Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+0 (it's a car)

So I pulled the trigger on a replacement for my Subaru Legacy L wagon (being traded in). I decided that AWD was less important than fuel economy for my long drives to get to interesting bike rides, so I am accepting delivery of a brand new turbo-diesel Jetta TDI coupe next Monday or so.

I have ordered it with the 6-speed manual (REAL drivers shift their own gears, thank you), the 17" wheels (which look way nicer than the standard 16") and the electric glass sunroof (looking forward to my long drive to do some Cali Triple Crown rides in May!).

The Rodriguez fixie will fit neatly in the trunk with the wheels off, and I don't have to pull the cheesy cover over it to hide it. But the 2012 Jetta is built on the same chassis as the longer Golf wagon (not the sedan, as was the case pre-2011), so if I fold down the rear seats, I should be able to sleep in the combined rear seat/trunk space.

Now I just need to get the Yakima towers for the aircraft doors so I can carry the tandem. The best thing about the TDI is that it gets 50-60 mpg on the highway (4.6L/100 km), so although diesel costs more in the US, it's far from enough to offset the additional mileage. Oh, and it's the same TDI that's used on the LeMans-winning Audi R-8 race car! Bonus.

L.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N+0 ? say it ain't so...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Pics?
    Coming. It's still on the slow train from Mexico...

L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you didn't get white, you know how hard it is to find a white car in all the snow we get. Thinking when I get rid of my truck in a few more years I'll get the current model of the TDI that's available then or their Hybrid. I have had two and liked them both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now you get to pay lots more for dieselfuel...,it probably wont get much better mileagethan the other one.and dont forget to put the stuff in the fuel so when it gets real cold it wont clot up and stop..I have only been driving a turbo diesel for the last 350,000miles...put 10 gallons in yesterday and it was only38.00
    Bud

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    As long as you didn't get white, you know how hard it is to find a white car in all the snow we get. Thinking when I get rid of my truck in a few more years I'll get the current model of the TDI that's available then or their Hybrid. I have had two and liked them both.
    Yeah, the Canadian version of the Jetta TDI is way cooler (kuhler?) than the US version. For one thing, it comes with a block heater and cord, standard (not available on the US version!). For those days when you don't want to take the dog team out with the sled. (Bet you Yanks didn't know that we've got electrical outlets on the igloos!) But the kuhlest thing is that the speedo reads EXCLUSIVELY in kilometers per hour! None of those stupid mph translations on it! (Yeah, one thing Canadians who drive in the US have learned to do well ever since we've gone metric is to automatically translate mph to kmh. And it's "kmh" NOT "kph!")

L.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    I have ordered it with the 6-speed manual (REAL drivers shift their own gears, thank you)
    These days, manual transmission is also an effective theft deterrent.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one payment cars, then stopped buying any.
    fond memories of the old SAAB 96. too bad the management
    by only pursuing the posh sector, destroyed the company.

The 96 V4 was A combination of roller coaster, and toboggan ..

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get one with a trailer hitch. It'll make bike transport so much easier.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I pulled the trigger on a replacement for my Subaru Legacy L wagon (being traded in). I decided that AWD was less important than fuel economy for my long drives to get to interesting bike rides, so I am accepting delivery of a brand new turbo-diesel Jetta TDI coupe next Monday or so.

I have ordered it with the 6-speed manual (REAL drivers shift their own gears, thank you), the 17" wheels (which look way nicer than the standard 16") and the electric glass sunroof (looking forward to my long drive to do some Cali Triple Crown rides in May!).

The Rodriguez fixie will fit neatly in the trunk with the wheels off, and I don't have to pull the cheesy cover over it to hide it. But the 2012 Jetta is built on the same chassis as the longer Golf wagon (not the sedan, as was the case pre-2011), so if I fold down the rear seats, I should be able to sleep in the combined rear seat/trunk space.

Now I just need to get the Yakima towers for the aircraft doors so I can carry the tandem. The best thing about the TDI is that it gets 50-60 mpg on the highway (4.6L/100 km), so although diesel costs more in the US, it's far from enough to offset the additional mileage. Oh, and it's the same TDI that's used on the LeMans-winning Audi R-8 race car! Bonus.

L.
    But the LeMans cars have Paddle shifters, all F-1 cars have paddle shifters, all WRC cars have paddle shifters and the best high fuel mileage Hybrids use CVTs. So only NASCAR drivers must be real drivers because they still have a H pattern with a clutch.

Just kidding I know there is a loyal following to the old H pattern and manual clutch even if they are fading fast. The TDI has been the only VW I would consider if I were even thinking of another ICE power car. Good choice.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...., so I am accepting delivery of a brand new turbo-diesel Jetta TDI coupe next Monday or ....

L.
    you guys get 2 door Jettas up there?

My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    These days, manual transmission is also an effective theft deterrent.
    LOL

I've heard that. Fewer and fewer people can drive them.

I prefer a stick shift any day. Our old vehicles ('01 Subaru Outback, '96 Toyota Tacoma) are both manual transmissions.

When we were shopping for an older Tacoma a few years ago we didn't even consider any that were automatic transmission.
    Gunnar Sport
    Specialized Ruby
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX
    Jamis Dragon

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm jealous. While looking at vehicles a several years ago I read up on the turbo diesel jetta. D#ng, I wanted one. But even the used ones were around $7500. Too much for my budget.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get one with a trailer hitch.
    I noted in Europe they buy a trailer to haul stuff, behind their Econo Car,
    that in the States guys have to have a Big Pickup Truck to carry.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    L, If I buy another new car a TDI VW is at the top of the list. At this time in my life I feel I've bought too many new cars and I'm going to keep my old cars that have already cost eco dollars until they turn into dirt around me.

Brad