Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

1st SPD shoes for 50+ feet

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 04:35 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts

any suggestions? I'm leaning toward a MTB style.
suggestions or dos/don'ts about buying shoe-wear on-line
Old 03-12-12, 04:37 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you want to walk in them without sliding around, then yes, get mountain-style. Other than that, be prepared to send a pair or two back because of sizing issues. You may not have to, but chances are good.
Old 03-12-12, 04:46 AM

Bikes: Seven (brand, not number....

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTB...you can walk without sliding or damaging a floor. As for mail order, I got a pair of Mavics last June by using the size I'd been fitted for when I bought my last pair. I used the Euro size....45...and even tho I expected them to be close, when I put them on they were great. Was the first time to ever order shoes on line...good luck!
Old 03-12-12, 05:02 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I like my Sidi Bullets.

Old 03-12-12, 08:38 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Plenty of people can walk in road cleats without skidding and MTB cleats can damage floors. But if a substantial amount of walking around is likely to be part of your riding plans, MTB type shoes and pedals definitely make sense. Buying shoes online is hit or miss for finding comfortable shoes that fit well. Sizing is all over the place and different shoes fit different people different ways. The only way to know for sure is to try them on. But you can save a few bucks buying online if you gety lucky.
Old 03-12-12, 09:05 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I wear mtb style shoes. While I don't typically do much walking when riding I have been forced a couple of times to walk much further than anticipated. If I had the money I would buy some Sidi's and I prefer to try shoes on and buy locally.
Old 03-12-12, 09:54 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Flat sole vs. MTB style depends on your riding style. If you basically just ride, flat soles will spread the pedal contact better. If you're a restaurant-to-restaurant rider like me, MTB is hard to beat.

If you're buying on the internet, order 3 pair - the size you think you need, a size larger and a size smaller. Then return the two that are the wrong size.
Old 03-12-12, 11:07 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Doesn't matter too much as to whether you go road style or MTB but two things you should bear in mind. Get shoes that can take the cleats for the pedals you will be buying and make certain the shoes fit and are comfortable.

I Use SPD's and as such have MTB shoes and shoes that have laces----I don't like the type that just have straps or Velcroe to close the shoe. But laces also cause problems in that they can catch on the pedals- on tree roots and come undone. I now have shoes that have laces but also have a flap(That is closed with velcroe) to cover the laces so the don't get snagged.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-12-12, 11:15 AM
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I know riders who use SPDs on road bikes and ride thousands of miles per year. That said, I tried SPDs and one pair of shoes gave me hot spots (sole was not stiff enough), and then I injured my knee by riding with a misaligned SPD cleat. I also found that I preferred more float than SPD cleats typically offer. So at this point I am using Speedplay Zeros on my road bikes (I like the float), and will probably end up using Crank Brothers Eggbeaters on my MTB (still using platforms right now).

Everyone is different. You have to find something that works for you.
Old 03-12-12, 11:16 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Take two of these and call me in five years... you can find them below $250 if you shop around a little.

They are Sidi Spiders and they are excellent SPD shoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sidi-72594-2010-zoom.jpg (96.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-12-12, 11:30 AM

Bikes: 2020 Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
i bought this shoe about two months ago for mtb. At that time I had no idea I would be getting back on a road bike. These are an awesome duel purpose shoe for around $100.00!!!

https://www.louisgarneau.com/us-en/pr...MULTI_RX_SHOES
Old 03-12-12, 11:47 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
As previously mentioned, buying cycling shoes on line is a hit or miss game that you can spend a lot of time an money until you find the right shoe with the right fit. If you can get to a shop that has a good selection of shoes, you really need to try them on as one brand in size x may/may not fit the same as another brand in size x.

There are several MTB shoes that are extremely stiff and do not cost over $100.00. On my road bike, I ride on Shimano M520 pedals and have over 4,000 miles on them without ever having a hot spot on either foot. I wear the Specialized BG Sport Pro MTB shoes and I guarantee you, they do not bend at any point along the sole; cost $92.00.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-12-12, 12:00 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's obviously a personal preference thing, but I've found that road shoes with cleat covers are almost as walkable as SPDs, and even easier on the hardwood floor. They are much more adjustable, which hels you get things dialed in enough to avoid knee issues.
Old 03-12-12, 12:27 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute to/from work in Keen SPD sandals - comfortable, and I can walk in them with no issues. I wear a pair of Pearl Izumi Vagabond shoes when doing my weekend rides - stiffer sole, still walkable.

I tried using a pair of road shoes for a while, but never bonded with them, they were fine on the bike, but so hard to walk in I just never felt that it was worth-while. Perhaps if I were to ride more and stop for pie less, my opinion would change, but I am not sure that I am willing to try that experiment.
Old 03-12-12, 12:45 PM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I wear the Specialized BG Sport Pro MTB shoes and I guarantee you, they do not bend at any point along the sole; cost $92.00.

I have a 10 year old version of the same shoes. Love' em. The uppers are more like road shoes than mountain shoes, but with enough tread that I can walk normally. I think mine are probably not going to last another season and I'll likely just buy the newer version mentioned above.

Rollin' by Yo Spiff, on Flickr

If I plan of doing a lot off the bike, then I have a pair of MTB shoes with full coverage sneaker-like tread and a recessed cleat.
Old 03-12-12, 01:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sizes can be all over the place!
I'm a size 10.5 wide. My mountain bike shoes are a size 14!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go figure that one out. I got lucky. They came with the used bike I bought and I decided "what the heck I'll try them on" and they fit!

I have these:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=64227

Much easier to walk in than road shoes but I use road shoes on my road bike. They are a size 11.

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 03-12-12 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 01:19 PM
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would advise against buying online unless you know exactly what particular shoe you want and the exact size. Too many variables that can occur to make this a possibly frustrating experience.

As for what type of shoe, it'd help to know how you plan to use it. What sort of riding do you do? What do you typically wear when you ride?
Old 03-12-12, 01:48 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

As a fellow cyclist I suggest spd (mountain shoes) for the off the bike comfort and ease of walking. Since you're 50+ yo, may I also suggest that you worry not only about foot comfort but knee comfort too. To that end, I second the use of Specialized shoes. The built in varus wedge "cured" some knee problems that I was developing (I'm 62 yo). Specialized shoes are comfortable, durable and the models that I own have the recessed cleats and rubber bottoms without cleats, so there is no floor damage at all.

Last edited by CbadRider; 03-14-12 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comment
Old 03-12-12, 02:59 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Thanks for the info about the Specialized shoes though.

Last edited by CbadRider; 03-14-12 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comment.
Old 03-13-12, 07:56 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The reason for buying locally that I haven't seen posted yet is cleat fitting.

At least around here the purchase of shoes and pedals includes a cleat fitting. First time out, go local, and get the fitting.
Old 03-13-12, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
It's obviously a personal preference thing, but I've found that road shoes with cleat covers are almost as walkable as SPDs, and even easier on the hardwood floor. They are much more adjustable, which helps you get things dialed in enough to avoid knee issues.
+1 on this. Just this last 10 days or so, I've been trying to use SPDs again on my commuter, and find that I'm starting to get knee pain because they are not adjustable enough to accommodate the range of motion I need. Last night was a real wake up call when the pain at the top of the knee was so intense trying to go up a flight of stairs, that it took my breath away. I'm a bit envious of those who can successfully use them.
Old 03-13-12, 10:34 AM

thanks TSL, makes sense. I might use old pedals with mini clips for now
Old 03-13-12, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I agree that road shoes, especially with covers, and easy to walk in. The main advantage that road cleats have over mountain bike cleats is the wider contact area. SPDs often are described as "riding with a walnut" in your shoe. Of course the stiffer the sole (especially stiff CF) reduces that.
Old 03-13-12, 04:45 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Your typical Spud pedal's ends should supply some of the width the cleat lacks .. ..

I would also BeneSugg the Local shop, as a place for your test fitting.
50 may not sit on the floor on spec, just in case you walk in, but they will order one to try,
and if Its not a good fit you don't have to send it back anywhere ..

they may even order a 49, and a 51,or52 just to increase the odds of fitting..
Old 03-13-12, 05:07 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear a 50, and ended up ordering online from a site that allowed returns so long as you only tried it on for fit, as opposed to using it on the bike. I also tried a few at my LBS, including a couple they brought in. None of them worked as well as what I got online.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.