Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I feel safer clipped in

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I feel safer clipped in

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 07:57 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Can't imagine riding my road bike with toe clips.
Put slotted cleats on your shoes and the effect is the same as a modern clipless pedal.

Old 02-20-12, 08:24 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Those of us who were a bit less serious wore cycling shoes that were more casual. I went through several pairs of Bata Bikers and a pair of touring shoes from Performance. You could still cinch the strap down fairly tight to secure your foot in the pedal/toe clip.

I realize I'm working with a 60+ man's memory, but I don't recall ever falling over because of toe clips, Power Grips, or clipless pedals. It's not inevitable. [Sound of knuckle rapping on head]

Last edited by JanMM; 02-20-12 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
I had the Avocet touring shoes and some Specialized Dirt Dogs which I used with clips and straps on the mtb and touring. I've also had Vitoria, Maresi, Duegi, Dinecta, Pearl Izumi, Shimano, and others.
Old 02-20-12, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bronze Potato
Coming of age with 2 sets of Binda straps tightened to toe numbing level, I feel less secure in the current equipment but I enjoy the comfort. I still twist/torque out while sprinting a couple times a year and it scares the cr@p out of me.

I fell over many moons ago with straps but never with clipless....how the hell can you? All you have to do is twist out.
There are ways. The unplanned stop--like when a dog gets loose, chases you, and cuts in front of you to head you off, forcing a sudden, unplanned stop (first clipless fall). Or when you come to a light, unclip one pedal, balancing on the toes of one foot, and unconsciously lean the wrong way while waiting for the light to change. I never "forget" to unclip at a stop, but sometimes, things just happen. Luckily, almost all falls happen when stopped or at crawl speed, so only your pride gets hurt.
Old 02-20-12, 09:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Clipless does seem to be a safer method from what I've been reading.

I'll be getting a roadie(Giant Defy 1 2012 version) in a couple of weeks, but have decided to start out with clips. Part of this is financial since it will cost me a couple of hundred more than the bike cost to add pedals, bag, pump, some tools, spare tube, work stand, bike floor stand, tail and head light, cyclocomputer. I just can't justify the cost of the clipless pedals and shoes in addition to all. Still deciding on strapless toe clips, toeclips with straps, or power straps. I'll likely eventually go clipless, but not at the moment.
You're talking about one Franklin for inexpensive shoes and a pair of the cheapest SPD or SPD-SL pedals. You can get a set of Shimano R-540 SPD-SL pedals for around $40 online. In fact, I just paid $55 for 105 pedals. Those prices include cleats. Get the pedals and shoes now, and save your pennies for the computer down the road. The computer isn't going to do nearly as much to make you a better rider, at this point, as the pedals will.
Old 02-21-12, 05:09 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Strapped and happy since 1974
Old 02-21-12, 05:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Skimming this thread.. most have a 'fall story' due to hooking into the petal. Which I fail to understand... how increasing the likelihood of a fall is acceptable. Saying the obvious.. going down with bike can be your last fall.. from a bike. I simply could not risk NOT being able to ride...........

I just chuckle... remembering a young sales rep at the LBS explaining away how great the petal attachments were. To his credit he did relate his 'near death' experience at a busy intersection upon failing to detach. Seems he went down.. car just missed punching his ticket... he's of course still using them.

Youth. Or the factoring of risk out.. of reality.
Old 02-21-12, 10:00 AM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big john
When we used to use clips and straps we had slotted cleats which fit onto the rearof the quill pedal. If the strap was tight it was nearly impossible to pull out.
My post was sarcasm directed at the wise guy who says he will never fall with clips. He's special.
Old 02-21-12, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
My post was sarcasm directed at the wise guy who says he will never fall with clips. He's special.
Oops, guess I had the sarcasm detector switched off.
Old 02-21-12, 11:18 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SortaGrey
Skimming this thread.. most have a 'fall story' due to hooking into the petal. Which I fail to understand... how increasing the likelihood of a fall is acceptable. Saying the obvious.. going down with bike can be your last fall.. from a bike. I simply could not risk NOT being able to ride............
I guess you will want to stop riding altogether. People fall occasionally no matter what pedal system they use. People rarely fall no matter what pedal system they use. Most falls are not related to pedals.
Old 02-21-12, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Been riding clipless for 15 years both road and MTB. Lately however, I've changed my MTB to platforms because of the technical trails here in Austin. I rode clipless on my MTB in California for years but it's a lot of single track on packed trails. Here, it's very rocky and I've found I don't have the confidence to stay clipless on these trails. I surprised myself that I gave up on clipless on the MTB for now.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 02-21-12, 05:39 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SortaGrey
Skimming this thread.. most have a 'fall story' due to hooking into the petal. Which I fail to understand... how increasing the likelihood of a fall is acceptable. Saying the obvious.. going down with bike can be your last fall.. from a bike. I simply could not risk NOT being able to ride...........

I just chuckle... remembering a young sales rep at the LBS explaining away how great the petal attachments were. To his credit he did relate his 'near death' experience at a busy intersection upon failing to detach. Seems he went down.. car just missed punching his ticket... he's of course still using them.

Youth. Or the factoring of risk out.. of reality.
99.9% of the falls while clipped in come when a rider is stopped or about to stop. If a fall at that "speed" is one's last fall, that person's number was up regardless of what he/she was doing at the time.

You can hurt yourself a lot easier, and a lot more seriously, if a fall is caused by your foot slipping off platform pedals when you're spinning a high cadence.
Old 02-21-12, 06:04 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Being "attached" to the pedals is not only more comfortable but it is also a lot more efficient to transfer power directly to the pedals without any give or slippage.

But if one has to fall, falling with the modern clipless pedals is a lot safer because as one falls your foot will twist and come off the pedal (hopefully not too late)--with straps and cleats no such luck and that cost me a broken hip!
Old 02-21-12, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When we used to use clips and straps we had slotted cleats which fit onto the rearof the quill pedal. If the strap was tight it was nearly impossible to pull out.
I still use toe clips and straps,many years ago I tried cleats on em,ONE,TIME!!joined club tombay,,as you said, real hard to get out of..still have the cleats but will never use em again..and can't see using "clipless"either,guess thats ok on myMotta steel I built in 83
Bud
Old 02-21-12, 08:28 PM

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Those of us who were a bit less serious wore cycling shoes that were more casual. I went through several pairs of Bata Bikers and a pair of touring shoes from Performance. You could still cinch the strap down fairly tight to secure your foot in the pedal/toe clip.
Bata Bikers were sweet!! one of my favorites!
Old 02-25-12, 05:15 PM

Bikes: Pretty fast ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When we used to use clips and straps we had slotted cleats which fit onto the rear of the quill pedal. If the strap was tight it was nearly impossible to pull out.
Yeah, what he said. You just couldn't get out without reaching down and loosening them. Fun when the light was still red and you were at the end of your ability to track stand.

I understand that some people use toe straps loose as hell, we didn't train/race with them that way though.

I guess I'm just a coordinated "wiseguy" as I still bunny hop curbs/RR tracks and holes/bumps too.

Last edited by Bronze Potato; 02-25-12 at 05:23 PM.