Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: What to buy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to buy!

I am a 54 year old male who hade done a fair bit of cycling up till about 5 years ago, which I owned a Jamis coda at that time which I have since sold. I was looking at another jamis street bike or a trek. I plan on using it for both short and long rides that may be up to about 18 miles. I have about $2000.00 + tax to spend and also want to get clip in pedals. Any suggestions on pedal brand or shoe brand, not sure to get a street or off road shoe. I am 6 ft tall 210 lbs and looking to loose a bit through exercise.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. My riding outdoors is seasonal since I live in Ontario Canada. I will probably get a mag trainer for the winter.

Thanks...Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silver Eagle Pilot

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choice is limitless--But a couple of points.

Don't get a Mountain bike unless you are going offroad and Before choosing the bike--Find the LBS (Local Bike Shop)

Start looking- testing bikes and in that way you "May" find the LBS. That is harder than you think it should be.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Navigator 3.0 2008 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
    Really ? , you can't possibly serious youngster , the man didn't mention any spine issues , I'm still re reading
    the OP and your post to make sure I read correctly.
    Anyway OP , if your think your going to be riding 20 miles or less , do you need to spend 2000 dollars ?
    you can accomplish a satisfactory ride for those miles for substantualy less

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to several bike shops (if possible) and look at the bikes. Test ride all that appeal to you. Then buy from the friendliest/most helpful/knowledgeable shop that has one of the bikes you like. Finding a good shop is just as important, if not more so, than finding the right bike.

Be sure you check out Felt bicycles. Awesome ride.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Go to several bike shops (if possible) and look at the bikes. Test ride all that appeal to you. Then buy from the friendliest/most helpful/knowledgeable shop that has one of the bikes you like. Finding a good shop is just as important, if not more so, than finding the right bike.
    What he said.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picking out a bike is only almost as stressful as deciding to get married. (Generally, the N + 1 formula doesn't work for acquiring partners-- test ride at your peril.) Seriously, you might consider looking at bikes not as brands, but in categories. Kind of like buying skis. Bikes differ in what they do for you. Comfort, handling, climbing, carrying gear, sqeezing out your last drop of physical potential, looking pretty and impressing your friends, etc. The kind of bike you buy needs to match the kind of bike you really need and that fits your style of riding at its present level-- and importantly fits your body's needs. So, read around, talk to bike shop people and test ride different kinds of bikes. And be honest with yourself and not manipulated by The Bike Industry.

I wonder if, like VeloGlock above, it isn't smarter to buy a less expensive general purpose "starter" bike now and save your big purchase if its needed for later "down the road" when your riding is more focused.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shop for the shop first. Most bikes are the same today. Shops aren't I'm lucky to have a great shop close. I try to buy all my stuff there. They make it worth my while.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get a full carbon bike. It's easier on the aging joints. Steel is real and might also be a good choice.

People squawk about groupos. I'm not sure it makes a difference.

Sidi shoes rule. Get Sidi MTB shoes. Put Superfeet insoles in them.

Get SPD pedals. M520s are fine. If you get a hot spot, change over to A520s.

See, it's not difficult if you listen to the right people.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Shop for the shop first.
    Hey! That's my line.

It's the people that matter. When you find the right shop, you'll know it. Buy a brand that they carry and you'll never go wrong.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a good shop and then we can all argue about the good advice you get.

For $2K or significantly less, you can get a very nice bike. Choosing the right type of bike is probably more important than choosing the right brand. Make sure the salesperson understands what you plan to do with the bike, your history, your preferences, your flexibility etc.

Have fun!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Find a good shop and then we can all argue about the good advice you get.

For $2K or significantly less, you can get a very nice bike. Choosing the right type of bike is probably more important than choosing the right brand. Make sure the salesperson understands what you plan to do with the bike, your history, your preferences, your flexibility etc.

Have fun!
    What BluesDawg said slightly modified for emphasis.

Stay loose, don't rush, have fun and allow the best bike to choose you. "Best" in this context is the bike you will ride often enough that 18 miles will become just a short ride for you.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would concur with all of the above:

- "buy" the shop, not the bike. Then everything else will follow.

- equip the bike with SPD pedals, M520 or A520/530. They are the most versatile. Try out a number of shoes and just get the ones that are most comfortable. You can even get sandals that will fit the SPD cleats!

One more thing: in the long run, 40 years of experience has taught me that a steel frame with carbon forks is the way to go. But since you'd be foolish to take my word for it, get yourself an all-carbon bike just because that's what most other riders with limited experience are getting. It will make you feel better on the rides to have a bike that fits in. Then, when you have become as wise as the more experienced among us, with the concomitant ability to do whatever you want to do, damn the social pressure, then you can get your handmade steel frame that you'll keep and ride forever.

L.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to add my two cents. (I know, I know.)

I got into biking back in 2004 or 2005. Bought me a Trek 3900 mountain bike and rode the tar out of it - and almost never went off road.

About the same time, I discovered the 50+ Forum, and began to learn from the amazing collection of wise, mostly civil, often witty people who post here.

I resisted everything they told me, about things like getting a road bike (which I eventually did), going clipless (which I eventually did), wearing "proper" cycling gear (which I eventually did), and others.

My point is that I would hear all the advice, and think, "Well, all well intended, but not for me. These folks are too hard-core for me."

But it turns out, in almost every case, they were right to suggest what they suggested. So when people say, "Find the right LBS first," they're right. When they say that "Fit is critical," they're right. When they say, "Your first bike will teach you what you want in your second bike," they're right - even if you're thinking "Second bike??? I'll never want a second bike!"

I'm not sure how the OP is responding to all this advice, but take it from me - these folks know a LOT about cycling, and what they don't know can be put in a thimble. Trust them. Learn from them.

Good luck with your decision. We've all struggled with "What to buy!" and continue to enjoy the struggle, thanks to N+1.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

wreckrider
    My Bikes
    cannondale carbon synapse 5/ specialized secteur elite/moto cafe sprint/ jamis steel hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a lot of good advise from guys that have been there. for me finding the right bike comes first. afterwards u can patronize the best lbs u can find. having 2k to spend right off the bat is great because w a little luck, patience & advise from the bf u can get the perfect bike for ur needs for that price right away w/o spending alot of $ on bikes u won't use much later on. since u did ride for 5 yrs previously, r 54 & looking for another "street bike" i'm assuming u need a comfortable road bike that will last & be "rideable" for u as u get older. in my view this means a carbon bike from a good brand w at least mid level components & a relaxed geometry. i would check out Specialized; Cannondale; Giant; Cervelo, Colnago & Trek. if u look up the websites of ur local bike shops u'll find that some of them will carry a few of these brands together. that way u can test ride several brands at a time. components should be at least 105. as far as shoes go someday u may have to walk far after breaking down in the middle of a ride so i would get mountain shoes with recessed cleats. good luck & post again as soon as u do a few test rides.
    For those adventurers who "wish to wander into the history of their lives" Don Q-Cervantes
    cannondale carbon synapse 5* specialized secteur elite (alum) * Jamis Citizen (steel-hybrid)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going OT here but lhbernhardt above started it. I returned to riding as an adult 29 years ago. Except for a few "whippy" Vitus alu's (not too whippy for Sean Kelly), everyone rode steel-- our only choice. The same amazing feats of climbing impossible grades in impossible times and finishing centuries in remarkable times that local heroes do now were all accomplished then, too. But with 42/52 & 5 spd. freewheels. While I appreciate carbon's virtues, I can't help but reverence a good steel frame. Cycling is pragmatic science.....but for many it's also emotionally loaded art and "sentiment". Blame Bernhardt.
    Last edited by Velo Fellow; 02-05-12 at 02:14 PM.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your budget will get you a really nice bicycle. As said many times, find you a local shop you can trust and fit in with then look at buying a bicycle. I got a 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 4, Rival equipped, three weeks ago and it is my dream bicycle hands down. Out the door for 1700.00 and tax. I got to know the local C'Dale dealer and used them for service and parts for my 97 R500 until I was comfortable with them and how they operated. You will have to buy pedals regardless of brand unless the dealer gives you what you want. Very few bicycles come with pedals in this range and up.

Don't get in a hurry, take time to research and ride as many bicycles as you can that fit your needs. The LBS is the big part for me. I got lucky with Pensacola Cyclesports.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For two grand I'd buy two bikes. I'm too cheap to spend that much on one. And, everybody is right about finding the right bike shop first. I would buy some sort of road/hybrid bike and mountain bike. That gives you choices and the chance to see what you really like. However, YMMV.
    My name is a thread killing word.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
    Shop with an open mind. Shopping is a great opportunity to ride a great variety of bikes that you normaly might not try. I own several styles of both upright and recumbent bikes and I enjoy them all.

Quote Originally Posted by VELOGLOCK View Post
    Really ? , you can't possibly serious youngster , the man didn't mention any spine issues , I'm still re reading
    the OP and your post to make sure I read correctly.
    A common response that I encounter often. All styles of bikes are fun to ride. A worn out or injured body is not a prerequisite for riding any particular style of bike.

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Go to several bike shops (if possible) and look at the bikes. Test ride all that appeal to you. Then buy from the friendliest/most helpful/knowledgeable shop that has one of the bikes you like. Finding a good shop is just as important, if not more so, than finding the right bike. ...

As so many have already stated, find a good shop that you trust. They'll steer you to a great selection based on your taste and needs.

Good hunting!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odd that the OP hasn't come back. What's up with that?
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, a newbie and lots of good discussion and input for them to consider. Hope the show up some more and find a bicycle they like.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney