Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    The guy in the 50+ jersey PAlt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Davidson, NC
    My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Posts
    716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Compu Trainer- Tips, Tricks & insights

    Through a fortunate set of circumstances, I've come into possesion of a Compu Trainer. Have ridden one in various classes, but now I have a machine for personal use. Had up and running in the personal "pain cave" for a few weeks so far, and first observations are these:
    1) Having taken several of my usual routes, and ridden them with FTP power set at my measured level, I've concluded you never really are riding as hard as you think on training rides.
    2) When I look at my Spin Scan, I seem to be more efficient when under load, vs. when spinning easier, which seems counter-intuitive to me.
    3) Using this will either kill me or make me stronger (which was kind of the point in getting it)
    4) I hate the "metal man"! Not fair if you don't need recovery for your HR.

    Wondering if anyone here has one, any tricks, tips, insights and their own experiences to share. I'll likely post also in Training & Nutrition.

  2. #2
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    8,900
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
    Through a fortunate set of circumstances, I've come into possesion of a Compu Trainer. Have ridden one in various classes, but now I have a machine for personal use. Had up and running in the personal "pain cave" for a few weeks so far, and first observations are these:
    1) Having taken several of my usual routes, and ridden them with FTP power set at my measured level, I've concluded you never really are riding as hard as you think on training rides.
    2) When I look at my Spin Scan, I seem to be more efficient when under load, vs. when spinning easier, which seems counter-intuitive to me.
    3) Using this will either kill me or make me stronger (which was kind of the point in getting it)
    4) I hate the "metal man"! Not fair if you don't need recovery for your HR.

    Wondering if anyone here has one, any tricks, tips, insights and their own experiences to share. I'll likely post also in Training & Nutrition.
    My personal trainer at Vision Quest has us work under light load, about 1% downhill, when we are asked to focus on & improve our pedal stroke.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

  3. #3
    Climbing Above It All BikeWNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking in the Sun.
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no insights about the computrainer. I haven't used mine since we went all Apple in our house several years ago. I'm working out a deal for store credit at the LBS to get rid of it. Why companies don't write their software for Mac IDK. I've had the same issue with WKO+. I've emailed them so many times asking when they intend to come out with a Mac version. It can't be that difficult to develop.

    One thing I do remember about using the CT, my hr was always higher on the trainer than the same power outdoors. I guess that is do to cooling issues. Thus the trainer always seems harder for the same power produced.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

  4. #4
    The guy in the 50+ jersey PAlt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Davidson, NC
    My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Posts
    716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy - You and I need to talk more!!! Any interval files or workouts you have you'd like to share?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    paradise
    My Bikes
    Waterford, Orbea, Giant
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I've got one and I like it. Quite a lot strangely enough.

    I assume you have the 3D and the CS software also? If not, they are must-haves.

    I have built several .erg files for the CS program which force me to ride certain intervals (mostly 2x20's). The "nice" thing about the CompuTrainer is that it forces you to ride at the set power. If you try to let off a bit, it just cranks up the resistance to where you are still putting it out.

    After I had built these .erg files using a simple word processor I was shown this website:

    http://63.134.234.143/tri/erg.asp

    A much simpler way of designing workouts. You just have to rename the file to a .erg.

    Also, you might want to check out these guys:

    https://sites.google.com/site/comput...-race-league-1

    Here, you download CT courses each week and ride them as time trials in a friendly competition. It is very motivating because you put the results up for everyone to see.

    Good Luck!
    Wiggy wiggy scratch yo yo bang bang

  6. #6
    The guy in the 50+ jersey PAlt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Davidson, NC
    My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Posts
    716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stevie47 - Yes have both as well as the multi rider. Having a hard time with the coaching software ,as I believe there's some basic element I'm not "getting" as regards loading courses. Feels like the learning curve is pretty steep and the coaching software rather archaic. 3D much more user friendly as is the multi rider. I'm running a 14 day free trial of PerfPro, and it makes course building very easy, I can take 3 years worth of Garmin files and create courses from that. I want to be able to build specific interval training courses, and that's challenging as well. Hence the inquiry. By the way, the post duplicated in Training and Nutrition has had 51 views and no responses thus far...(sigh).

  7. #7
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Let me check.
    My Bikes
    Of course.
    Posts
    11,238
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
    1) Having taken several of my usual routes, and ridden them with FTP power set at my measured level, I've concluded you never really are riding as hard as you think on training rides.
    Unless you have a power meter. Then you know.

    One thing I've seen on the CT's is on older, used units, quite a bit of float in the readings, I was doing some functional testing and could have sworn that the unit curved downward on it's readings. Switched out to my SRM equipped bike and yep, that was the case.

    Enjoy the unit.

  8. #8
    Senior Member dendawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
    Stevie47 - Yes have both as well as the multi rider. Having a hard time with the coaching software ,as I believe there's some basic element I'm not "getting" as regards loading courses. Feels like the learning curve is pretty steep and the coaching software rather archaic. 3D much more user friendly as is the multi rider. I'm running a 14 day free trial of PerfPro, and it makes course building very easy, I can take 3 years worth of Garmin files and create courses from that. I want to be able to build specific interval training courses, and that's challenging as well. Hence the inquiry. By the way, the post duplicated in Training and Nutrition has had 51 views and no responses thus far...(sigh).
    Just pulled mine out of the closet for the first time this year for one short ride last week. It's been an unusually warm winter here so I've been able to ride outdoors for the most part. What is Perfpro? Do you use it instead of the Computrainer Software. Also how is the coaching software used? I've been using mine with the 3D software only.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    paradise
    My Bikes
    Waterford, Orbea, Giant
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re the CS software: Yeah, it's a bit odd but very useful.

    When you start CS you just get a little simple bar menu thingy. Click on "start" then from the dropdown click on "charts". This opens up a windows browsing box which should show a few .erg files that are supplied with the software. I think you can find them online also, or design your own which I have done.

    Select one, click ok and the program comes to life. You are good to go.

    Hope this helps,

    Steve
    Wiggy wiggy scratch yo yo bang bang

  10. #10
    Senior Member dendawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie47 View Post
    Re the CS software: Yeah, it's a bit odd but very useful.

    When you start CS you just get a little simple bar menu thingy. Click on "start" then from the dropdown click on "charts". This opens up a windows browsing box which should show a few .erg files that are supplied with the software. I think you can find them online also, or design your own which I have done.

    Select one, click ok and the program comes to life. You are good to go.

    Hope this helps,

    Steve
    Tried it and the .erg files don't exist anywhere on my computer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •