User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Riding our age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding our age.

I'm all for this riding our age thing we do here but I have a minor poblem with it. The older I get the longer the rides. We should come up with a formula similar to the one used to find your max heart rate. That way the older we get the easier it will be to "ride our age". Maybe let the younger ride longer miles to bank towards their older years. What say ye.

P.S. Please let us be quick as I have a brithday coming up soon.
    Last edited by overthehillmedi; 02-28-12 at 10:25 PM.

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping to ride double my age this year and hold onto that distance for as many years as possible. I may not achieve it, nor for long, but I'm not lowering my expectations until frailty forces me to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my 60th I rode the first of what I hope are many 'Birthday Centuries'. I consider it practice for the 100th in a little under 39 years from now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four years ago my wife rode (averaged) her age (52) for 70 consecutive days to cover 3650 miles. She did not think riding her age was such a big deal

When I was younger, I used a formula for running my age. I would run 1 mile for each year until age 50; then I would subtract 1 mile for every year over 50. Unfortunately, I was injured in an accident when I was 49, and could no longer run; so I never got to the point where I could subtract miles. Fortunately, it was the event that got me back on my bike with a passion.
    Last edited by Doug64; 02-28-12 at 11:16 PM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fail
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is heresy! Next you'll want donuts to replace pie!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

DEK
    My Bikes
    '11 Felt Z85, '72 Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Actually that would be donuts + pie.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I detect a major schism developing here. Donuts are portable. You can put them in a pannier, Camelbak, or in my case, Brainbag. Depending on your level of gluttony, you can down three or four long before your satiety center even wakes up.

Perhaps I shouldn't mention this, but when you're running for your life to escape the zombie apocalypse, what would rather carry: a bag full of Krispy Kremes, or some stupid apple pie?

I rest my case.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can be bought. For $1 per age year. I'll ride your age for you up to age 120. After that, it's $1.25 per year of age.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to ride my age for my 51st in April, but I already exceeded that goal a month ago. Hadn't ridden a 60 mile day since I was 25 and it actually felt easier than I recall it being then. Pretty happy with that.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what's wrong with donuts? Unless of course it has no hole, then it would be a danish.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, actually doughnuts would be a better thing up here in the Great White North bas there are probably more Timmies than pie shops. But all this talk about pies and doughnuts is taking away from the question that I posed. I know it doesn't take much for some of us(self included) to be led astray in our thoughts at our great age but let us solve or come to a amiable conclusion to the question before getting into a great debate over pie and doughnuts.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was the question? Oh yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    I'm all for this riding our age thing we do here but I have a minor poblem with it. The older I get the longer the rides. We should come up with a formula similar to the one used to find your max heart rate. That way the older we get the easier it will be to "ride our age". Maybe let the younger ride longer miles to bank towards their older years. What say ye.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding ones age is too easy...anyway... HTFU.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but I simply reject the whole idea of formulas and equivalences and such related to ride distance, whether in reference to age rides or comparing different activities like road riding vs. mountain biking or flat vs. hills or riding vs. running or actual riding vs. trainer riding.

Just keep it simple. Ride your age. If it gets to be too far to ride, for example, 75 miles in a day, switch to 75 kilometers (46.5 miles) or 75 yards or 75 feet or 75 minutes. Just do 75 of something to celebrate your 75th birthday.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Riding ones age is too easy...anyway... HTFU.
    Agreed...it's not like you're trying to shoot your age in golf.

Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree we should stay on topic, but another issue has just surfaced - donuts or doughnuts?
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree we should stay on topic, but another issue has just surfaced - donuts or doughnuts?
    Could I eat 66 in June?

Would they go down smoother with a carbon fork?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Sorry, but I simply reject the whole idea of formulas and equivalences and such related to ride distance, whether in reference to age rides or comparing different activities like road riding vs. mountain biking or flat vs. hills or riding vs. running or actual riding vs. trainer riding.

Just keep it simple. Ride your age. If it gets to be too far to ride, for example, 75 miles in a day, switch to 75 kilometers (46.5 miles) or 75 yards or 75 feet or 75 minutes. Just do 75 of something to celebrate your 75th birthday.
    This is a good solution. Do your age in something. Might want to exclude some possibilities however. Personally I wouldn't want to do 62 tombays this October.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post

Simple. Just go metric. About time you Yanks went metric anyway and joined the rest of the world (not to mention your own military!). I thought you guys fought the Revolution to get away from the British Imperial System! And you even had those Frenchies helping you, and they INVENTED metric!

- Luis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride your age or golf your age? That is the question.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Raleigh Venture 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about furlongs(660 feet) per fortnight (two weeks, I think)?
    "Why is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a barbecue?" Anonymous

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am reminded of one of the legendary figures in California cycling who was around when I first started riding seriously. Ed Delano, aka "Foxy Grandpa," must have been in his 70's or 80's back in 1972 when I rode with the Berkeley Wheelmen. Even then, he was still in many of the bike races, and I remember he was once asked if he liked doing the longer road races. His reply, "the longer they are, the better I like 'em!"

Luis

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aging is 90 percent mental, of course the other half is physical.
    Last edited by BigAura; 02-29-12 at 08:01 PM. Reason: sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    Simple. Just go metric. About time you Yanks went metric anyway and joined the rest of the world (not to mention your own military!). I thought you guys fought the Revolution to get away from the British Imperial System! And you even had those Frenchies helping you, and they INVENTED metric!

- Luis
    Hey, we aren't the only holdouts. How 'bout Liberia and Myanmar? We've got some company.

Seriously, I wish we did switch. I teach part-time at the local community college, in the evenings in the geography department and the first lecture is usually on S.I., (Système international d'unités). They have to do a homework assignment using a freeware conversion program that I give them. Then, for the rest of the semester, I use S.I. instead of our screwed up system. Congress tried to get us to switch in the mid 70's, but did not have the sand to force us to transition. The general public rebelled.

Back when the United States was the big gorilla on the planet, we could get away with using out antiquated system. I predict that in the next few decades, as our influence in the world wanes, we will finally conform, if just to stay competitive with the new economic powers on the planet, (e.g., India, China, EU). I hope I live long enough to see it happen. I still don't have a good grasp on temperatures, but the other stuff is pretty easy ... and logical.

- - -

Last birthday, I was able to ride double my age. A double metric century was a bit over 120 miles. My goal is to ride double my age, (in miles), until I am physically unable to do so.
    Last edited by volosong; 02-29-12 at 01:39 PM.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast