Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anyone have Sacro-Illiac joint pain?

my SI joint has been painful, off and on, for 6 years. when the doc took a picture of it, he said I have some bridging, meaning the joint is starting to grow together. I recently did a few easy runs, 'cause my SI felt pretty good. after two weeks and six runs of 3 miles, the pain was unbearable. today, even though it hurt, I hopped on my cross bike, and rode an hour and a half as hard as I could. when I got back, the pain had decreased substantially. something about that time out of the saddle that somehow re-align the SI joint, I suppose. does anyone else find that riding actually helps a bad SI joint?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure if I can reply here because I am only 49 1/2 ( I have had some hard miles!) but I find my SI is easier to "unlock" after a ride. My SI becomes immobile and causes my pelvis to shift, creating a visible imbalance in my hips and on my legs. The rotation and posture of riding helps loosen the joint enough so that hanging on my inversion table can expand and re-align the joint enough to reduce the pain and increase flexibility. For me, hanging, riding and stretching keep me out of the chiro's office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd think running is the last thing you'd want to do but that is just me.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I am a slow learner. My SI was feeling pretty good, so I thought I'd go for a little trot down the local trail. It actually felt good for a couple weeks of that, but then, bam! That cycle repeats itself about once a year. maybe this was the last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I am not sure if I can reply here because I am only 49 1/2 ( I have had some hard miles!) but I find my SI is easier to "unlock" after a ride. My SI becomes immobile and causes my pelvis to shift, creating a visible imbalance in my hips and on my legs. The rotation and posture of riding helps loosen the joint enough so that hanging on my inversion table can expand and re-align the joint enough to reduce the pain and increase flexibility. For me, hanging, riding and stretching keep me out of the chiro's office.
    we all took a vote, and decided that being 49 1/2 its ok if you post here!

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sacro would "go out" if using poor form in powerlifting/deadlifting when doing heavier weights (for me), waxing cars, and/or softball in the same weeks of summer. It's like writing checks and forgetting to deposit some recovery. Trying to catch it before it goes is the secret....knowing when to say "no".

Not an easy thing to do.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for letting me post. I have been following this forum and find that it more closely aligns with my way of thinking than some of the others.

The surest way for me to put my SI out of kilter is to twist while reaching. Trying to get something out of the car trunk or the back of the fridge will do it... even a bad sneeze can throw it out. Vacuuming can put me down for a week!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to tell my wife that vacuuming hurt my back too, but she didnt buy it!!