Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look At What Followed Me Home

Story to follow when I'm on the PC and not the phone. Just a quick phone cam picture.

fasthair

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you just hate it when that happens? Now you have to give it a home and take care of it for a very long time.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A conscientious person would return it to its rightful owner. Coincidentally, I lost one that was identical.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice.
    Will your wife let you keep it?
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John V: i promise to give it caring loving home. It was just so cute how could i just turn my back on it when it's so cold outside?

Velo Fellow: I checked all the local lost and found listings in the area but didn't see any for this. Can you tell me what area you lost yours and any identifying markings? I would be happy to return if i could find its owner!

RonH: Since I'm single i can bring all the strays home i want. I must say though the GF likes it too so maybe there is hope for me yet!

fasthair
    Last edited by fasthair; 02-11-12 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the bike her size and if so did you tell her it's a "no sharesy" sitituation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fasthair View Post
    Velo Fellow: I checked all the local lost and found listings in the area but didn't see any for this. Can you tell me what area you lost yours and any identifying markings? I would be happy to return if i could find its owner!
    An honest man is rare to find...should have know they'd be hanging out here at 50Plus. Go ahead, keep it.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you hadn't fed it it wouldn't have followed you.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overthehillmedi: thankfully no! I'm tall and she's short so no chance of waking up to find she took it home to take care of!

Velo Fellow: thanks! Talk about an honest person. You sir are a kind one yourself for letting me keep it

sknhgy: i swear all i did was pet it and it followed me home. I swear promise.
    Last edited by fasthair; 02-11-12 at 07:36 PM.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2009 Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cool looking bike. Are there any bike rescue centres in your area?

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks cool, how about some details. Good luck with it.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is her name?
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is it about some people in that they are too soft hearted for their own good. Hope you realise what you have let yourself in for-That New addition is going to need some cosseting before it settles in properly. It will have to live in the lounge for a few days while you look at it- adjust it and polish it it to get it used to you. Just don't allow it in the bed- although I dare say it could be allowed to stay in the room for the first night to save you having to go into the kitchen at 3am just to see if it is all right.

Then exercise- These new additions need exercise and I know that breed- they love MUD. Allow it to slosh about in it but make certain you have plenty of detergent available- the special Organic stuff- and warm water to get it clean- and plenty of towelling to dry it off.

Nice to see a kind hearted soul still around but remember that a New animal like this is not just for christmas- it is for life. When you have got it settled in- post pics on the

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...he-N-1-of-2012

Just so we can see it in its full glory.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be forewarned..... lots of pain and suffering lies ahead if you keep it. It sure looks pretty, just hope you know what you're getting yourself into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, at your age I'm not sure if you've made a wise choice.

More often than not these frisky things want to go much faster than you can and you have to keep them on a tight leash. This can be exhausting and at times you also wonder who's in charge.

Can I recommend anyone else thinking of doing something like this to consider a pre-owned version - they need a loving home too, you know. Just saying . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    indycar: None that I know of. We do have a bike coop in town but I'm pretty sure it didn't wander off from there.

roccobike: Thanks. I'll get to the detail post shortly.

teachme: Funny I've never named my bikes. I simply call them the road bike, the blue bike, the mountain bike ect. But I can see I'm going to have to come up with something because I can't simply call it the black bike since the road bike is black and my old school Cannondale Mountain bike is black too. Yes I like black. My car is black, my Harley is black too.

stapfam: I know I'm too soft for my own good. We are getting to know each other nicely. Like all my strays it gets to stay in the house in the kitchen so it doesn't make a mess on the carpet. Since this breed does like the mud that's probably a good place for it. Only problem right now is there is no mud, just frozen snow. I'll post up some photos of it out in its elements in your thread.

GFish: Thanks. I think I know what's in store for me. I'm looking forward to being a little boy again and playing in the dirt and mud.

AmFeaEmbra: Oh I'm sure this bike is much more capable than I am at this point since I have only rode in the dirt once last year since I was a kid. But that was all it took and I've been looking at a new MTB since then. I do have an old Cannondale MTB but wanted a modern 29er. I did look at used but nothing around was worth what they were asking. I got a very good deal on this and was much more than I had in my mind.

Well time to go play. Wonder how much snow is on the trails around here?

fasthair

My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad 10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just kick your wife out of bed and let it sleep in her spot. It will settle in pretty quick, though it may insist of staying in the bed permanently!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On The Trails

Managed to get out today and play in the mud and dirt. This was early in the ride so the bike wasn't too muddy at this point. It did get real muddy by the end of the ride and it looked pretty cool all grubbed up.

For the most part it worked well but some changes are in order. First those small block tires might work well on hard packed dirt but they suck in the mud. The handlebar is too wide too so that needs cut down a little bit, maybe an inch or so. I've got to get the front end dialed in too.

Over all it worked very well and was easy to ride. I'm kind of amazed at how much of a difference the 29 is over my 26. It sure rolls over rocks and logs much easier and rides so much smoother too.

fasthair

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet bicycle you got there fasthair. What type of pie followed the christening ride?

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fasthair View Post
    Managed to get out today and play in the mud and dirt. This was early in the ride so the bike wasn't too muddy at this point. It did get real muddy by the end of the ride and it looked pretty cool all grubbed up.

For the most part it worked well but some changes are in order. First those small block tires might work well on hard packed dirt but they suck in the mud. The handlebar is too wide too so that needs cut down a little bit, maybe an inch or so. I've got to get the front end dialed in too.

Over all it worked very well and was easy to ride. I'm kind of amazed at how much of a difference the 29 is over my 26. It sure rolls over rocks and logs much easier and rides so much smoother too.

fasthair
    Couple of points as we ride in mud over here- and snow and loose scree. Many years ago I went to a wide bar-28" riser bars and the bike was very twitchy. Took some getting used to but I persevered and aclimatised. About a year later and I took the Kona out with 24" bars and I could not get the steering to work. Wide bars work for me.

Tyres and I use a Panaracer "Mud Pro" tyre. 1.8 wide and long thick blocks with plenty of space between. I can post pics but that will have to be later but these tyres do not collect mud and the narrower width allows mud to falloff before it starts collecting on the frame. The narrow width also bites through the gloopy mud to the firm surface below it and I get grip where others cannot get down to the firm surface with their 2.1 tyres.

But Summer is coming--You will probably find those Kenda tyres work well on hard pack and Asphalt. Do,t get rid of them yet.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this keeps up we're gonna need a 50+ 29er forum Or would that be a 79er forum

Nice bike. Nothing like a Cannondale mtn bike. They just know what's right.
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 02-13-12 at 11:31 AM.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter01: I'm single so there is no one to kick out of bed. But the GF thought is was a pretty cool bike so I might keep her around a bit longer.

qcpmsame: Um.. pie? I did enjoy a cold beer while I cleaned it up. Does that count?

stapfam: Thanks for the advice. I was a bit concerned about cutting the bars down for just the reasons you stated. You can only cut them too short once My 26" MTB has 26" bars and these are 28" and just seem so wide. Add the road bike to the mix and I just feel like a great big wide sail. I'm going to give it time and see how it goes.

I'm sure the tires will work well on hard pack as you say. Again I'm just going to take it slow before I go changing a bunch of stuff and just get use to this completely different animal.

bigbadwulf: Thank you for the compliment. I've got an 2000 F700 Cannondale MTB BBQ in color with the Head Shok (that still works) that I enjoy a great deal. Since I traded in my winter bike on this deal (a low end Scott) I just swapped the studs and fenders over to it and will use it in the snow now.

fasthair
    Last edited by fasthair; 02-19-12 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't do anything to the bars(cut them) until you get a few rides in. I went from an F-700 26" also to the Caffeine 29er. I thought the bars were waaaay too wide. After a few rides it is not a thought. Actually I am much more comfortable with them.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    What is her name?
    I think I can up with the solution.

1: The road bike

2: The blue bike

3: The big MTB

4: The little MTB aka the studded winter bike

Yeah that'll work.

fasthair

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Don't do anything to the bars(cut them) until you get a few rides in. I went from an F-700 26" also to the Caffeine 29er. I thought the bars were waaaay too wide. After a few rides it is not a thought. Actually I am much more comfortable with them.
    I've got right at 50 miles on it now and I must say I'm getting use to the wide bars. They sure make turning the large front wheel easy. Even went looking for some MTB shorts so I don't look like a lost roadie in the woods. This thing is just a blast ride and I couldn't be happier with it! I can see a lot of fun coming this summer.

It will probably feel weird when I hop back on the road bike

fasthair