgery then and my sister sent them to me. I do intend to earn that jersey in the next few years.

teachme 02-04-12 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by zjrog (Post 13807415)
I was given a jersey, t-shirt and socks for last years event. I was in the hospital recovering from back surgery then and my sister sent them to me. I do intend to earn that jersey in the next few years.

I heard you can pick up really good deals on apparel at the expo. Hope your back is doing ok...

bradtx 02-04-12 07:19 AM

teachme, It's the one ride I haven't been able to attend... August is always a busy month for me. I'll get there one of these days!

Brad

Yo Spiff 02-04-12 07:42 AM

I'm hoping to be in shape to do it this year. Getting to where I think it's doable. Out to try and do 50-60 miles this morning. 40 mile club ride +getting to to the start and back. Wish me success.

Perhaps at events like the HHH, BF member could have a pin or something to identify themselves to others. It's always nice to be able to meet someone you've only met online before.

StephenH 02-04-12 09:30 AM

I didn't ride it last year, but did the 3 years prior. I think last year, it was actually hotter than the prior years. Normally, it's past the peak heat of the season.

It is a big event in terms of people, 12,000 or so (normally, the numbers you see include the trail races and stuff, too.). Because of all the people, it's not an especially safe place to ride, and there are usually a few wrecks along the way. Moral there is don't get in too big of a hurry, just go with the flow for a while until things open up (which is the 20 or 30 mile mark.)

To me, the main reason to do it IS the crowd. The course is not anything special, and the main obstacle is wind.

I wasn't interested in clothing specials, and didn't see much at the trade show that I couldn't have found at a large local bike shop. One pet peeve is the trade show closes at 3:00, so if you go up the morning of the ride, you have to get in reasonably fast to even get to the trade show. They should keep it open until 7:00 or something.

It is noted for having all the motels full, so figure out where to stay ahead of time. I live in Garland, and I just went to bed 3 hours early, got up 3 hours early, and drove up there.

There are usually some threads in the Texas subforum as the event gets closer, so check there on occasion, too.

bikepro 02-04-12 03:42 PM

If you plan to go, now's the time to make your hotel reservations. If you wait until the last minute, you'll be staying in Nacona with me -- about 50 miles out.

BikeArkansas 02-05-12 03:26 PM

I have been to the HHH the last 5 years. Great event. Remember to always protect your front wheel in that crowd.

A friend and I signed up for the 5 hour pace group for the 2012 ride. We actually rode it in 5 hours in 2011, but to ride in a designed pace group sounded fun to us.

My wife normally rides the metric century while I ride the full century.

We arrive on Friday so that we can find a site for our travel trailer and to watch some of the crit races with the pro riders. Wow are they fast. Both men and women.

There are a few OK sales, but not that great most of the time. Some clothing is at a good discount.

2011 was the hottest ever for the HHH. I believe it topped out at 109 degrees.

Let me say again, protect your front wheel in the crowd of riders.

Yo Spiff 02-05-12 04:01 PM

I'm figuring if I go, I'll just drive out that morning. Wichita Falls is only about 1 1/2 hours away for me.

teachme 02-05-12 05:08 PM

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until 2013 to make it to the HHH. My daughter is getting married on Sept. 15th. My wife just reminded me that weekend in August is too close to the wedding date. So, for now I'm out. But, this is definitely on the horizon for next year!

Rick@OCRR 02-05-12 06:49 PM

I rode it two years ago and agree with what has been said above. A great event ride, very well organized and for sure one that you want to do sometime in your life.

There are "rest stops" every ten miles, so keeping your bottles full is never a problem. I think it only got into the mid 90's F the year I rode it, so not too bad.

I have a friend in San Antonio, so I flew into SA, borrowed his spare Colnago (with Campag), car-pooled to Wichita Falls (TX) with him and his club. Had a really fun ride, just over 5 hours ride time because the course is essentially flat.

Rick / OCRR

zjrog 02-06-12 06:22 AM

Teachme, yes, my sister got all the stuff at the Expo. She moved to San Antonio shortly after the event. But has plans to move back to Wichita Falls in a couple more years. She didn't sell her house. And yes, thank you, I am feeling pretty good and my back is slowly getting stronger. Sadly, I still can only tolerate 10-15 minutes on the bike and thats just on the trainer. Still early in my recovery though.

The socks are my favorite for therapy...

aggiecyclist75 03-06-12 08:50 PM

Rode the last two years ('10, '11). Was 117* on the pavement last year (hence the name Hotter Than Hell), but here in west Texas, my husband and I ride Interstate 10 access roads...straight, slightly hilly, and always windy. The wind and heat really helped prepare us for the ride. The 12K-14K riders make it quite a party and the rest stops every 10 miles are worth the effort...where else can you see nurse/doctors dressed up like barmaids and gunslingers and have longhorn cattle next to the gatorade tent! Each rest stop has a theme. You must make the 60 mile Hell's Gate within 5 hours of the start time, otherwise you're short-cutted back to Wichita Falls. Make your hotel reservations this very minute and take spare change for the Exposition the day before....it's crazy! Gotta love it!!

JesseHunter 03-29-12 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by bikepro (Post 13809187)
If you plan to go, now's the time to make your hotel reservations. If you wait until the last minute, you'll be staying in Nacona with me -- about 50 miles out.

Who do you know in Nocona?

bikepro 03-29-12 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JesseHunter (Post 14032355)
Who do you know in Nocona?

There are two places to stay in Nacona -- the Nacona Inn and the Budget Inn. You can normally get a room at the Budget Inn the last week before the ride, but its pretty basic. The Nacona Inn is small but nice, but normally sells out earlier. Nacona is about 50 miles east of Witicha Falls.

gtragitt 03-29-12 10:04 PM

I rode it the year before last and it was a very worthwhile ride. It was well organized. I rode the 100 mi course. We didn't have a really hot day with a max temp of 96. Getting staged with the correct group will help you make Hell's Gate by the cut-off. Don't get stuck in the back.