Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Offtheback

My Bikes
    Look kg481SL, Look kg361, Bianchi Eros, Vintage (gorgeous) Motobecane Grand Jubilee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jumping to the "over fifty" catagory. Over thirty years on the bike, several actually. Looking for warm weather rides during winter months. Any info helpful. Has anyone considered starting a new week long ride in Southern state(s)? They seem to be in short supply and it's damn cold here.
    Last edited by offtheback; 12-18-04 at 08:50 PM.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't stand it today. I got a TREK Madone 3 weeks ago, and finally took the plunge of a ride today. 45 degrees but 20 mph winds. Hardest part was getting myself
    out there. I find cold weather riding is mostly mental and one MUST have proper clothing. Heck- I don't want to move. (Hey- still work, can't take a week off this time of year).

BTW the Madone was a blast. Early Christmas present to myself for my 30th year anniversery with work. (got a bonus that paid for a third, saved up the rest).
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Live to Ride,Ride to Live
    My Bikes
    2 - GT Panteras of different vintages, Trek 1100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtheback
    Jumping to the "over fifty" catagory. Over thirty years on the bike, several actually. Looking for warm weather rides during winter months. Any info helpful. Has anyone considered starting a new week long ride in Southern state(s)? They seem to be in short supply and it's damn cold here.
    Here's a link you might find useful:

http://www.sciway.net/tourism/cycling.html

I live in North Carolina but don't recommend road riding either here or South Carolina. The shoulders are basically non-existent and the drivers are nuts. I hear of road cyclists getting killed all the time. Most people ride off road. I have two mountain bikes and probably won't buy a road bike as long as I am still living here. Although I do ride on the street sometimes I make use of the Greenway system here and stay in less traveled areas with either bike lanes or wide streets. I also ride a fair amount off road.

South Carolina has a rail trail kind of system with some pretty good rides in it. When they get done building all the trails you will be able to ride from northwest to southeast without ever getting on the road.
    Last edited by michaelwlf3; 12-19-04 at 09:19 AM.

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was about 30 degrees here in Tallahassee, Florida this morning. That's not terribly cold, but keep in mind that we Floridians freeze to death at room temperature.

This is a lovely area to ride during the cold months. You can head south of town for long flat rides on the coastal plain, or climb up the Cody Escarpment and head further inland for a somewhat hillier ride. Drivers are used to seeing cyclists on the road and treat us respectfully.

I would not suggest going anywhere further south in Florida than about Orlando unless you stay way out in the boonies. With all due respect to senior citizen drivers (I am 54 years old) many of our snowbirds are a danger to themselves and others on the roads.
    Wag more, bark less

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hellfire and brimstone some snowbirds are mortal danger even when they aren't driving.
    Was riding 2 days ago, on garbage collection day, elderly lady, hate to say old woman,
    was wheeling her trash container out and placed it RIGHT IN THE BLASTED CENTER OF THE BIKE LANE WHICH WAS MARKED WITH A BIKE LOGO.
    I stopped and pointed out to her it was the same as placing it in the street, and she said,"Oh I thought that thing meant it was OK to park if you had a handicap tag in your window"

I neat ride I've done is from Florida City, using the alternative to US 1, and going to north Key Largo and then south on the Keys Hwy to Key West, (Overseas Hwy)
    The local police forces do a good job keeping traffic at reasonable speeds on the Keys