Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Kicking my own butt is becoming irritatingly regular these days...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From mid January until the end of February, I slept in my own bed a half dozen times - far too many airline tix (flying is sooo much fun ). Not good for fitness - found almost ten of the pounds I lost last summer.

Had a beautiful day for a ride on Saturday last, 32 miles, the first half nice rollers, finishing in the flats before the final climb to the house (had a beer break at mile 19, Rogue's Hopyards are conveniently near home ).

But I was a mess when I got home - totally wiped out.

Two commutes this week, and stole away from work this afternoon since we only get so many 65 degree blue sky days in March (or April, or May.....) here in Western Oregon.

Again, rode 32 miles, mostly the same route. No beer break, just rode it straight up, added some hills. Trimmed about twenty minutes off the ride (did it in just under two hours, pretty fast for me if there are hills since I am old and fat). But DANG. Kicked me arse again.

Would that I were twenty something instead of fifty something.... But kicking my tail is actually kinda fun.

Now the rains (plus wind) come back, so back to the trainer tomorrow night. Whoopee.
Old 03-08-12, 08:35 PM

Bikes: 2020 Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
As old guys we certainly know what the term "keep on keeping on" means so I'll say it again...
Keep on keeping on!!!
Old 03-09-12, 02:03 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I know what you mean about the airlines, plus waiting in airports for flights, working away from home . . .

Sucks, really, but I just back from working a 3-day show in England, then a one-day show in New Jersey. So I lost two weekends of riding and when I got back on the bike I pretty much sucked, at least compared to the way I was riding before the flights.

Okay, I did get in a 25 mile ride in England (St. Albans to Hemple-Hemstead and back) and I had a ride scheduled for NJ but first my flight was late, and then the ride got rained out.

So yeah, I feel your pain.

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 03-09-12 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-09-12, 02:49 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I know what you mean about the airlines, plus waiting in airports for flights, working away from home . . .

So yeah, I feel your pain.

Rick / OCRR

Rick / OCRR
I was MIA for most of 2011. When I got back into cycling, I knew I owed the gods of cycling a pain sacrifice. Actually, a lot of pain sacrifices. I had to remind myself that the day would come when I didn't feel like I was going to die from a 13 mile training loop.

Now I'm up to 46 miles as longest for the year, and it was a nasty course at that.

In ten days I attempt a 100K populaire. I think I'll be ready.

But the gods of cycling must be propitiated for your neglect by a pain sacrifice.

Frankly, they prefer a blood sacrifice.

Old 03-09-12, 03:35 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
In ten days I attempt a 100K populaire. I think I'll be ready. Frankly, they prefer a blood sacrifice.
Sorry to hear about that blood part Dudelsack!

Since my 6 bloody crashes in 2006 I've been able to keep my blood inside my body!

Good luck on your 100K Ppoulaire too!

I rode a century (i.e. suffered through it) the weekend after I got back. See my recent thread about Not exactly a pie ride for the Garmin specs and pls. note the miserable average speed . . . yikes.

Oh well, back at it tomorrow in Solvang!

Rick / OCRR

PS: I thought the correct pronunciation for Louisville had only two sylables, i.e. "Loo-vull." That's how I heard it anyway!
Old 03-10-12, 08:53 AM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by david58
From mid January until the end of February, I slept in my own bed a half dozen times - far too many airline tix (flying is sooo much fun ). Not good for fitness - found almost ten of the pounds I lost last summer.

Had a beautiful day for a ride on Saturday last, 32 miles, the first half nice rollers, finishing in the flats before the final climb to the house (had a beer break at mile 19, Rogue's Hopyards are conveniently near home ).

But I was a mess when I got home - totally wiped out.

Two commutes this week, and stole away from work this afternoon since we only get so many 65 degree blue sky days in March (or April, or May.....) here in Western Oregon.

Again, rode 32 miles, mostly the same route. No beer break, just rode it straight up, added some hills. Trimmed about twenty minutes off the ride (did it in just under two hours, pretty fast for me if there are hills since I am old and fat). But DANG. Kicked me arse again.

Would that I were twenty something instead of fifty something.... But kicking my tail is actually kinda fun.

Now the rains (plus wind) come back, so back to the trainer tomorrow night. Whoopee.
Just wait till your in your 70s. It doesn't get any easer.
Old 03-10-12, 09:04 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
Just wait till your in your 70s. It doesn't get any easer.
Does accuracy improve??
Old 03-10-12, 12:09 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Sorry to hear about that blood part Dudelsack!

Since my 6 bloody crashes in 2006 I've been able to keep my blood inside my body!

Good luck on your 100K Ppoulaire too!

I rode a century (i.e. suffered through it) the weekend after I got back. See my recent thread about Not exactly a pie ride for the Garmin specs and pls. note the miserable average speed . . . yikes.

Oh well, back at it tomorrow in Solvang!

Rick / OCRR

PS: I thought the correct pronunciation for Louisville had only two sylables, i.e. "Loo-vull." That's how I heard it anyway!
You are correct, of course.

I grew up on the East Coast. To my dismay I say "thang" instead of "thing" and my "wire" and "where" sound about the same, but I refuse to go native over Loovul.