Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

35 degrees. Nice ride.

Nice thing about a mountain bike. 35 degrees(2C)= nice riding weather. Rode 7 miles of trail yesterday and being cold was a fleeting thought after 1/2 mile. You quickly learn how to dress for it. If you feel a bit cold at the start of the ride, you are properly attired . Hoping this makes for an easy transition to spring road riding.
    I'm not one to ride indoors. I just can't bring myself to it. I ride to get outdoors. I know in some places and situations that is all that is possible and I'm not knocking it. Just saying it's not for me.
    Supposed to snow here today. Hoping it makes for fun riding after work
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 02-14-12 at 01:31 PM.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is snowing in Little Rock, and I am sure, coming your way. Actually snowing at a good clip right now.

I rode yesterday on the road at 38 degrees. Only got in 20 miles, but did have a great coffee/cookie stop.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah! Thanks for the heads up. Already 34 here now. May be rain when it gets here. Got a kid in school up in Searcy. You fly fish by any chance?
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 02-13-12 at 09:35 AM.

2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear ya! Nothing like conquering the elements! Very rewarding! I did a 15 mile road ride on my hybrid this past Saturday morning in 23 F, w/ 15-25 mph winds all day. I wish that we could convince more people how easy it is riding in cold temps. It's all about dressing properly. I will say though, no riding for me in snow or ice

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And over in Canada, 35 degrees really is good riding weather. 35 deg Celsius = 95 deg F.

Man, when is the US ever going to come to its senses & join the rest of the world that operates on metric? You even hear Phil & Paul tell you the day's temperature in the Tour in celsius, for criying out loud! In Celsius, 0 is the freezing point of water and 100 is its boiling point. A liter of water also weighs one kilogram. There's a relationship among things, in additon to the easier base 10 math! In the Fahrenheit scale, 0 is the freezing point of a frigorific mixture of brine, and 100 was the temperature of Mrs. Fahrenheit's armpit, later adjusted so that water could be recorded as boiling at 212 deg F. Wow, you base a system on that?

Seriously, though, I think Celsius works better at cold temps. You KNOW when you need to be careful on icy streets when the temps hover around zero. But Fahrenheit is nice in hot weather. You know that you need to drink lots of fluids when it gets around 100. It's more impressive to say you rode in 110 degrees in Death Valley, rather than 43.3 degrees...

But except for the small matter of buying meat (we use "per 100 grams" but we still see "per pound" in places!), I'm sold on metric!

Luis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperature is one thing that may never change here. It's very hard to switch the idea of temperature from people's perception of what the numbers mean. But I do metric in road bike sizes and skis. I couldn't tell you what my ski length is in inches, nor my bike size. But I do bike weight in lbs. Kind of a mix of units now.
    And don't blame us, blame those crazy English people
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 02-14-12 at 02:29 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last Saturday and I had to go out. -7 C for the ride and I did keep the speed down to ease the wind chill. 4 layer day with thermal Base layer- a long sleeve and then a long sleeve warm jacket made with roubaix material. Then over the top was a total windproof that also did not breath well but it did keep the cold air out. 2 mile slight uphill and I was warm enough to continue on for another 20 miles.

Keeping the torso warm is just a matter of layering up with "Just" enough layers to stay warm. You can always take layers off but if you need that extra warm coat and haven't got it- there could be a problem. However The extremities are where special attention has to be made. Toes- Fingers and ears. That is where good quality winter specific clothing will pay in the end.

Metric measurements originate from France so the brits are not all to blame We went metric a good few years ago but it did not take long for me to adjust. But I was not 65 then. And in some ways metrication can be easier. You will not remember but currency used to be Pounds- Shillings and pence. 12 pence to a shilling and 20 shillings to a pound. And I can still remember when a Gramophone record used to be 3/4d (3 shillings and 4 pence in old money) Work that out as a %age of a pound and it was 1/6th. And then pay for it it thruppenny bits- half crowns and a bit of copper. Some metrication does make things easier.

And forgot to mention that last Saturday I had on Leggings and a ski mask. Only part of me that did get cold eventually was the fingertips on my right hand.
    Last edited by stapfam; 02-14-12 at 02:56 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~40 F here today. Great day for a ride...
    IMO, FWIW, CFM, YMMV, E PLURIBUS UNUM

My Bikes
    2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just so happy to have my calculator and conversion card at my side when I'm on this forum, so I can know that -7 is 19.4 F. Otherwise, -7 C had me lost in space Yeah, -7 C is a pretty chilly ride, but still fun! That's a balaclava, booties, mittens, and 5 torso layers ride for me.
    Last edited by WC89; 02-15-12 at 06:05 AM. Reason: add more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, good old HP-48G is on my desk as is a Machinery's Handbook with its conversion charts for the metric figures I cannot do in my steel trap mind, nothing gets in or out. After college engineering physics and chemistry the metric is pretty well drummed into my head.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    And over in Canada, 35 degrees really is good riding weather. 35 deg Celsius = 95 deg F.

Man, when is the US ever going to come to its senses & join the rest of the world that operates on metric? You even hear Phil & Paul tell you the day's temperature in the Tour in celsius, for criying out loud! In Celsius, 0 is the freezing point of water and 100 is its boiling point. A liter of water also weighs one kilogram. There's a relationship among things, in additon to the easier base 10 math! In the Fahrenheit scale, 0 is the freezing point of a frigorific mixture of brine, and 100 was the temperature of Mrs. Fahrenheit's armpit, later adjusted so that water could be recorded as boiling at 212 deg F. Wow, you base a system on that?

Seriously, though, I think Celsius works better at cold temps. You KNOW when you need to be careful on icy streets when the temps hover around zero. But Fahrenheit is nice in hot weather. You know that you need to drink lots of fluids when it gets around 100. It's more impressive to say you rode in 110 degrees in Death Valley, rather than 43.3 degrees...

But except for the small matter of buying meat (we use "per 100 grams" but we still see "per pound" in places!), I'm sold on metric!

Luis
    The US has joinded to a degree(pun intended). ICAO has long used Celsius as the standard in aviation reprting. The US reluctantly joined about 10 years ago and now reports a temperature that is useable to pilots from all over the world. Standardization is a good thing. That said, there are countries that report barometric pressure in millibars rather than inches of mercury and atitudes in meters rather than feet. We still have a long way to go in aviation..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google: Celsius or Fahrenheit and a conversion link will automatically appear . Don't even have to use the word conversion...

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find Fahrenheit more precise than Celsius.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are more gradations, that is for sure. It is spread(freezing to boiling of water) over 180 degrees, not 100. Being around it all my life I have come to like the idea of another "threshold" of cold. That being 0 degrees(-18 C). Anything in negative numbers is where it is officially "cold as %&^%#".

Never thought about the 180 degrees before. Kind of has a basis in..............something

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Celsius, or Centigrade, can be read in tenths fairly easily on a analog thermometer, which is more precise, than Fahrenheit. Also, °C is the standard in the sciences, even computer science(measuring system temperatures) in the USA and the World. There was a push at one point to convert to metric in the USA, but there was too much resistance. I don't find metric difficult at all and I was raised in the USA...of course, I had a lot of science coarse work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone is doubting the basis and ease of the metric system. I use all metric tools even on my "standard" nuts and bolts(when I can). Sometimes you just have to use a standard wrench. Knowing 10mm is less than 11 and more than 9 is a lot easier than knowing what 3/8, 5/32, and 7/16 are in comparison to one another . I have an extensive science background and know the metric system well. But temperature is something I know in another system and so do all people here. Just saying it would be tough to switch. Not saying which is better or worse. I think the basis of the metric system is something we can agree on is better. It has a relation to something. And being used in multiples of 10 makes it easy.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And....back on topic - low 40's today, overcast and no wind. 'Bout "as good as it gets"
    IMO, FWIW, CFM, YMMV, E PLURIBUS UNUM

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not many cyclists about over here in the sub Freezing weather for the last week. Last Saturday I only saw one other Idiot when out on my ride. However a thaw set in today and the backroads have been crawling with Bikes. Seems that the slightest bit of sun on NON iced roads and the cyclists crawl out of the woodwork. Temp actually got up to +10c by mid afternoon.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a small, rural, hilly town. I ride at night after work and supper. Ten miles is average. I prefer to ride my Rockhopper, even though it's mainly roads. The mtb works good on the hills.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't ride unless it is at least 270, and I much prefer it to be over 280. Being a chemist, that's in Kelvin, of course. Why in the world would anyone use any other scale?

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    I don't ride unless it is at least 270, and I much prefer it to be over 280. Being a chemist, that's in Kelvin, of course. Why in the world would anyone use any other scale?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but these mornings when the bathroom floor is approaching absolute 0 K are rough to get going for a ride.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13