Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pedaling & PSA (guys)

I've been on a six month rotation with Urologist visits since my Colonoscopy examiner noticed a lump on my prostate a year ago. My PSA counts had been as high as 4.9 in the past couple of years and was hovering in the 3.9 to 4.1 range last winter and summer. Biopsy results were negetive for any cancer. The lump is still present and unchanged.

I tried a little experiment to discover if my body truely is prone to produce more PSA with increased saddle time. I last rode on the 25th of November and have purposely stayed off my bikes since then. My prostate has been getting ample rest time. My Urologist visit yesterday revealed a PSA count of 3.4, the lowest it's been in a few years.

Now I'm back in the saddle....puff....puff....puff...groan. The plan is to log plenty of saddle time until just one week prior to more blood work near the end of March for my annual physical. My doctors both feel that a week off the bikes should negate any noticable PSA increase in the blood work. We'll see.

P.S. oh yes, by the way, my Urologist has moved me to once a year visits!

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Wonder, Too

Lenny,
    I'm glad to hear that your PSA has stabilized. Isn't the rate of change for PSA readings just as important an indicator as the number itself? Looks like yours is at a plateau...

I've often wondered about saddle time and urinary health. Even with no discomfort, numbing symptoms while riding, I wonder if the cumulative effects don't change us in some way.

Take care,
    Phil G.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PSA level, by itself, is not an indicator of prostate cancer. What you should be looking at is the PSA Velocity; the time it takes for the PSA level to rise from one level to another. And that should only tell you if a biopsy should be considered. PSA seems to be a very hot and controversial topic right now and having been in the medical field for 21 years and a prostate cancer survivor, I keep up with the literature as much as possible.

As for PSA levels rising with increased saddle time, I don't think that there is a correlation, in general, between the two unless there are other prostate related issues. My PSA went from a 2.4 to a 4.1 in one year and to a 6.4 four months later. I had advanced, aggressive prostate cancer that was treated with radiation and hormone therapy. Since my prostate was not removed, I am still producing PSA. My treatments ended a year ago and I ride up to 30 miles every day, weather permitting, for the past year. My last visit with my oncologist was last month and my PSA was 0.01. It has fluctuated 0.01 for the last two years. BTW, I have not been diagnosed with or noticed any types of urinary track problems since I started riding, two years ago.

And Lenny, keep us informed. I am curious to hear about your outcome.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure exactly the cause of the correlation, but for me at least, there is one.

I get a high PSA number if I have my blood test done right after a long/difficult ride (had to have a biopsy - NOT FUN) but a relatively low PSA if I'm well rested before I have my blood taken (doctor said it was a very "safe" number).

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    (had to have a biopsy - NOT FUN)

Rick / OCRR
    I haven't been the same down there since having the stupid biopsy.....

dbg
    My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    I'm not sure exactly the cause of the correlation, but for me at least, there is one.

I get a high PSA number if I have my blood test done right after a long/difficult ride (had to have a biopsy - NOT FUN) but a relatively low PSA if I'm well rested before I have my blood taken (doctor said it was a very "safe" number).

Rick / OCRR
    +1. My last checkup showed me at 6.2. Rather than going straight to biopsy (don't want one), my doctor sent me for another test after two weeks of no riding. PSA back down to 2. No lumps detectable. (My doctor has this routine where he SNAPS off the glove and declares, "You have the prostate of an 18yr old!")
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Rick and David,

Interesting! I'm wondering if there is an underlying cause for the elevated PSA after riding. Are these tests being done by your primary care physician or a urologist? I will ask my oncologist, who is also an avid cyclist, next time I see him at the MUP and see what he thinks as you now have my curiosity up.

I have to agree about the biopsy tests. They are NOT FUN, but I'm glad I had it done as it saved my butt. I wasn't riding or doing any type of exercise when I was diagnosed with the prostate cancer so the PSA Velocity was a big red flag. As aggressive as the cancer was, I don't think I would be here typing this message had I not had the biopsy test done.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying a seat which is open in the center to relieve pressure in that delicate area may be very helpful?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't tell you if cycling or exercise will elevate the PSA count as I no longer have a Prostate.RP in 2001 cured that and I stall have the PSA test and the last count was a bit fat "0". Talked to the surgeon and the vital question came up of "Does Cycling affect the Prostate" He said that he doubted it as if it did- he would be treating every member of the local cycling club that was over 50. I was the first serious cyclist that he had on his books. Several casual cyclists and several athletic types but most were just normal people living normal lifestyles.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biopsies are not too bad. Just think of a combination pop rivet ***/wire brush, on the end of a Black & Decker vibrator.....with a kick starter.