Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NH
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Expert, Ultegra/Dura Ace
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Low gear salvation

    I'm in the 60+ group and interested in economical options that will make it easier to climb many of the long grade, and steep, hills where I live. I have used a Compact Ultegra drive train (50/34, 11/28) for years and am considering switching everything to an Ultegra triple to benefit from the realization that the engine ain't getting any stronger, I need that small ring salvation. On the other hand I would consider a MB rear derailleur (32 or 34) and keeping my Ultegra Compact intact. Has anyone found the latter option an effectiive solution over the Triple?

    I ride about 3-5 Centuries a year and am planning a 150 one day ride in 4 months.

    Any help appreciated.

    kgk
    Last edited by kouletsi; 02-17-12 at 03:46 AM. Reason: grammer

  2. #2
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,489
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were going to get a new bike, a triple would be a good idea. But an MTB derailleur setup is much cheaper as a retrofit than a triple.

    I did it on my winter bike, and my low gear is 34x34... works great.

    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    Squeaky Wheel woodway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,310
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the Ultegra long cage derailleur on the back, you can just install a wider range rear cassette. That derailleur is spec'ed for a maximum 28 tooth cog, but I run mine with a 12-32 SRAM cassette with zero issues. A 12-32 cassette with a 50-34 crank is within the take-up spec of this derailleur. You'll likely need to replace your chain with a longer one and you may need to tweak the b-screw adjustment to make sure the upper jockey wheel clears the big cog on the cassette. I've run with this combination for almost 15,000 miles over the last 2.5 years and it works great.

  4. #4
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,015
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    If you were going to get a new bike, a triple would be a good idea. But an MTB derailleur setup is much cheaper as a retrofit than a triple.

    I did it on my winter bike, and my low gear is 34x34... works great.

    This will be more economical than a triple.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

  5. #5
    Senior Member NOS88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,414
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, welcome to the 50+ forum.

    I'm using a compact double (34 - 50) and 11-34 cassette with a Shimano Deore XT on my commuter. It works fine. I didn't have to change brifters (which would have been pretty expensive). I actually didn't even put on a longer chain. I will when this one needs to be replaced. But as long as I don't go to the 50 -34 combo, I'm fine.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

  6. #6
    Senior Member ericm979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Posts
    6,170
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's safer to use the proper size chain. There's times in centuries that I have accidentally shifted into the big ring/big cog because my brain is kind of fried. If your chain is too short that will be the end of the ride for you and possibly the end of your frame or derailleur or wheel.

    Chains only cost $35 or so, and they wear out fast so you'll be replacing it soon anyhow if you ride much.

  7. #7
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To change to a triple it would cost you a new chain- New front Dr. And probably brifters.

    To change rear cassette will cost a new chain- Probably a new Rear Dr. and the cassette. The rear Dr. and it would probably be a Mountain bike type and The lowest to recommend is LX. Xt would be better but XTR could be expensive unless you buy on a few offers that are around.

    Lowest gear with a triple would be 30/28 and by changing the casssete it would be 34/34 with a doublecrank. Not much different on gearing but those 2 teeth make a difference.

    Only problem I can see is that the gear ratios with a 34 will be wider- which can get annoying but if you need lower gears- you need lower gears. And for the mountains I have a triple 50/39/30 and a 12/32 cassette. 30/32 and you can climb a wall.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  8. #8
    Senior Member NOS88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,414
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    It's safer to use the proper size chain. There's times in centuries that I have accidentally shifted into the big ring/big cog because my brain is kind of fried. If your chain is too short that will be the end of the ride for you and possibly the end of your frame or derailleur or wheel.

    Chains only cost $35 or so, and they wear out fast so you'll be replacing it soon anyhow if you ride much.
    I tend not to get "fried" when I ride. The fact is that for my current commute, I don't really need to go to the big ring, and have the front derailleur adjusted so it can't.... at least until I get the new chain.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

  9. #9
    Senior Member GFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a compact double 50/34 with an 11-34 rear cassette. The 11-34 replaced an 12-25 cassette. I did change the RD and chain to accommodate the extra large 34 cog and longer cage RD.

    Here's what I purchased and the cost;

    Shimano Deore XT M771 Rear Derailleur SGS Long Cage, $69.98
    Shimano Deore XT 10-Speed Cassette 11X34 $64.99
    Shimano Ultegra Chain $38.99

    The 34 x 34 combination is low enough to crawl up almost any grade. The extra spacing between cogs on the rear cassette actually has worked well for me. Where I used to shift up or down twice for slight elevation changes, shifting once usually puts me in the right gear. Although, this will depend on your preferred cadence. I like to spin between 85-105 rpm's, so having the wider spacing actually means less shifting, rather then more.

    If you change out the RD, don't get the Shadow model, I think it's because it won't work right with the STI shifters. The M771 I listed above, says it's a 9 speed RD, but that's miss-leading, it has plenty of range for a 10-speed cassette.

    You can conduct searches on other forums, but what I listed here is what I found and purchased, and it works great.

    Good luck...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm ... you are saying that if I put an XT r/d on my bike with a 12-34 10 speed it will work with 105 brifters? I have been told that the STI road shifters would not work with any MTB r/d.

  11. #11
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,430
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altamont View Post
    hmm ... you are saying that if I put an XT r/d on my bike with a 12-34 10 speed it will work with 105 brifters? I have been told that the STI road shifters would not work with any MTB r/d.
    You've been told wrong.

    Bear in mind, a derailleur is pretty dumb. It doesn't know what kind of bike it's mounted or what sort of lever is pulling its cable. It also doesn't know how many cogs are on your cassette. It doesn't have to in order to do its job.

    The cable moves, and the RD moves accordingly. The lever is what decides how much cable to pull or release, and by extension, how much the derailleur moves.

    In other words, it's not the derailleur that's indexed, it's the levers.

    (For completeness, this refers to traditional mechanical systems. Electronic ones, like Shimano Di2 and Campagnolo EPS, have reversed where the intelligence lives. The levers or buttons are dumb, the derailleur knows how far to move based upon its current position and which button is pressed.)
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  12. #12
    Century bound Phil85207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mesa Arizona
    My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Posts
    2,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GFish View Post
    I have a compact double 50/34 with an 11-34 rear cassette. The 11-34 replaced an 12-25 cassette. I did change the RD and chain to accommodate the extra large 34 cog and longer cage RD.

    Here's what I purchased and the cost;

    Shimano Deore XT M771 Rear Derailleur SGS Long Cage, $69.98
    Shimano Deore XT 10-Speed Cassette 11X34 $64.99
    Shimano Ultegra Chain $38.99

    The 34 x 34 combination is low enough to crawl up almost any grade. The extra spacing between cogs on the rear cassette actually has worked well for me. Where I used to shift up or down twice for slight elevation changes, shifting once usually puts me in the right gear. Although, this will depend on your preferred cadence. I like to spin between 85-105 rpm's, so having the wider spacing actually means less shifting, rather then more.

    If you change out the RD, don't get the Shadow model, I think it's because it won't work right with the STI shifters. The M771 I listed above, says it's a 9 speed RD, but that's miss-leading, it has plenty of range for a 10-speed cassette.

    You can conduct searches on other forums, but what I listed here is what I found and purchased, and it works great.

    Good luck...
    I have this system and am very happy with it.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

    Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

    Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

    If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

    In God we trust

  13. #13
    don't try this at home. rm -rf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    2,660
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd much rather have a triple instead of an 11-34 cassette. (But I don't ride either one, I have a 34-50 and either a 12-25 or 13-29 cassette)

    Via Mike Sherman's Gear Calculator:



    A triple with 30-39-52 and 12-25 (it's calculator link -- the calculator will update it's graphs on the fly when you make changes.)

    The middle chainring has very good coverage from about 13 to 20 mph, with closely spaced gears.

    Each chainring is a different color on the Speed Over RPM chart.





    A 34-50 compact with 11-34 (it's calculator link)

    Bigger jumps between gears, about 2 mph per gear in the 15 mph area. I like my 1 mph jumps on my 34-50 & 12-25 setup. But the lowest gear here is actually lower than the 30-25 on the triple.

    Last edited by rm -rf; 02-17-12 at 05:04 PM.

  14. #14
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Analysis paralysis. DiabloScott got it right.

    The new Shimano 10 speed RDs have different geometry than everything before them and will only work right with Shimano 10 speed MTB shifters. Use a 9 speed Shimano MTB RD with any Shimano indexed road shifters, including 10 speed.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Analysis paralysis. DiabloScott got it right.
    Here's the "knock" on the wide range cassette solution. It may or may not affect you.

    The issue is spacing between the gears. Where you're most likely to notice it is on flat roads. I live near the junction of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Between the two rivers is a flood plain area that is dead flat. If you have a gear that's right in the "sweet spot" riding in that area is great. If you don't, you're constantly trying to make do with a gear that's a teence too high or a teence too low. Either one is irritating.

  16. #16
    Climbing Above It All BikeWNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking in the Sun.
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Here's the "knock" on the wide range cassette solution. It may or may not affect you.

    The issue is spacing between the gears. Where you're most likely to notice it is on flat roads. I live near the junction of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Between the two rivers is a flood plain area that is dead flat. If you have a gear that's right in the "sweet spot" riding in that area is great. If you don't, you're constantly trying to make do with a gear that's a teence too high or a teence too low. Either one is irritating.
    Have you done the Tour de Corn? I drove out a couple years ago with my wife and daughter to ride that one. Thankfully it was a foggy cool morning for the ride.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

  17. #17
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,489
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    To change to a triple it would cost you a new chain- New front Dr. And probably brifters $$$

    edit: AND A BOTTOM BRACKET AND CRANK!! $$$ -diabloscott.

    To change rear cassette will cost a new chain- Probably a new Rear Dr. and the cassette. The rear Dr. and it would probably be a Mountain bike type and The lowest to recommend is LX. Xt would be better but XTR could be expensive unless you buy on a few offers that are around.
    OP asked for ECONOMICAL options. Run the numbers.

    Mine's an SLX Shadow... works fine. I have it with 9-speed downtube shifters.
    Last edited by DiabloScott; 02-17-12 at 09:44 PM.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  18. #18
    Senior Member GFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    OP asked for ECONOMICAL options. Run the numbers.

    Mine's an SLX Shadow... works fine. I have it with 9-speed downtube shifters.
    Believe this is why stapfam also posted this:
    To change rear cassette will cost a new chain- Probably a new Rear Dr. and the cassette. The rear Dr. and it would probably be a Mountain bike type and The lowest to recommend is LX. Xt would be better but XTR could be expensive unless you buy on a few offers that are around.

    From what I've read, for STI (105, Ultegra etc...) shifters, the Shadow RD is not recommended. The Shadow RD is setup for the cable pull with the newer MTB shifters, either this or something about the Shadow rear cog set. I'm not sure why this works for you, perhaps it's because you're using down tube shifters and cable pull is different when compared to STI. At least this was how it was explained to me.

    The 9 speed XT M771 Rear Derailleur SGS Long Cage works very well with 105 shifters; smooth and quick with no hesitation.

    I can certainly understand why some people prefer a triple; it's really the best of both worlds; climbing gears and close gearing for spinning on flats. But the double is not a deal breaker, it can work very well with a full range of gears available without the dreaded cross chain.

    At least there is more then one option available.
    Last edited by GFish; 02-18-12 at 01:29 AM.

  19. #19
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    You've been told wrong.

    Bear in mind, a derailleur is pretty dumb. It doesn't know what kind of bike it's mounted or what sort of lever is pulling its cable. It also doesn't know how many cogs are on your cassette. It doesn't have to in order to do its job.

    The cable moves, and the RD moves accordingly. The lever is what decides how much cable to pull or release, and by extension, how much the derailleur moves.

    In other words, it's not the derailleur that's indexed, it's the levers.

    (For completeness, this refers to traditional mechanical systems. Electronic ones, like Shimano Di2 and Campagnolo EPS, have reversed where the intelligence lives. The levers or buttons are dumb, the derailleur knows how far to move based upon its current position and which button is pressed.)
    +1... this is correct.

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  20. #20
    Senior Member GFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    Is your cogset and RD always this clean?

  21. #21
    Senior Member rkokish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado Rockies
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - Between my wife and I, we've used 105 brifters with Shimano MTB rear derailleurs and 11-34 cassettes on 5 different bikes and they work just fine on every one.
    Ron Kokish
    Carbondale, CO

  22. #22
    Senior Member Ranger63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    western new york
    My Bikes
    09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like you, I switched to the compact double years back.
    Needing something that would ease the climbs I began looking into super compact doubles (Velo Orange offers two)
    The one VO offers is basiclly a Sugino rd600 triple with the large chainring eliminated. It's a conversion any LBS or competent home mechanic could do (requires a longer BB tho)
    Thru BF I discovered one can tweak almost any shimano derailleur to accept a 30t cog.
    'What' I finally went with was VOs grand cru (the weight, the stiffness, the beauty of it) 46/30 and built up my own (two variations) 8 cog cassette. One being a 12-28 the other a 12 30.
    I went with a mid cage 105 Shimano derailleur figuring I might need more chain wrap with the small 30t chainring.
    It seems that most road triples don't offer a inner chainring lower than 32t.
    If you're going to go with a triple (for hills) you're probably better going with a deore setup where you can get a real granny gear setup.

  23. #23
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GFish View Post
    From what I've read, for STI (105, Ultegra etc...) shifters, the Shadow RD is not recommended. The Shadow RD is setup for the cable pull with the newer MTB shifters, either this or something about the Shadow rear cog set. I'm not sure why this works for you, perhaps it's because you're using down tube shifters and cable pull is different when compared to STI. At least this was how it was explained to me.

    The 9 speed XT M771 Rear Derailleur SGS Long Cage works very well with 105 shifters; smooth and quick with no hesitation.
    Shadow RDs are fine as long as they are the 9 speed type. The newer Shadow RDs are Dynasis 10 speed and do not play well with road shifters including 10 speed.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  24. #24
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,489
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GFish View Post
    Is your cogset and RD always this clean?
    HA! Not since the day I put it on... that was the "new install" shot. This is my foul weather bike, and it's usually got a layer of grunge on it. (one of the reasons I went downtube shifters... for reliability)
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    You've been told wrong.

    Bear in mind, a derailleur is pretty dumb. It doesn't know what kind of bike it's mounted or what sort of lever is pulling its cable. It also doesn't know how many cogs are on your cassette. It doesn't have to in order to do its job.

    The cable moves, and the RD moves accordingly. The lever is what decides how much cable to pull or release, and by extension, how much the derailleur moves.

    In other words, it's not the derailleur that's indexed, it's the levers.

    (For completeness, this refers to traditional mechanical systems. Electronic ones, like Shimano Di2 and Campagnolo EPS, have reversed where the intelligence lives. The levers or buttons are dumb, the derailleur knows how far to move based upon its current position and which button is pressed.)
    yes I know all that. but thanks for all your authoritative knowledge about basics. I don't know anyone (including me) who thinks a derailleur is indexed. the issue as explained to me is how much the 105 shifter pulls the cable when you move the lever and if it moves the XT r/d the proper amount to get it to shift properly. Blues Dog, along with my LBS (2 of them) say not. Shimano says not. if you all say it works, I guess my question is, does it work well or kinda work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •