Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Third Eye mirrors. Opinions please?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Third Eye mirrors. Opinions please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 11:56 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
It is and they used to sell them. Apparently there is a supply issue so they made something similar.

It's a nice mirror. I tried to get a Chuck Harris one and was completely unsuccessful in getting through to him to get one.

J.
Old 03-09-12, 04:33 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Thought I would ask here since many of the 50+ members probably are wearing bi or tri focal glasses. I know that there is a thread on bike mirrors, but it didn't have what I was looking for.

I have always had a mirror on my bikes since getting back into cycling. When I bought my Defy I tried using a mirror that attaches to your eyeglasses. For whatever reason, I couldn't get used to them so I bought a mirror that mounts on Shimano STI shifters (Sora/Tiagra w/gear indicator) and gets attached under the hood. My new bike has Ultegra shifters and the mirrors don't fit without cutting a section of the hood. That's not happening!

Today, I bought a Third Eye helmet mount mirror and was wondering how easy is it to get used to if you wear prescription bifocal glasses when you ride? I haven't mounted the mirror yet and probably won't do so until Friday. I haven't been using a mirror on my daily MUP rides, but I did a club ride this past Saturday without a mirror and I was really uncomfortable riding on busy city streets without one. I have a charity ride on Saturday and would really like to have a mirror to see what's behind me as this ride is on a busy street that goes along the Gulf beaches. Thanks in advanced for any and all opinions and comments.
I have prescription progressive trifocals, and I like the metal-framed Take-A-Look. Same basic idea as a Third Eye, but a more stable structure. When I look at the mirror I'm looking through the long-distance part of my spectacle lens, and at objects a long distance away, so there are no optical issues. During riding season I get so used to having it there that I look for it while walking or even moving around the house.

Last edited by Road Fan; 03-09-12 at 04:49 AM.