User Tag List

My Bikes
    3 rideable, 6 in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knee injuries - how long to recover fully

I had a tumble on my mountain bike just before Christmas and tore the posterior and median ligaments in my left knee. I'm doing exercises as recommended by the physio, but still have some pain and have been told to keep off the bike (but a turbo trainer will be fine).

I'm 64 and have never had this sort of injury before, and I'm not a very patient patient.

So how long does it take to fully recover from ligament tears - presumably longer as one gets older?

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way to tell..would depend on the extent of the damaged area.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about 45 years--- Had a knee problem since my youth and it does affect me greatly. Cycling is about the only physical activity I can do so you can draw on that when the knee allows you to get back in the saddle. As we age-Recovery takes longer for some reason- so gentle exercise on the knee but don't forget the rest of the body. You have to keep that in trim so now is the time to build up upper body strength and keep the Cardio Vascular side trained aswell.

If the Turbo is not causing a problem- then keep at it untill you get the OK from the doctor-Or your own body.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    3 rideable, 6 in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The scan showed both ligaments were grade 3 tears.
    Last edited by Gerryattrick; 10-31-12 at 03:03 PM.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to medical literature, recovery from ligament tears takes a minimum of 3 months no matter what. Strictly following your prescribed physical therapy for this injury is your friend.

My Bikes
    Seven Axiom Ti, Trek 620, Klein Aura x, Masi cylocross (steel). Masi Souleville 8spd, Fat Chance Mtn (steel), Electra Amsterdam (Steel), Bianchi (Japanese) set up as "fixie", Scwinn Triple Bar cruiser,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    talk to a bone doc asap or they may never heal correctly like mine
    Last edited by pat5319; 02-11-12 at 10:42 PM. Reason: sp
    Pat5319

My Bikes
    Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't want you out cycling on the road or trail because of the risk of another incident before the knee has recovered. Riding an exercise bike however will probably be an integral part of your recovery. In my case I had an anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Physio had me on an exercise bike after 2 weeks for 5 minutes a day initially. After 4 months I was riding on the street again.

My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - none of us are a DR, much less an Ortho. My first knee injury turned into a 30 year long, nine knee surgery, then total knee with rescission. For me, it was due primarily to not following the instructions of my Doctor. The 'simple' answer to your question is, 'as long as it takes.' - not being a smart ass here, but everyone heals at a different rate, and tears (as you learned) have different 'grades', but within those grades also comes the unknown of 'stretch', and this is what can cause permanent damage.

Personally, if you have not done so already, I would also see an ORTHO, and I assume an MRI has been done? If not, why not?

Using myself, and my history as a guide, a tear (if not redamaged) will take 3-14 months easy to recover from. And, by doing more than is suggested by your doctor, the risk of re-damaging, or stretching is great. Time, and care, and more time is what is needed.
    Peter_C
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/ <-- My Photos

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said, please see an orthopedist soon. And let the healing take the time it takes. The PT will help you heal correctly after the doctor does what is necessary. Rushing this type if injury will make things much worse for you in the long run. Just my 2 cents worth. YMMV

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    3 rideable, 6 in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. I've had scans etc and there's no need for any form of surgery so I guess I've just got to be patient and listen to the physios/doctors.

I'm not going to listen to my father's advice however, which is that at my age I shouldn't be riding a bike at all.