Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantasy no limits bike

Perhaps it's the brief snow storm last night, but today I find myself day dreaming about the perfect, cost is no issue, ideal, fantasy bike. The one bike I'd build, have, buy, if I could have it just the way I wanted it. Like many of us, I've made compromises based on current disposable income, parts availability, and other factors. So, what would you have built if you had a magic wand and could get ANYTHING you wanted?

Here's mine.
    I'd start with my current Indy Fab CJ TI. I love this frame. However, the parts would have to change. I'd want a full Campy Super Record group, a Precision Bold seat post and quick release levers, a Brooks Swallow saddle in dark brown, a Cinelli Ram 2 Bianca integrated stem and bars, and I'm still trying to work through the wheels/tires, pedals, and rear cog. (more to day dream about).

And now yours?

Edit: OK, I've made a decision about the wheels. I'd go with ENVE Composites 65 Clincher, Chris King Classic Road with Sapim CX Ray spokes.

I've also determined that I'd want the Speedplay Zero Titanium pedals.
    Last edited by NOS88; 02-10-12 at 01:04 PM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a frame I think is perfect for me in my Boreas Ignis and it may be ally- but rides well. Had to make couple of compromises on set up though due to my short thighs. Saddle as far forward as possible and Short reach bars. If I were to have money no object it would be the same frame but with a 74.5 degree seat post angle. Just as I have aquired in the Pinnarello UNO today. Top tube is just a fraction shorter than my usual 535mm and it seems to fit out of the box with no changes of anything. Groupset and I can't see me needing anything better than Ultegra but I suppose Dure Ace would work more efficiently.Components and they would be about as light as I can go without compromising strength but it is the wheels where I would get my dream machine working. Want them as light as possible and I want rigidity and still keep my teeth in place. Something like the handbuilts I already have but 300grammes lighter please. Dure Ace carbon perhaps.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    80's Colnago frame, or something equally beautiful. I've always loved the deep metallic red they used then.
    Honey or brown Brooks saddle, probably a Colt, Team Pro, or similar.
    Campy Chorus or Record parts. Perhaps not the current versions, as I prefer the polished metal look to all the CF parts.
    Don't know about the wheels, but I'm not a racer, so they would be high end clinchers.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you believe that I can't think of one?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guru Photon, Full SRAM Red, New Dura ACE CF wheels. Ergonova Carbon Bars, Selle SMP Evolution saddle. Zip 404 backup wheels. Speed play Ti pedals, Gravitas Brakes. Ceramic bearings. I think I need to go check my heart rate.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my youth was wishing for a bike you could ride in the mountains and on trails(and not break....or break you). I have that bike now and wish for nothing else. It's perfect.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No modest cop out here. With nothing restricting me, I would probably go to the next Hand Made Bicycle Show and meet the top builders to decide who I would commission to build my dream bike.

It would be a fast, comfortable, lightweight century bike, frame custom designed by a master to perfectly suit my dimensions, physical constraints, preferences and riding style. Not sure about the material. Might be CF or Ti or one the the new super-exotic steels. Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11s electronic components. Wheels would also be custom designed and built just for me.

This will never happen, but it sure would be nice.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ 64, it wouldn't be a race bike.. now, a commuter/tourist,
    I've come to like Rohloff's hubs. one on 2 different bikes

in the early 60's, back as a kid, I built up a hybrid drive 27 speed 3x3x3 .
    I used it to get out of town, alone, to the only place to swim without chlorine ..
    there was a life guard, or at least more than just me , there ..

Fantasy would be having the shop to build my own.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 02-09-12 at 12:47 PM.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Volagi, frame but with super custom gearing, perhaps hand made by super-light elves. I want a compact, but with something like 47-30 or even 46-28 (I haven't done the math yet) or something similiarly low, but with small steps between gears. Because I have a triple with a top end of combo of 52-11, which I don't even need going downhill.

I love the comfortable idea, and disc brakes seem extra cool.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    Volagi, frame but with super custom gearing, perhaps hand made by super-light elves. I want a compact, but with something like 47-30 or even 46-28 (I haven't done the math yet) or something similiarly low, but with small steps between gears. Because I have a triple with a top end of combo of 52-11, which I don't even need going downhill.

I love the comfortable idea, and disc brakes seem extra cool.
    Hold out a little longer and you can get that with hydraulic discs. SRAM says they will be releasing new versions of Red this summer with
    your choice of hydralic discs or hydraulic calipers. Shimano is sure to follow suit before long.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get a custom carbon Ruegamer Uberlight frame. Unfortunately the woman who made them has quit doing frames and in any case the special tubing she was using ran out.
    On it I'd have a custom selection of nice light but reliable parts, and a set of Lightweight carbon wheels for races.

Failing that, a Cervelo R3SL with a custom selection of nice reliable parts and some handbuilt carbon wheels. That one I've already got.

My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A custom built velomobile trike with electric assist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking of taking my Tarmac SL4 and taking off the DA DI2 for the new SRAM Red. I would then replace the DA 7850 cl24 wheels with Zipp 303 tubulars and get new Keo blade pedals. That would drop almost 2lbs on the bike and it would weigh out at 13.8#. Or, I might just ride it portly as it is.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a cop out: I'm perfectly happy with the two bikes I have, given their two respective locations/uses. Doesn't mean I don't toy with the idea of something different from time to time (e.g. a carbon road bike).

However, I do have a 'dream bike'; by that I mean that I have a 'dream expedition'. Given time, money, and health enough (very unlikely that all three will conincide, but one never knows), I'd acquire this (same colour, but the lighter 'X' version frame) ...

DSCF1035.jpg

... Thorn Nomad II (X-frame), load it up and ride either across Canada West to East or (with a sus. fork) in/around Argentina (inc. Patagonia).

None of the above is very likely, all things considered, but it's nice to dream ...

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to try the titanium version of my RANS V-Rex.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd buy a dozen frames (serrota and lightspeed and indy fab and waterford and ...ohmygod custom builds) and loads of chris king hubs and headsets and ultegra and dura ace drive train stuff and set about figuring out just which combo actually becomes my perfect ideal bike.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something Italian with Super Record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My perfect bike would have a motor about 25 pounds lighter, and 25% stronger. Once I got that, I'd start to worry about the rest of it.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Peter Mooney frame. Reynolds 853. Deep Blue, with white accents. Chrome lugs.
    A fixie? Not sure at this time, would have to give it some thought. Assuming for a moment it's multi-gear, it would be 70s style, half-step gearing, with down tube shifters.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off the rack, no expense spared:
    poshbikes.com

Best custom:
    http://elliscycles.com/

And my favorite - custom Keirin combined with old school Campy:
    http://www.kalavinka-bikes.com/ (But you probably need to fly to Japan, be able to speak Japanese, and beg. A lot.)
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was truly unlimited I would first; due to my lack of experience and expertise in cycling, have to hire a consultant
    to help me figure out exactly what would be the most over-the-top bike for me. I like Bluesdawg's angle. If I win the lottery I may have to look you up for some help Bluesdawg!
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon (Vintage); Merckx MX Leader (Campy 10); Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB), Alex Singer (allrounder)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A "fantasy no limits" bike for me? Moulton stainless steel space frame:

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    I want a compact, but with something like 47-30 or even 46-28 (I haven't done the math yet) or something similiarly low, but with small steps between gears. Because I have a triple with a top end of combo of 52-11, which I don't even need going downhill.
    Actually, I'd consider compact doubles if they came in a 42 or 44 and 30 or 28. That with an 11-speed 12-27 is about all I'd ever need.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for? For now I think I already have my fantasy bike. Nothing left to grasp. (For now.)
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also perfectly happy with my current bikes - they're more than I could ever want or need.

But since you asked...1982 Fuji Professional Super Record - stock would be perfectly fine with me.

I also kind of like the Masi bike that the main character rode in the movie Breaking Away. I'm a man of simple tastes. PG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast