Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My body is still ok but my eyes are going. :-(

My eyesight has been getting worse every year. For the past few months it has been harder to make out the numbers on the computer or read information posted on the trail, so I ordered some of these today. I hope they help.

Anyone else use them?
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

DEK
    My Bikes
    '11 Felt Z85, '72 Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a pair of "fishing" glasses at Wal-mart that have a simliar reading lens in the bottom. Only cost me $20.00.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem is near sight. Normal distance OK but I have reading glasses. Can't use them on the bike so I NEVER do rides where a route sheet only is provided. Give me some Big arrows on signposts or a Marshall on every corner and I am fine.

Did a 100 miler in about 96 and it was also a Randonnee run by the CTC. No signs- No marshals- just route directions. Problem was my riding partner who did not have an eyesight problem could not read a map and we did the longest 100 miler in my life. Reckon we went up the steepest hill in Somerset 3 times.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    My eyesight has been getting worse every year. For the past few months it has been harder to make out the numbers on the computer or read information posted on the trail, so I ordered some of these today. I hope they help.

Anyone else use them?
    Those look really cool... I have used a pair similar to that for fishing, sure made tieing knots a lot easier. My eyes are getting to the point where I am going to have to do something also. I am far-sighted so I only need glasses to read and so forth, but I think I am going to try contacts when I go to my Optometrist during spring break this year.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be nice to have such good eyesight that you don't need a prescription.

My last lenses were $735. Just the lenses. Went with something cheaper in my sunglasses. Those were $525.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice glasses.

@tsl,
    I went even cheaper on the sunglasses. I use clip-ons, not flip-ups, over my prescription glasses.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presbyopia, the eyes' decreasing range of focus accommodation. Reading glasses, granny glasses, bifocals, progressives, dual vision... So far there's no getting around it.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to start looking at getting something similar to those as soon as I go back to the optometrist next month. Just had cataract surgery yesterday and I have to wait to see what my new prescription is going to be. After the surgery, I can see almost as good (distance) without glasses as I can with them. I will only need something for reading the face on my computer if I go this route. I may just check out what DEK got at Wal Mart.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also need something to read my computer and route sheets. Great OP.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried bifocals once for just wearing around the house and damn near killed myself going up and down stairs. For many years now I've used contacts with one lens for reading and this works very well for me. One interesting bit though....the reading lens is only marginally effective unless I'm in natural light.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used safety glasses with bifocal inserts for 3+ years. These work very well if you're farsighted and the inserts are small enough to have no effect on your vision other than helping to read the cyclometer. Unfortunately, in my dotage I've needed to to with progressive Rx glasses, actually Rudy Project glasses with snap-in inserts. I've been very happy with the Rx glasses, but the safety glasses (< $10) should work for you.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worn glasses since the 5th grade so... ... no big deal...If I started losing sight or something, then that would be a problem.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After three weeks with my no-line bifocals, I'm still trying to get used to them. I see fine in the distance now, but have trouble reading, with that narrow field of clear vision.
    I ruined a pear of trifocals with those clip-on sun glasses. They rub on the lenses while riding and cause fine scratches, making cloudy spots.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waldowales View Post
    After three weeks with my no-line bifocals, I'm still trying to get used to them. I see fine in the distance now, but have trouble reading, with that narrow field of clear vision.
    I ruined a pear of trifocals with those clip-on sun glasses. They rub on the lenses while riding and cause fine scratches, making cloudy spots.
    Clip-ons haven't done any damage in the 4 years(car use) or the 1 year of cycling with the pair I wear now. It must be the lenses I have. I have polycarbonate lenses which are naturally scratch resistant(don't waste money adding scratch resistance to polycarbonate lenses). Also, as no-line bifocals go, there are a few techniques of doing the bifocal...some have a narrower field than others. I can't remember which kind I have, but I did get a new pair once with a narrower field and I went back and complained. They changed the lenses to the type I had before.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    I have worn glasses since the 5th grade so... ... no big deal...If I started losing sight or something, then that would be a problem.
    Me, too, since 4th grade. Had a scare earlier this week, though, when on the drive to work I started seeing crescent-shaped flashes of light in my peripheral vision, followed by a bunch of new floaters. I had all kinds of horror scenarios playing out in my mind from blood pressure to glaucoma to diabetes to retinal detachment. Got to the doctor the first thing next morning and was told I had Posterior Vitreous Detachment. Though not considered "normal," she told me it's "not uncommon." Apparently the majority of people develop it sooner or later, just not quite this "sooner" for most (57). A minor relief, though still a pain.

Oh, and again, as always with my posts, if any representatives of the health insurance industry are reading this, the information above is entirely fictional.
    Craig in Indy

tsl
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waldowales View Post
    Give it another week and if it doesn't improve, return to your optician. No-lines are not all the same. There are differences between all the different makes and models. They're as different as Campy and Shimano. There will be an alternate that works better for you with reading.

I chose different lenses for my everyday and my sunglasses. My everyday ones have a wider reading area and a taller intermediate area (helpful with the commuter and desk work at work), at the expense of some distance in the very tops of the lens. My sunglasses have exceptional distance, reasonable intermediate and a narrower reading zone. Both sets have very little "swim".

Explain to your optician all your needs and be willing to work to find the right ones for you.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.

My Bikes
    1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2008 Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Must be nice to have such good eyesight that you don't need a prescription.

My last lenses were $735. Just the lenses. Went with something cheaper in my sunglasses. Those were $525.
    Holy moly. I'm extremely near sighted as well as having astigmatism. My no-line bifocals cost $325 including the frame and I thought I had expensive glasses.
    1999 Giant TCR 2T
    2009 Giant Cypress DX
    2008 Giant Sedona

My Bikes
    Stella
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are $15 glasses at the local safety supply store which will give you a semi-wrap-around effect and that have a near-focus section down by your nose. These would work for the presbyotic.

For those of us needed a bit more correction, and that wear contacts, the "monovision" approach may work for you. One eye gets a lens that works for far vision. The other eye gets a near vision prescription. In a day or two your brain sorts it all out. You still have a binocular effect for judging distance. If your eyes aren't too bad, there are contacts for astigmatism (somehow they make them heavier on one side and they rotate on your eyeball to make the correction work) I'm doing this and it works pretty well. I do need wrap-around glasses to keep the wind out of my eyes, but those are just tinted.

My Bikes
    Cervelo RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    Me, too, since 4th grade. Had a scare earlier this week, though, when on the drive to work I started seeing crescent-shaped flashes of light in my peripheral vision, followed by a bunch of new floaters. I had all kinds of horror scenarios playing out in my mind from blood pressure to glaucoma to diabetes to retinal detachment. Got to the doctor the first thing next morning and was told I had Posterior Vitreous Detachment. Though not considered "normal," she told me it's "not uncommon." Apparently the majority of people develop it sooner or later, just not quite this "sooner" for most (57). A minor relief, though still a pain.

Oh, and again, as always with my posts, if any representatives of the health insurance industry are reading this, the information above is entirely fictional.
    Same thing happened to me last month, in my right eye. I saw an ophthalmologist who told me my vitreous was "melting", which often occurs around age 55 or later. No problem unless it pulls on the retina and tears it. I have one fairly large new floater and a cloudy patch that moves in and out of my field of vision, but both these seem to be getting better. Doc said not to worry, and the other eye should go through the same thing within another few months.

tsl
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    My eyesight has been getting worse every year.
    You know, here we are over 30 hours past the initial post, and no one has brought up, "Didn't your mother ever tell you to stop that or you'll go blind?"

Darned boring grown-ups.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick-on bifocals would work for riders that only need reading glasses, and already have biking sunglasses.

See my post from an old thread.

I trimmed these to about half their original size with a razor blade.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My glasses came in the mail yesterday so I did a test ride with them today (67.3 miles). Gotta give them two thumbs up.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you like them. I have been using the Wall Mart sunglasses from the sporting goods but they are a little dark and was wondering about the gray ones you. The Wall Mart glasses are Polaroid and I like that part just wish they weren't so dark. I think I will try a pair and see how it goes.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen an eye doctor? Many times I have people come in that have done the "reading glass" thing or buy cheap bifocals and I find out they also have uncorrected astigmatism those "glasses" cannot correct. Best to see a professional and let them do the doctoring . Just the eye doctor in me me coming out .
    Also having the bifocal in the correct spot can make all the difference in the world! You can't get that correct buying off the shelf. And no-line bifocals are a million times better than lined ones anyway.
    Just like you'd recommend a fitting by a professional for a bike, get one for your glasses too!! There are way too many variables in there to deal with.
    -correct rx
    -correct bifocal power in combination with correct rx
    -correct bifocal height
    -correct frame size
    -the problem may be something else: cataracts, or any of a gazillion eye problems. That's the correct scientific term

-finding problems you don't know exist. Glaucoma is a huge one. No symptoms.

BUT. Glad the glasses you ordered are working but don't let that stop you from getting the eyes looked at for the HEALTH of them.
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 02-29-12 at 09:46 AM.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Have you seen an eye doctor?
    I see the eye doctor every August. I wear $600 progressive lens glasses and $350 "reading" glasses.
    I just didn't want to spend a lot on riding glasses. They work just for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast