Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious what food you bring/eat on your rides?

Curious what food you bring/eat on your rides?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fig Newtons. Gel packs. Zingers. If on an organized ride I will grab a banana or apple or two at a rest stop to take with me.
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 02-05-12 at 10:58 PM.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know what your are looking for relative to distance, time, altitude gain or temperature, so FWIW, I generally bring 4-8 packets of Perpetum (4-8 bottles extra, depending on heat), 4-6 GU's, 4-5 Stingers and a couple of GU Chomps for a 5-6 hr ride. Distance is 50-60+ and 8-10K climbing. I eat a high protein breakfast before I leave. I am 66 and love to ride in the foothills.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Breakfast bars. Clif shot blocks. Pennut butter samich.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on length of ride, but here's the menu:

Lance Toast-Chee peanut butter and cheese crackers
    Clif Bar
    Salted cashews
    Dried apricots or dried pineapple
    Honey in 9-gram pouches (similar in size to ketchup packets at burger joints)
    Endurolyte capsules
    Gatorade powder for reloading bottle
    Beef jerky

Some combination of this stuff will work for me up for rides up to 100 miles.

Kip
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apples for short rides. Bananas and PBJs for a little longer ones. I also like to stop for lunch - soup, sandwiches, oh, and pie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short rides under 2 hours I don't eat, just drink water with and without nuun.

On longer rides, again it depends on the length as to what and how much. These are some of the items I use;
    - Larabar
    - Clif bar
    - Clif shot blocks
    - GU
    - Peanut butter and honey sandwich
    - Bannana
    - Fig newtons
    - Trail mix
    - Honey stinger waffles

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some combination of Cliff Bars, Power Bars, GU packs, a bottle of GU2O and one of water.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up to 35 miles, nothing. 35 to 55 miles, a Clif bar and a gel pack. 55-75 miles, a Clif bar, half a flask of gel, about half the recommended amount of Perpetuem for the time of the ride. 75-100+ miles, a flask of gel, 3/4 strength Perpetuem (3-4 refills in baggies), light snacking at rest stops (mostly PB&J).

Not written in stone. In different circumstances, I may take different approaches.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty close to BluesDawg's routine. It really depends on the ride distance. My daily rides are anywhere up to 30 miles and I don't have anything but water and a second bottle with ZipFizz (electrolytes) if it's in the summer and a granola almond bar in the middle of the ride. 30 to 50 miles, a GU Gel before the ride, one halfway into the ride and another at the end of the ride and a granola almond bar or two during the ride. I also have electrolytes and a third bottle with Pertetuem (still trying to find a flavor that I like). I also carry a frozen PBJ which I eat halfway through the ride. I usually get the Smuckers or the ones from Sam's Club which taste the same to me and are much cheaper for more sandwiches. On all my rides, I carry GU Chomps which I don't chew but I let dissolve while riding. I found that letting them dissolve does two things for me; 1) it helps keep me from breathing through my mouth and tiring out faster 2) it keeps my mouth moist and keeps me from having to sip water all the time. A chomp normally lasts me between 8 to 10 miles.

On anything longer than 50 miles, it is usually a charity ride that has SAG stations along the route and I stock up on what they have, especially bananas. I can't seem to find anyone that wants to ride more than 50 miles with me just for the heck of it. One day, I'll get around to doing a century by myself if I can find somewhere safe to ride. I can't imagine doing a century ride at a MUP.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On rides under two hours I don't bring any food, just water. For rides longer than that I'll take fig bars and/or vanilla crisp Power Bars. The number depends on the length of the ride. For an all day (5 to 7 hours) I'll take five or six fig bars and three Power Bars. I went with the Power Bars for two reasons. The first is that I can tolerate them without stomach distress. Second, I found a place where I can get them for $0.80 each.

My co-workers encouraged me to come clean completely. Sometimes I also take along a bit of beef jerky.
    Last edited by NOS88; 02-06-12 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Shamed into coming completely clean.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long rides only:
    1) homebrew mix of peanut M&Ms, dried apricots, dried bananas, raisins
    2) gel packs
    3) Hammer Endurolytes (hugely beneficial for muscle cramp prevention -for me, anyway)
    4) water, water, water.

But the greatest food relief experience I ever had was stopping late afternoon (super hot day) on a 100mi+ day and being given someone's extra orange. Memorable!
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

DEK
    My Bikes
    '11 Felt Z85, '72 Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually just some Clif Bars and Clif Blocks but don't necessarily eat them during the ride. All depends on the length of my ride. I just like to have something with in case I decide to ride further than I planned when I set out.

For drinks, I'll bring some electrolyte type liquid as I sweat - A LOT - and a 2nd bottle with water for longer rides.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Banana, dates, prunes, Shot blocks, Cliff bar.

I'll stop for water. I'll have coffee or tea if the ride is more than 3 hours during cool weather. I'll also stop for soup.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-06-12 at 08:49 AM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    Long rides only:
    But the greatest food relief experience I ever had was stopping late afternoon (super hot day) on a 100mi+ day and being given someone's extra orange. Memorable!
    Mine would be a tie between a can of V8 on an extremely hot day and a coke and a Snickers bar at a store stop near the end of one of my first century rides.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shot bloks for shorter rides, 30 - 62 miles. For rides 62 -100 miles, also a gel. For rides over a century, additional gels, shot bloks, and power or cliff bars.

I always carry a spare gel in my camelbak just in case.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Mine would be... a coke and a Snickers bar at a store stop near the end of one of my first century rides.
    This is what I'm talking about. A lot cheaper than all the synthetic stuff people are chowing down. Unfortunately American Coke made with fructose hurts my stomach. If you could only buy Mexican Coke (made with sucrose) at convenience stores. I get the good stuff at Krogers and it's $1.40 per ten ounce bottle

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scooby Snacks and Granola bars in the seat bag with the tube and patch kit.

If I'm going more than 60mi I'm stopping off for a meal.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the city, nothing. Instead I stop at a convenience store or fast food if needed. So far my recreational riding has been less then 20mi. The only thing I've needed to stop for is a cool drink in the warmer months. My problem is Dunkin Donuts is right on my way home. Hmmm, fresh donuts! I'm never going to lose that last 10 lbs.

My Bikes
    Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For rides more than 30 miles I bring a varying mix of Cliff Bars, dried dates, dried mango slices, dried papaya slices and chocolate covered espresso beans.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    I had one of those experiences once on an organized ride. Some folks who lived along the route set up an impromptu free watermelon stop in their front yard. It was the coldest, sweetest thing I ever put in my mouth.

As for the original question, nothing for rides under 30 miles or so. If longer, I'll try to route myself past some place for a quick breakfast, or I'll pack a PBJ and banana, with some Honey Stingers along for insurance. And plenty of water. Don't much go in for them fancy sports drinks.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Training rides up to 3 hours: water. Training rides over 3 hours: Peanut butter. Short races: light complex carb breakfast 90 minutes before or nothing (like oatmeal). Long races: same breakfast, and Hammer Gel or honey during the race.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the two bottles; Camelback Elixir and Hammer Fizz; my jersey two Gu gels and Almond Snickers/Payday/Baby Ruth (one of these) for up to four hour rides. For breakfast 1/2 muffin and a can of Pepsi (I don't do coffee).

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamburger for breakfast, Hi energy jelly beans during the ride, gatorade in the bottles.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamburger for breakfast? You mean like ground beef or a hamburger?
    I'm a breakfast 'purist'. Gotta be real breakfast food. Could never do a Coke for breakfast either. I think that is one nasty thing to do to yourself

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast