Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

That didn't take very long...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-08-12, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I resumed commuting on the 10th of February determined to ride no matter what the weather guessers threw my way.

Of course we received a foot and a half of snow on the 11th of February. I rode through it much to the amusement of my co-workers. My wife understood. She could tell how much I missed riding and could sense my uneasyness at feeling trapped in-doors for so long. The road was calling and the sound was becoming almost deafening!! The morning gang down at the Diner seemed almost relieved when they saw me back on the bike (I often stop for breakfast at 06:00 a.m. on my way home from my night shifts). We joked the other day when the temperature briefly hit the 60's that maybe it was getting too warm to ride!!

Since the 10th of last month I have worked 16 twelve hour shifts and I managed to commute by bike for every one of them. Last night it even seemed natural to bundle up against the wind driven rain to cycle the five miles to the job. So I guess I'm back already!!

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly our bodies re-aclimate to routine cycling even after long periods of idle time.

I have not taken any leisure rides yet as it has been cold and windy on my rest days, however I'm picking up my Tour Easy on Friday from the LBS and the weather promises to be in the upper 40's and dry. I hope to either take out the Tour Easy or one of my other recumbents and re-aquaint myself with the trails along the river, ponds, and lakeshore. Who knows, I may even have some pictures to post by next week!!

Last edited by cranky old dude; 03-08-12 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-09-12, 12:06 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's so cool! Great report, and welcome back on the road!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-09-12, 12:10 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear ya, one or two rides for me after a lay-off and I'm good, but, it's a LITTLE funner (not to mention requires less energy), to ride when the wind chill is only in the high 30'sF
Old 03-09-12, 06:35 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
back in the saddle again... there's a song in that somewhere. glad to hear you've gotten your groove on. now I need to do the same.