Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: Aborted trip to Florida for a cruise

Shortly after arriving in Fort Lauderdale, FL, Nora got quite ill, necessitating our canceling the cruise and coming back to Denver on Friday. We telephoned her MD, and he prescribed an antibiotic which we picked up from a pharmacy in FL.

She is feeling a bit better now, but is still weak. We have trip insurance, which, hopefully, will at least cover the cost of the canceled cruise.

With so many ships coming back to port early with high incidences of Norovirus, it is probably just as well.

So, we are planning some fun days in lieu of the cruise, and, also, I am finalizing 2 colorado legislative projects:

1. The agenda for an invited one-on-one meeting with Reggie Bicha, Colorado Director of Human Serices and Sue Birch, Colorado Medicai Director, regarding my viewpoints on some extremely important proposed legislation that would revamp Medicaid disability procedures here in CO.

2. Several future articles planned for my weekly series directed at our 100 legislators, which seems to be getting a lot of attention from the legislators and others. Truly, it is enjyable at time to point out that "The Emperor Has No Clothes" - at least when that is the case!!

I am trememdously pleased with the responses from the legislators to our articles and especially our legislative Valentine's Day cards and announcements.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-12-12 at 01:17 PM.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear the trip got cancelled, Denver. Hope Nora is feeling better soon! Good luck with Plan B!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best to Nora

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that. Did you get the insurance?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope Nora is feeling better. I think it was wise to cancel the trip since there has been so much illness on board ships recently.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry!

It sucks to get sick. It sucks even worse to get sick during vacation time.

Get well soon Nora.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to read of y'alls misfortune. Hope Nora feels better quickly.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an interesting story that is OT the OT. Norovirus used to be called the Norwalk virus. It was called the Norwalk virus after the town of Norwalk, Ohio, where it was first isolated in the 1960s. Sometime in the 60s there was an outbreak of nausea and vomiting at a small country elementary school outside of town. Norwalk is in a small, rural county, with only a few doctors, my father being one of them. He was heavily involved in helping treat all the sick kids. A few years ago, when there were a lot of cruise ships getting hit with Norwalk virus outbreaks, a TV station in Cleveland did a story about the original outbreak, and in looking for veterans of the original outbreak they got a hold of my father. He was on TV saying that the town of Norwalk was famous for nausea and vomiting - a sentiment that did not go over well in that town. Some folks can't take a joke.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dnvr,

Hope everything is fine with your wife. At least you got to come down to Florida and get a taste of our great winter weather, even if it did turn a bit chilly this weekend.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got back from a 10 day cruise to the Panama Canal and other ports of call. I worry a lot about these things but people did seem to be extremely careful about using the hand cleansers and covering coughs. In fact, I think I only ran in to one person on the ship in 10 days that i would classify as being "sick" with some sort of cough.

I've been home since Tuesday and amazingly, after 10 days on the ship and four different planes, I still have no signs of illness or a cold.
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe next time? Hope Nora feels fully recovered soon.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that. Best to Nora. In my other life (not bike) as dog trainer one of my students is also a grad student at the university where I am gainfully employed. We got to talking last week in class. She is doing her masters thesis on Norovirus. Careful out there.
    Georgia state law stating that bicyclists “May Use Full Lane” when lane widths are not wide enough for motorists to safely pass cyclists and stay completely within the travel lane. (now all I have to do is convince GA drivers to read the law).

Cannondale Synapse 6.