Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unusual "bike" ID please

We rode in the Tour de Palm Springs last weekend. Hubby completed his first century (in high winds!), I rode the 25-mile route.

Anyway my comrades and I arrived at the starting line a little late and ended up starting with the 10-mile group. Starting out, there was every manner of bike, trike, and rider. And then there were several people "riding" an upright thingamajig on which the rider stands and propels the "bike" in back-and-forth motions with the arms, causing it to serpentine about 4 feet to the side in each direction. I was concentrating on just staying upright -- in the wind, clipped in, surrounded by very slow riders -- and hoping and praying one wouldn't hit me and knock me over. One of my group heard a cyclist go down and thinks he was hit by one of these "bikes".

They presented an unnecessary hazard and I'd like to contact the organizers about my concern. Can anyone identify it so I can call it by name?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, someone "thinks" someone was hit?
    IF someone actually did go down in front of a bike, they wouldn't have been hit because??

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He heard it happen behind him, and believes that rider was hit by one of these things going to and fro.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it one of these....?

http://www.trikke.com/

...ridden like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnk_SvhoUk4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    One of my group heard a cyclist go down and thinks he was hit by one of these "bikes".
    You should get better evidence. It sounds like a prejudiced judgement from here. But I can see how one of those is not really suitable for use in large groups.

I think that cranky old dude probably identified it right as trikke.

"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not legal for mass start races if it has Spinacci Bars

DEK
    My Bikes
    '11 Felt Z85, '72 Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate having to pass someone on those things. One the MUT they end up taking most, if not all, the trail with the stupid swaying motion. And don't even get me started on seeing them trying to go up a hill.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the feeling. On a ride with DEK, a while back, there were several of these things (6 or 8) on a MUP that we were riding at. There is an overpass on this MUP that goes over a major road below (I think 6 lanes and a median) that we had to climb and they were also trying to climb it at the same time. I think DEK was able to get in front of them but as I tried to make the climb and pass them, there were two of these that were swinging way out into the oncoming lane of the trail. I kept yelling "On your left" but that did nothing. I couldn't slow down at that point so I continued to climb and go around one of the two going into the other lane. Just as he swayed to the right, I started to pass him, but he cut it back to the left, again into the oncoming lane, and damn near ran me into the fence. I think if they are going to ride one of these things, they should at least be proficient enough with them so that they can stay in one lane to propel themselves.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Cranky, that's it. There were several of them riding to the left of the cyclists but swaying way over toward them. It posed an unnecessary risk and I feel they don't belong in a crowd of cyclists.

I'm not going to make any false accusations in my letter -- I'm sorry I mentioned it here. I'll only describe the risk they pose to riders who were trying to maneuver in a crowd, in the wind, and suggest they allow them to ride in their own group and start behind the 5-mile riders.
    Last edited by Yen; 02-14-12 at 08:31 AM.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    09 Giant Cypress DX, 89 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way those things should be mixed in with regular bikes.
    Set phasers to butt-whup!

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a dude here in Smallville who rides one of those around our local HS & football stadium, which is also the evening walking/jogging path. El es stupido!

My Bikes
    France-Loire (Vitus 979)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Yen. I was in the 25 mi too. I didn't see any of the "machines" you mentioned-- but yes, it was tough enough clipped in with all the wind and some slower riders weaving around on conventional bikes. It wouldn't have taken much cause a collision.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wtaylor, you said it very well.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our London to Brighton and we have a few riders--About 33,000 and all of them will try and knock you off your bike. Bikes and I can understand where they are going and you can spot the one that could cause you a problem and stay out of their way. However for the past few times I have done the LtoB there have been inline skaters doing the event. They have not caused me a problem but they do take a lot of width of road and the steep hills are where I kept my eyes out for them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan