Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 02-14-12, 12:46 PM   #1
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
N+0 (it's a car)

So I pulled the trigger on a replacement for my Subaru Legacy L wagon (being traded in). I decided that AWD was less important than fuel economy for my long drives to get to interesting bike rides, so I am accepting delivery of a brand new turbo-diesel Jetta TDI coupe next Monday or so.

I have ordered it with the 6-speed manual (REAL drivers shift their own gears, thank you), the 17" wheels (which look way nicer than the standard 16") and the electric glass sunroof (looking forward to my long drive to do some Cali Triple Crown rides in May!).

The Rodriguez fixie will fit neatly in the trunk with the wheels off, and I don't have to pull the cheesy cover over it to hide it. But the 2012 Jetta is built on the same chassis as the longer Golf wagon (not the sedan, as was the case pre-2011), so if I fold down the rear seats, I should be able to sleep in the combined rear seat/trunk space.

Now I just need to get the Yakima towers for the aircraft doors so I can carry the tandem. The best thing about the TDI is that it gets 50-60 mpg on the highway (4.6L/100 km), so although diesel costs more in the US, it's far from enough to offset the additional mileage. Oh, and it's the same TDI that's used on the LeMans-winning Audi R-8 race car! Bonus.

L.
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 12:58 PM   #2
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Pics?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 01:05 PM   #3
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
N+0 ? say it ain't so...
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 01:16 PM   #4
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
Pics?
Coming. It's still on the slow train from Mexico...

L.
Old 02-14-12, 04:32 PM   #5
overthehillmedi

Bikes:
As long as you didn't get white, you know how hard it is to find a white car in all the snow we get. Thinking when I get rid of my truck in a few more years I'll get the current model of the TDI that's available then or their Hybrid. I have had two and liked them both.
overthehillmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 04:51 PM   #6
oldster

Bikes:
now you get to pay lots more for dieselfuel...,it probably wont get much better mileagethan the other one.and dont forget to put the stuff in the fuel so when it gets real cold it wont clot up and stop..I have only been driving a turbo diesel for the last 350,000miles...put 10 gallons in yesterday and it was only38.00
Bud
oldster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 05:48 PM   #7
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
As long as you didn't get white, you know how hard it is to find a white car in all the snow we get. Thinking when I get rid of my truck in a few more years I'll get the current model of the TDI that's available then or their Hybrid. I have had two and liked them both.
Yeah, the Canadian version of the Jetta TDI is way cooler (kuhler?) than the US version. For one thing, it comes with a block heater and cord, standard (not available on the US version!). For those days when you don't want to take the dog team out with the sled. (Bet you Yanks didn't know that we've got electrical outlets on the igloos!) But the kuhlest thing is that the speedo reads EXCLUSIVELY in kilometers per hour! None of those stupid mph translations on it! (Yeah, one thing Canadians who drive in the US have learned to do well ever since we've gone metric is to automatically translate mph to kmh. And it's "kmh" NOT "kph!")

L.
Old 02-14-12, 07:49 PM   #8
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
I have ordered it with the 6-speed manual (REAL drivers shift their own gears, thank you)
These days, manual transmission is also an effective theft deterrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 07:57 PM   #9
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 7
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
I got one payment cars, then stopped buying any.
fond memories of the old SAAB 96. too bad the management
by only pursuing the posh sector, destroyed the company.

The 96 V4 was A combination of roller coaster, and toboggan ..
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 09:29 PM   #10
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Get one with a trailer hitch. It'll make bike transport so much easier.
Old 02-14-12, 10:58 PM   #11
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
So I pulled the trigger on a replacement for my Subaru Legacy L wagon (being traded in). I decided that AWD was less important than fuel economy for my long drives to get to interesting bike rides, so I am accepting delivery of a brand new turbo-diesel Jetta TDI coupe next Monday or so.

I have ordered it with the 6-speed manual (REAL drivers shift their own gears, thank you), the 17" wheels (which look way nicer than the standard 16") and the electric glass sunroof (looking forward to my long drive to do some Cali Triple Crown rides in May!).

The Rodriguez fixie will fit neatly in the trunk with the wheels off, and I don't have to pull the cheesy cover over it to hide it. But the 2012 Jetta is built on the same chassis as the longer Golf wagon (not the sedan, as was the case pre-2011), so if I fold down the rear seats, I should be able to sleep in the combined rear seat/trunk space.

Now I just need to get the Yakima towers for the aircraft doors so I can carry the tandem. The best thing about the TDI is that it gets 50-60 mpg on the highway (4.6L/100 km), so although diesel costs more in the US, it's far from enough to offset the additional mileage. Oh, and it's the same TDI that's used on the LeMans-winning Audi R-8 race car! Bonus.

L.
But the LeMans cars have Paddle shifters, all F-1 cars have paddle shifters, all WRC cars have paddle shifters and the best high fuel mileage Hybrids use CVTs. So only NASCAR drivers must be real drivers because they still have a H pattern with a clutch.

Just kidding I know there is a loyal following to the old H pattern and manual clutch even if they are fading fast. The TDI has been the only VW I would consider if I were even thinking of another ICE power car. Good choice.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 11:06 PM   #12
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
Quote:
...., so I am accepting delivery of a brand new turbo-diesel Jetta TDI coupe next Monday or ....

L.
you guys get 2 door Jettas up there?
t4mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 05:42 PM   #13
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
These days, manual transmission is also an effective theft deterrent.
LOL

I've heard that. Fewer and fewer people can drive them.

I prefer a stick shift any day. Our old vehicles ('01 Subaru Outback, '96 Toyota Tacoma) are both manual transmissions.

When we were shopping for an older Tacoma a few years ago we didn't even consider any that were automatic transmission.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dragon
eofelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 05:51 PM   #14
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm jealous. While looking at vehicles a several years ago I read up on the turbo diesel jetta. D#ng, I wanted one. But even the used ones were around $7500. Too much for my budget.
locolobo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 06:04 PM   #15
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 7
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Quote:
Get one with a trailer hitch.
I noted in Europe they buy a trailer to haul stuff, behind their Econo Car,
that in the States guys have to have a Big Pickup Truck to carry.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 06:49 PM   #16
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
L, If I buy another new car a TDI VW is at the top of the list. At this time in my life I feel I've bought too many new cars and I'm going to keep my old cars that have already cost eco dollars until they turn into dirt around me.

Brad
bradtx is offline   Reply With Quote