Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

The cat says Merry Xmas Pamestique's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An EXTREMELY positive bike buying experience!!!

OK now don't ask me why I bought a new bike - that's a whole other issue. I really need to buy a new car instead but buying a bike is just so much more enjoyable. I wish I could find someone to help me with a car like Michael at Speedgoat helped me with the bike.

I knew exactly the bike I wanted - 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana in Light blue, adding a Chris King headset in Black. It's really hard to find Santa Cruz's in shops here in California and what I found (and had to be ordered anyway) was so overpriced, the bike was out of the question. My friend suggested Speedgoat.com. He has bought a number of bikes, just having bought a new Moots from them recently.

OK so I decided to try Speedgoat. The price listed was what was suggested by the manufacturer (and $600 less than in the shops here) so that was a good start but I had lots of questions so I decided to write "sales support". I figured no one would respond but boy was I surprised. I got an immediate response back from "Michael". Poor thing; over the course of a week I have written him every day with questions and issues. He has always promptly and politely responded to my inquiries. Eventually we got all the issues worked out and questions answered and I just finished ordering the bike.

The service provided was great. I have many friends who use and like Speedgoat and don't hesitate to order "big ticket" items online. Of course, it helps to know what you want and that you are comfortable without having to physically see the bike in person.

But I think Michael deserves some praise. All too often good customer service (especially on the internet) is lacking.

Boy can't wait to get my bike. She is going to be beautiful!!!!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think an inaugural ride in Moab is in order for the new bike!! Congrats and thanks for the recommendation on SG.

BTW, what size is the LandShark that your friend is selling?
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    I think an inaugural ride in Moab is in order for the new bike!! Congrats and thanks for the recommendation on SG.

BTW, what size is the LandShark that your friend is selling?
    It's custom so little hard to describe - its a 58 but top tube is short. I would have to get exact measurements.

It's been awhile since I've ridden Moab... I would really like to get back there some day!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its always great to hear someone getting treated well when purchasing something. Thanks for the heads up with them.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying "Unseen" takes a lot of courage and even more research.

Two of us have just done it and I researched the Frame size well before I ordered. Just aswell as The others I was thinking about were not available and the decision was made in about 30 seconds. The other is my neighbour and he did check My new bike out and my TCR and Boreas. Top tube length was what we were looking at and Like me- he bought a 50cm frame. My 50 fitted better than the other two which are 51's. BUT- his bike in a different manufacturer feels different. Took some time to find out but My Pinarello has a 525 Top tube- 100 mm stem and compact bars. Fitted both of us a treat. His Forme has a 525 top tube- a 105 Stem and the bars are not compact. Luckily it can be easily corrected but You have to do the research and know what you require if Buying online.

But a Santa Cruz----- Was one of my Dream bikes when I was mountain biking. That is going to take some beating but before you do that first ride--post on the N+1 of 2012

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...he-N-1-of-2012
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait to see it

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you actually get a bike... not saying speedgoat is a bad resource, but there have been some internet shops that turned out not to be anything. I remember several years ago here on BF where a shop was investigated and it was discovered that no such address existed in the town of record.

Of course I am an old fuddy duddy, and don't quite trust the interwebz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Pam!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    But a Santa Cruz----- Was one of my Dream bikes when I was mountain biking. That is going to take some beating but before you do that first ride--post on the N+1 of 2012

[/url]
    I didn't realize until I was doing some research - that Santa Cruz is big in England. It's easier to find a bike there than it is here and Santa Cruz is basically a local shop for me.

I already have a Superlight. The Juliana is an newer version. The old bike is going to become my backup.

Buying online does not bother me if you know the bike and how it fits. I bought a custom Landshark basically "online" and could only hope it fit... it does and it's been a wonderful bike for me. Key is research, ask questions, research and question and don't take the plunge until you are satisfied.

As soon as I get the new bike (should be about 2 weeks) I'll post photos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you have the bike, you need the matching transporter. That should make car-buying easier.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    It's custom so little hard to describe - its a 58 but top tube is short. I would have to get exact measurements.

It's been awhile since I've ridden Moab... I would really like to get back there some day!
    Rats!! Land Shark too big for me. Enjoy the new SC when it comes, woo hoooo!
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate competent and gracious sales staff! In October 2010, I was having a pleasant email dialogue with Canada's Koga Miyata distributor about frame size when he popped the question: "Would you buy a signature edition World Traveller for $X." These bikes are made to order in the Netherlands but the dealer had one on the shop floor. Without hesitation I said "Yes" and gave him my VISA number. I would have been much more circumspect if he hadn't been so nice to chat with.

Fast forward to October 2011. This time I was coveting a new canoe. Having gone to the store "Just to look", a really amiable chap engaged me in conversation. He was very knowledgable and not at all pushy. Before I left the store I had ordered the canoe of my dreams and outfitted myself with all the accessories.

So Pam, I know where you're at. I hope catching and riding the bike is as good for you as the hunt. Many happy miles ahead.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    I knew exactly the bike I wanted - 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana in Light blue, adding a Chris King headset in Black. It's really hard to find Santa Cruz's in shops here in California and what I found (and had to be ordered anyway) was so overpriced, the bike was out of the question.
    Too bad you're not in my area. My favorite bike shop always has Santa Cruz bikes on the floor, and they're only a 10-minute walk from my house.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Pam, the N+1 seems to be rampant here at 50+ lately. The Santa Cruz always seemed like great bicycles to me, looking at them, we have a few here locally. Looking forward to a first ride report and pictures, of course the first ride pie synopsis is also required. Let us know when you get the SC and I'll have a celebratory East Coast pie slice in your honour.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it arrives you have to post the pictures.

I actually think there are lots of good shops around. You just have to either spend some time sorting the good from the not so good, or get lucky. Glad you experience was a positive one.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear this Pam, and good luck and happy riding!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speedgoat has been, and continues to be, one of the premier bike shops in the country. I came close to buying a mtn. bike from them, but got a much better deal from another shop. Driving from NJ to Ohio one time I stopped by their store and did a test ride. Just great people selling quality products.

I've purchased a couple of bikes online and was perfectly happy with the results. The reason I buy anything online is 1) only way to find the product, and, 2) amazing price. Both bikes I bought online were close outs on model year/bike line and the shops just wanted to liquidate merchandise. I got my Parlee Z4 frame for 1/2 the normal price at the time. If you keep your eyes pealed, aren't in a hurry, aren't picky about some details like color and specific components, you can find amazing deals on bikes, both online and at local stores.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you had a good experience. Just be careful riding it so you don't fall again.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought two expensive bikes from an "L"BS 70 miles away; very low pressure approach, excellent service, etc. When I was shopping for my single I tried a Specialized dealer that was relatively local; the salesperson had not sales skill. He wasn't rude, just didn't know how to engage the customer and didn't inspire confidence in the other aspects of the (large) shop. So when I need something done that I can't do myself I make the 140 mile R/T (Jetta TDI, 40 mpg). Once, I actually asked the owner to charge me for some work on the tandem because I was feeling guilty; I'm an "early adopter" and am running a 10-speed cassette/chain on a quad chain ring setup designed for 9 speed.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture